Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ryan Boundless - Dream Crusher Series
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Ryan Boundless - Dream Crusher Series Reply with quote

This video should be mandatory viewing for every ALT or eikaiwa wannabe thinking about coming to Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0YHo_U4Ufc&list=UUxbzhCDLCo5tIrENwB8T6PQ
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: 15 years? Reply with quote

He doesn't directly say that he is employed as an ALT or an eikaiwa employee, but you can tell.

He does say that he has been an "English teacher" in Japan for 15 years.

Still in these bottom rung jobs after so long... Working in marginal employment like this will result in dissatisfaction with work, social life (he complains about socializing with coworkers), and the society you live in. Become an ALT or eikaiwa employee and you, too, can be just like Ryan.
nightsintodreams

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't decide if that was the funniest or saddest thing I've seen all week. Either way, cheers for the laugh.
nightsintodreams

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a more positive note, look at the kind of people that we have to compete with for the better jobs.

http://youtu.be/rZXyeUUu8RA

Did that guy just smoke a bong before asking about the welfare system in Japan?
KatiePowers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, it should be mandatory to listen to some bitter and resentful stoner as he lists off his personal grudges and other completely subjective nonsense?

I got about halfway through before my eyes started to hurt from rolling too much. He doesn't seem to have a realistic understanding of what it's like to work in a service related industry, nor does he seem like he particularly wants to be in Japan.

The nagging question on my mind was, if things were so terrible, why didn't he hop on the next flight home?
rtm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KatiePowers wrote:
Um, it should be mandatory to listen to some bitter and resentful stoner as he lists off his personal grudges and other completely subjective nonsense?

The question he was responding to was "What are the top 5 things you dislike the most about teaching English in Japan?", so of course he's going to talk about the negatives, in his subjective opinion. A lot of what he said didn't seem to be entirely inaccurate, if a bit exaggerated.
Maitoshi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KatiePowers wrote:

I got about halfway through before my eyes started to hurt from rolling too much. He doesn't seem to have a realistic understanding of what it's like to work in a service related industry, nor does he seem like he particularly wants to be in Japan.

The nagging question on my mind was, if things were so terrible, why didn't he hop on the next flight home?

Because just about anywhere else, but home, is better?
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KatiePowers wrote:

Katie,

I really liked his video and his point of view. Everything he said really matched with what I've experienced over the years teaching EFL in Japan. And I agree with him 100%.

It's really interesting how people can have two extreme opposite reactions to something like this. I really liked it and recommend newbies watch and listen to what he says and you could not stand listening to it. Amazing.

Finally, he didn't say he was unhappy - not now. He said he teaches 10 hours per-week now, and that's enough for him to pay all of his expenses.

I think he might be a university instructor now or he has been able to string together a number of lucrative part-time jobs like many long-timers here have done.

Everything he said is true, as far as I'm concerned. So I'm surprised you have such a strong opinion against what he said.
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maitoshi wrote:
KatiePowers wrote:

Because just about anywhere else, but home, is better?

Yeah and maybe after 15 years here, he is home. Japan is his home.

He just hates working shit jobs. Who doesn't?
nightsintodreams

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree with most of what he said. He was just talking about the negatives, that's what he was asked to do. There are plenty of positives of course, but that's not what he was asked to discuss.

I think the key to staying sane and happy in the eikaiwa or ALT line of work is to not take it too seriously; go in, do your job, and don't worry too much about it. If a lesson goes badly, don't stress about it. If your working conditions become unbearable then just say screw it and find another job. Find things outside of work that you enjoy or that challenge you and work on improving your situation by means of private lessons, studying Japanese or getting qualifications.
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightsintodreams wrote:
I think the key to staying sane and happy in the eikaiwa or ALT line of work is to not take it too seriously; go in, do your job, and don't worry too much about it.

If a lesson goes badly, don't stress about it. If your working conditions become unbearable then just say screw it and find another job.

Find things outside of work that you enjoy or that challenge you and work on improving your situation by means of private lessons, studying Japanese or getting qualifications.

That's really nice advice.

I agree.

But I would go further, if you find yourself in an ALT or eikaiwa position but want to stay long-term in TEFL, run towards a master's or doctorate. You can improve your life and working conditions incredibly by just getting a master's degree.

It really is a life changing experience to go from eikaiwa / ALT to a university teaching position.

It's a night and day difference.
RM1983

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id say the cat has been out of the bag for a while now, and you probably wont find many many long term eikawa teachers at entry level anymore. No one in their right mind is going to attempt to make a career out of it.

The next thing though is I think quite soon youll have a surplus of people with MA's and the "higher level" jobs will start sinking. I believe that some university-type positions are rescinding in quality, only part time contracts and whatnot.

Once eikawa and alt hits bottom, the rest of the industry will be dragged down with it.
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RM1983 wrote:
The next thing though is I think quite soon youll have a surplus of people with MA's and the "higher level" jobs will start sinking.

I believe that some university-type positions are rescinding in quality, only part time contracts and whatnot.

I agree.

In fact, yesterday I saw an advertisement for positions at Rikkyo University. They require a 6 day work week. 4 years, I think, was the max for contract renewals. There are better contract jobs out there but many of them are slave factories - Kansai Gaidai University, Kanda Gaidai, Ritsumeikan, etc.

Terrible conditions and compensation for the amount of time they require you to put in at these schools.
rxk22

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He seems a bit out there, and TKsam is lame. Of course, even in the US, I wouldn't hire TKSam, guy looks like a loser. How can you go to an interview with a bandana on, and expect to get hired, outside of a oil rigging job?

I do agree with him on face time and parties. Unless I was a FT employee, with benes, I wouldn't feel obligated to go. That isn't something that employees should feel even a little bit obligated, to go to.

Japanese usually are taught English by JT's, for years. By the time you get to them, their English has been ruined. I agree, JTs and katakana are Japanese people's biggest obstacle to learning proper English.

That said, unless you are way in the boonies with JET, you should be able to make some contacts here in a few years. I suck at networking, but I was able to get a private school position after 3 years. If I could do, even a weirdo can do it.
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rxk22 wrote:
He seems a bit out there, and TKsam is lame. Of course, even in the US, I wouldn't hire TKSam, guy looks like a loser. How can you go to an interview with a bandana on, and expect to get hired, outside of a oil rigging job?

Is that who Ryan is referring to as the teacher wearing a bandana - Tkyosam?

He acts and looks like a douchebag. Imagine having this fatty living on your street screaming like that. But I also agree with what he's said about ALT work. He and Ryan both share similar views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiJGj0s4SWo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: