Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PGCE question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul.conlong

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: PGCE question Reply with quote

Hello folks,

Hope you're all good and well.

I was hoping someone would know if it's possible to complete a PGCE qualification whilst abroad. If so does it have to be at a school accredited by the University.

For instance if I'm teaching at a Saudi University can I start working on becoming qualified and use the job abroad as part of the teaching element for the PGCE.

Regards

Paul
mrpianoman

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A PGCE is a british qualification so I don't think you can do part of it abroad. I think you have to use UK schools to do you ITT. I think you can do your NQT year abroad though once you have your PGCE. Best check with th university you want to do the PGCE with though to make sure.
ttxor1

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul.conlong wrote:

I was hoping someone would know if it's possible to complete a PGCE qualification whilst abroad.

Sort of. You can work towards a PGCEi whilst abroad.

paul.conlong wrote:
If so does it have to be at a school accredited by the University.

It's not so much if it is at a school accredited by the University. It's a question of whether the UK based university through which you're doing the PGCEi offers the required tutorials in the country you're in.

paul.conlong wrote:
For instance if I'm teaching at a Saudi University can I start working on becoming qualified and use the job abroad as part of the teaching element for the PGCE.

Ok, what you're looking for is something called the PGCEi. The "i" is for international. Through discussions with a tutor at a British university where I studied, and where the PGCEi is offered, I gathered that the PGCEi is a route to gaining the full PGCE. The PGCEi does not confer QTS, or Qualified Teacher Status. This must be completed through classroom observations in the UK. QTS is required to be awarded the PGCE.

The PGCEi involves face to face tutorials/lectures/workshops with tutors from the UK based university who visit, for example, Saudi Arabia a few times a year. I assume that written papers and other coursework is required as well, but I haven't done this qualification, so don't know for certain.

Have a look at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualified_Teacher_Status#Postgraduate_Certificate_in_Education_.28PGCE.29

So, why not check if the UK based university you're studying in offers the PGCEi in, for example, Saudi Arabia.

Then, we want to know how the PGCEi can work towards QTS. I'm fairly sure that this will require relocating to the UK for some time to comple successful classroom observations and perhaps additional coursework.

Good luck, and please don't hesitate to ask for further clarification. I would be happy to get in touch with a tutor who works on the PGCEi program with specific questions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: