Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chances of ESL work - non-EU citizen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mote.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject: Chances of ESL work - non-EU citizen. Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I know it's probably a long shot, but I am just wondering what chances there are of finding sponsored work teaching English in CZ for a non-EU citizen.

I am currently completing a Master of Applied Linguistics (TESOL), and I am an Australian citizen.

If not sponsored work, anybody know if it is possible to get 'under the counter' teaching work?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a long shot.
Non-EU citizens are still eligible for legal working permits in the Czech Republic.

The bad news is that your related MA isn't likely to pay off in the short run. There are few 'better' jobs (not working for privately owned language centers) around.

Your best bet is to come over in early September, take your CV around to the language centers, and make a professional impression. It's possible to grow into a 'better' job with local contacts and a local rep.

Keep in mind that jobs are very rarely found from abroad in this area, and that there are start-up costs - you should be sure to come with enough funds to cover yourself for two or three months at least (2,000-3,000 euro if you are reasonably frugal).

You'll want an employer who will assist you with the legal paperwork, ideally. Otherwise, you'll need someone with proficient Czech language skills to assist you.

Good luck - and please feel free to ask further questions if needed! There are several of us around who can help.
mote.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for your reply Smile

I understand that having a Master's won't benefit me much more in terms of pay, but I'm hoping it will make me stand out in the sea of applicants a little bit.

I'll probably be arriving in December, so will hope to find some places still hiring in January. I have a place to stay in prague with a friend who is a czech citizen who says she will support me in any way so that's always useful...
Chris Westergaard

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mote.

Your chances are actually really high in terms of success. Most the teachers working in Prague aren't EU and you'll be fine. The main thing you need to worry about is getting legal and finding accommodation. It looks like you've got the accommodation sorted, but you'll need to be on the lease to get legal. As an Australian, you'll also need to get a criminal background check for your visa. If you want to PM me, I'm happy to give you some more information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: