Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BAE Advice
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leggeymountbatten

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: BAE Advice Reply with quote

I have noticed BAE are advertising for direct hire teachers in Riyadh and Dhahran.
I have heard conflicting accounts about the desirability, or otherwise, of working for BAE.
Can somebody give a definitive answer - is the money worth it??
Thanks,
Leggey
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you put a price on maintaining your sanity ?
Lord T

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the adverts for these jobs are always professional and give the impression that they will hire only the very best.

In reality the agent is looking for someone who appears relatively sober and sane. The agent passes the teacher on to BAE and takes his commission.

The teacher arrives at BAE and is left to his own devices to deal with the chaos that surrounds him.

A familiar story, I believe.
leggeymountbatten

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord T - that seems to chime with other reports that I have had about BAE.
I received information that the Induction process both in Preston in the UK, and in Saudi itself are chaotic to say the least.
The impression I have received is that the BAE organisation is too big for its own good. There is little coordination between management and departments, and as you say, teachers are just left to get on with it at the sharp end dealing with very difficult cadets.
I also heard that the sick rate among teachers is very high. To be honest, it sounds like a very stressful gig.
I would be pleased however to know more because I understand that the pay is rather good.
That is my question I guess - is it worth it? But Scot47 I think has probably provided the answer to that.
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord T wrote:
Yes, the adverts for these jobs are always professional and give the impression that they will hire only the very best.

In reality the agent is looking for someone who appears relatively sober and sane. The agent passes the teacher on to BAE and takes his commission.

The teacher arrives at BAE and is left to his own devices to deal with the chaos that surrounds him.

A familiar story, I believe.

Sounds awful, Lord T. I always thought that BAE was THE English teaching job in the Gulf. What exactly is the ¨chaos¨? I liked your comment about ¨sober and sane¨ Sobriety and sanity cannot be taken for granted in KSA. Smile
Lord T

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A teacher who recently left after working there 7 years told me that many of the direct hires had been replaced by teachers recruited by agents.

He said the new teachers were fine, but that there was nobody prepared to organise them. This led to the sort of chaos I mentioned.

That's his view of the situation, there will be others, of course.
sicklyman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheikh radlinrol wrote:
I always thought that BAE was THE English teaching job in the Gulf.

no one who has ever worked for BAE would ever have told you that.

I have had a few friends who worked for BAE in Dhahran in my three years here. All bar one has left and every one of them hates it.

An employer who provides you with no staffroom and insists that you are accountable to people who have zero TEFL quals or experience is not worth working for. Recruits are abysmal... easily some of the worst in the Kingdom.

The perks of the compound do not outweigh the stresses induced by the job. In fact, the stresses of the job are more than likely to make some 'perks' of the compound potentially life-threatening.

Up to you, but I would prepare yourself for a tough ride if you do get that job.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I've got 2 pals there now. Tough gig. Very early start in the morning and the usual chaos and difficult trainees. Both of my pals have a game plan, which is 2 or 3 years max and out.
One of my friends, who is normally fit, has said he's too tired to exercise after a shattering day.
It's the usal Gulf relationship of top money=tough job.
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sicklyman wrote:

The perks of the compound do not outweigh the stresses induced by the job. In fact, the stresses of the job are more than likely to make some 'perks' of the compound potentially life-threatening.

You mean you could be driven to the bottle? Crying or Very sad
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by the number of bars on BAe compounds I would say that "being driven to the bottle" is conscious HR policy.
sicklyman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheikh radlinrol wrote:

it's a sure sign that people are not as happy as they might say they are.

Last edited by sicklyman on Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:38 am; edited 1 time in total
izmigari

Location: Rubbing shoulders with the 8-Ball in the top left pocket

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sicklyman wrote:
sheikh radlinrol wrote:

Never seen more alcohol in one place in all my life. More bars per square km too... it's a sure sign that people are not as happy as they might say they are.

Back in the late 90's, I visited a BAe-leased compound just down Tak Street from the Euro"trashe" where they had turned a villa into a liquor factory.

Beer, Wine & Sid were being produced, bottled & distributed with assembly line efficiency.

Alcohol, the age-old, tried & true British coping mechanism.
desertfox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a recent stint at the Technical Studies Institute (TSI) for BAE at Dhahran.

1. The days were extremely long and tiring. The bus from the compound left at 5.45am and returned there at 4pm. The norm is 6 lessons a day, some do more depending upon the variables of the teaching timetable. The student cadets are, on the whole, challenging and difficult. The levels are very low. Fights in the classroom between cadets tend to happen all too frequently. a large percentage of the classes are remedial - the cadets are not natural language learners. To be fair, if you give them the time of day individually, they are ok. One has a degree of sympathy with them as people. But, as a collective, they do not make a pretty sight.

2. Cadets sleeping in class is a major problem at TSI. It is not just laziness. they appear completely out on their feet. They are often impossible to rouse. You have to make them stand up (if you can) or send them to an officer by issuing them with a chit. Classroom management takes up about 95% of the teachers time and energy - the teaching part of it is relegated to irrelevance.

3. If a cadet is seen sleeping by a senior teacher or an officer, the teacher can be, and is, held liable for it. I knew one case where a teacher received a "Notice of Non-Compliance." This is effectively a warning for allowing a cadet to sleep in class. If a teacher receives 3 of these, he can be sacked without further ado. The corridors are patrolled daily by senior teachers and sometimes by officers. The sleeping problem is an epidemic. This does not make TSI a very comfortable place to work. You feel as if you are constantly being monitored. In short, you are put into an almost impossible situation.

4. TSI is poorly managed, I would argue, by both the Saudi military and BAE. The cadets are woken up very early in the mornings, 3.30am appears to be the norm, and are put through a punishing schedule of marching, press ups, anything punitive. They then arrive at 6.30am to the classroom and are expected to put in a full days academic study. Many are not in any state to absorb anything, that alone a foreign language - hence the problems the teachers have to contend with.

5. It is as if the whole place is designed to set teachers up to fail. The management now even want to extend the working hours on Thursdays (presently an early 1pm finish) to bring Thursdays into line with the rest of the week. Increased hours, and the imminent privatization of teachers contracts, doesn't make for an attractive option for potential new recruits.

In my view, it is the sort of the place where one would grow old quickly. The compound is nice, but does not nearly compensate for the horrors of the job. Ditto the money.
Lord T

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume desertfox that you are British and were either a direct hire or hired by a recruiter.

Did the person/people that hired you give you any indication of the sort of problems you would encounter at BAe?

I know there is an induction in the UK before you fly out, did they tell you about the disciplinary procedures that you may be subjected to in the event of students being caught sleeping in your classes?

Do you feel that you have been let down by BAe and/or the recruiting agents?
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertfox tells the story the way I heard it over long periods in KSA wher I worked for more civilised employers. When I posted warnings in the forum it was suggested that I was jealous because of the huge salaries paid by BAe. No thanks. Not for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: