Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BAE Advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hash

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like a nightmare to me. Good luck to anyone having to take this job.

Notice this little tidbit posted above:

Student ages: 18-50 years. .......... Do you know what it's like to "teach" a 50 year old "soldier"? I've done it.....poor guys can hardly get into their seats, let alone rise from them.

This goes to show the real reason these programs exist. It's not to teach....it's not even really to "train". It's that they don't know what to do with all this surplus personnel......you're training a 50 year old? In a language? For what? To win a seat at Sandhurst? Or West Point?

So, what's the answer? Why.... "Put them in an English class!!" Doesn't matter at what level or for what purpose or what qualifications the students should have or even what qualifications the teacher has. None of that matters. What matters is that they're "active" at something.

And for this you need a Master's or other high language qualification?
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord T wrote:
Do you happen to have any idea what the 'attrition' rate among staff (I mean agency, Language Solutions, staff is)? Interviewer said it was ca. 50% within a 3-month period if I recall correctly.

I believe it was 100% in May of this year, but a few might have changed their mind. After all, I'm sure no-one at Langsols would try to mislead you.[/quote]

Lord T: 100% is high, although I have to admit I saw an advert from Jan 2016 seeking 20 teachers so presumably that reflects a high attrition rate since the previous September start.

When you say 100% from last May, are you taking into account those who may have been transferred to direct hire by BAE? I understand that the langsols 3-month 'business'/temp.work visa' cohorts enables BAE to 'fish' for new BAE staff more cheaply and efficiently rather than going through the whole 2-3 month iqama acquisition hassle.
Lord T

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say 100% from last May, are you taking into account those who may have been transferred to direct hire by BAE? I understand that the langsols 3-month 'business'/temp.work visa' cohorts enables BAE to 'fish' for new BAE staff more cheaply and efficiently rather than going through the whole 2-3 month iqama acquisition hassle.[/quote]

I was told that Langsols sent 8 teachers in February, and all of them chose to leave in May- if that's not the case, I will stand corrected.

Lord T
desertfox

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had recent experience with BAE in Dhahran, I believe that what Lord T has said on attrition is correct.
The proportions are appalling, and should serve as a warning to potential applicants.
Best to find something more suitable.

Desertfox
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand, if you are prepared for a 'worst case scenario', $4500 per month for 3 months means this salary, when transformed into sterling (thanks to Brexit and a weaker pound) means nearly an extra £350 a month, so an extra 'buffer zone' of £1000 which should help transition people out of Saudi back to normality if need be. Though, of course, you should prepare for contingencies.

Also, if starting in Sep, you might have the added 'buffer zone' of a winter break and the courage to manage an extra 3 months which would almost total 7 months of salary if you take into account the 'Xmas pause'.

Lord T: 8 teachers in, 8 teachers out.....ouch!

So many stories we could hear about and mull over...... but maybe they take signing the Official Secrets Act seriously.
danshengou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, take it only if you are desperate or greedy. Quick cash. Get in, get out. And hopefully you don't need 6 months off to recuperate so you wind up broke again and repeating the cycle.
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched the film noir 'In a Lonely Place' with Bogart (not easily available but can be found on www.putlocker.is)

Contentwise, thematically unconnected with Dhahran, but titlewise.......

Hope youtube and putlocker aren't blocked out there.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Saudis don't block anything on the internet that I know of. You have to use VPN's only to protect your privacy or obtain services of online companies that operate in the West such as Amazon. Saudi blocking doesn't occur and is not a concern of anyone that is over there. I would still strongly suggest using a VPN when in Saudi Arabia.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danshengou wrote:
Like I said, take it only if you are desperate or greedy. Quick cash. Get in, get out. And hopefully you don't need 6 months off to recuperate so you wind up broke again and repeating the cycle.

Get in and get out, if for no other reason than lots of luck getting references from a company like that. Important services are a serious problem in Saudi Arabia. When applying to any company keep in mind that if your health insurance is anything less than an "A" level type of insurance, lots of luck if you're in a serious accident. Unlike the West, they don't offer treatment by law, regardless of ability to pay, if a patient is in severe pain, might be permanently maimed, might die, may have long term medical complications. Inshallah that might be bestowed someday on the moral awareness on the rulers of the country, and may become more than just a nice suggestion that they might hear from time to time.
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Ninja VPN service should work just fine.....at least i should have access to bbc iplayer.

I saw one advert for Al jazeera International Academy in Riyadh offering 'C' class insurance. God only knows what that covers (does not cover).

At least BAE's must be 'A' class - even for those with Language Solutions on the temporary 3-month 'rolling contract' visa?!
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Class interruptions Reply with quote

Siobhan 22 wrote:
Lena haveit wrote:
Please note that the idiocy of management is developing. An 'innovation' sees upper management in pairs entering classrooms unannounced to check teachers' lesson plans. The latter have to be completed to show two days' plans in advance. Management have harangued teachers in front of cadets and have asked teachers if 'this class is good' in front of cadets. One teacher bit back and has been rewarded with a 'we will discuss this later' response.

It's intimidation by incompetence by management with absolutely thing to do.

The TEFL com advert is not just for BAE but for air force and naval positions in Ta'if and Tabuk, as well as Dhahran.

The terms are below - slightly less generous than BAE (eg. only one return flight) and evidently Ta'if and Tabuk are not exactly Dhahran.

MILTARY ELT TEACHING JOBS/ SAUDI ARABIA – $52,500 & Accommodation

Start date: End of August. As soon as the visa is processed – it takes 2-3 weeks for Saudi Cultural Bureau to verify degree, and then a further one week for the visa to then be issued in London. You don’t need to travel to London until the third to fourth week, or after degree is verified; whichever is sooner.

Salary: 16,500SR monthly tax free ($53,000 annually approximately)
Housing: Private single furnished apartment – free and NOT deducted from salary
Type: These are for single or unaccompanied males; not ideal for families.

Length: One year contract renewable
Medical Insurance: Full cover
Air ticket: Single flight as start of contract & repatriation when leaving company permanently
Visa: Full work residency/ iqama from start

Vacation: 30 days paid leave annually, used when teacher requests
Utilities: Covered by company
Transportation: To and from work covered by company

Locations: Where and when company requires it – Saudi Arabia: Riyadh, Ta’if, Tabuk and Dhahran

Class sizes: 12-16 approximately
Student ages: 18-50 years
Contact: 6 x 50 minute classes daily maximum. No split shifts. 2 days weekends off.

Teaching: General English Language and IELTS (4.5) Training courses in training centres

Hiring Companies: Sponsored by Fahad International Services and Training (FIST Co. Ltd) and Al’Hadaff Co. Ltd. Serving SDT (Saudi Development Training) and British Aerospace Systems Saudi Arabia serving the Royal Saudi Air Force or Royal Saudi Naval Bases.

This sounds much like the arrangement I have in my gig (different company and branch).

From looking at the landscape of Saudi, realistically this is by far one of the better-paying entry gigs in the kingdom given that few jobs are offering over 12,000/mo and QEHC is trying (along with other shady operations) to pile-drive the market with a pathetic 9000.

And Plumpy - lots of websites are blocked in Saudi, although certainly most popular newsites and forums are unblocked these days. VPN is strongly recommended.
danshengou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Internet is less clogged and filtered than in China, but a VPN is still a necessity as many things are in fact blocked. The added anonymity can't hurt either.
bigdurian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Class interruptions Reply with quote

RustyShackleford wrote:
Siobhan 22 wrote:
Lena haveit wrote:
Please note that the idiocy of management is developing. An 'innovation' sees upper management in pairs entering classrooms unannounced to check teachers' lesson plans. The latter have to be completed to show two days' plans in advance. Management have harangued teachers in front of cadets and have asked teachers if 'this class is good' in front of cadets. One teacher bit back and has been rewarded with a 'we will discuss this later' response.

It's intimidation by incompetence by management with absolutely thing to do.

The TEFL com advert is not just for BAE but for air force and naval positions in Ta'if and Tabuk, as well as Dhahran.

The terms are below - slightly less generous than BAE (eg. only one return flight) and evidently Ta'if and Tabuk are not exactly Dhahran.

MILTARY ELT TEACHING JOBS/ SAUDI ARABIA – $52,500 & Accommodation

Start date: End of August. As soon as the visa is processed – it takes 2-3 weeks for Saudi Cultural Bureau to verify degree, and then a further one week for the visa to then be issued in London. You don’t need to travel to London until the third to fourth week, or after degree is verified; whichever is sooner.

Salary: 16,500SR monthly tax free ($53,000 annually approximately)
Housing: Private single furnished apartment – free and NOT deducted from salary
Type: These are for single or unaccompanied males; not ideal for families.

Length: One year contract renewable
Medical Insurance: Full cover
Air ticket: Single flight as start of contract & repatriation when leaving company permanently
Visa: Full work residency/ iqama from start

Vacation: 30 days paid leave annually, used when teacher requests
Utilities: Covered by company
Transportation: To and from work covered by company

Locations: Where and when company requires it – Saudi Arabia: Riyadh, Ta’if, Tabuk and Dhahran

Class sizes: 12-16 approximately
Student ages: 18-50 years
Contact: 6 x 50 minute classes daily maximum. No split shifts. 2 days weekends off.

Teaching: General English Language and IELTS (4.5) Training courses in training centres

Hiring Companies: Sponsored by Fahad International Services and Training (FIST Co. Ltd) and Al’Hadaff Co. Ltd. Serving SDT (Saudi Development Training) and British Aerospace Systems Saudi Arabia serving the Royal Saudi Air Force or Royal Saudi Naval Bases.

This sounds much like the arrangement I have in my gig (different company and branch).

From looking at the landscape of Saudi, realistically this is by far one of the better-paying entry gigs in the kingdom given that few jobs are offering over 12,000/mo and QEHC is trying (along with other shady operations) to pile-drive the market with a pathetic 9000.

And Plumpy - lots of websites are blocked in Saudi, although certainly most popular newsites and forums are unblocked these days. VPN is strongly recommended.

Definitely a well paying starter job, but useful for getting to know people and move on to better paying military jobs elsewhere.. that could be the real bonus.

20-25k+ can still be found.

And if you stay at a place for a few years with regular payrises etc.......
danshengou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Class interruptions Reply with quote

Quote:
20-25k+ can still be found. And if you stay at a place for a few years with regular payrises etc.

IF you lasted longer than 6 months at this gig it would be a miracle, let alone made military EFL a career, especially in Saudi Shocked
bigdurian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Class interruptions Reply with quote

danshengou wrote:
Quote:
20-25k+ can still be found. And if you stay at a place for a few years with regular payrises etc.

IF you lasted longer than 6 months at this gig it would be a miracle, let alone made military EFL a career, especially in Saudi Shocked

Currently happy where I am, which is worth a lot in the land that time forgot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: