Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

British Family Attacked in Thailand
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knedliki wrote:
I wrote "Thais usually fight fairly"
Shake wrote "Thais are not a violent people"

Not wanting to put words in Shakey's mouth but I think he was being ironic too. Can you explain why you took such exception to my post?

1stSgtWelsh wrote:

I'm actually studying a Master's in English Literature and I think I have a pretty good understanding of concepts like irony, literal expression etc. However, like I explained before, we have emoticons for a reason and this is not a good medium to convey sarcasm/irony. That's not to say you can't do it (Shakey did it on this thread, without causing any misunderstandings).

I didn't take exception to your original post. However, if another member takes the trouble to ask me a question, or reply to one of my posts, then I think they are entitled to the courtesy of a response.

Anyway, like I said before, I just think you expressed yourself poorly, and when it resulted in predictable confusion and misunderstanding, you went on to blame everyone else and you gave your reasons for doing so. I disagreed with those reasons. That's all.
Knedliki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not getting it are you?

Why do you think I expressed myself poorly?

Just saying "because I think so" doesn't wash with me. It's the argument of an eight year old.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knedliki wrote:
Knedliki wrote:
I wrote "Thais usually fight fairly"
Shake wrote "Thais are not a violent people"

Not wanting to put words in Shakey's mouth but I think he was being ironic too. Can you explain why you took such exception to my post?

I'm still waiting for your explanation. Why do you think I expressed myself poorly?

Sheesh, can I have a few minutes? I do have other things to do.

Anyway, I've already answered your question. Below are my reasons:

1. "Well, others took it as you expressing surprise over the event because "Thais usually fight fairly". Why not?"
2. "Like I said before, probably very few (if any) people here know you from a bar of soap and sincere idiotic/inaccurate statements get posted on Dave's all the time!"
3. "Furthermore, speaking for myself, I typically don't study forum posts here for non-literal meanings as the purpose of this forum is to communicate ideas/information instantly."
4. "However, like I explained before, we have emoticons for a reason".
5. "This is not a good medium to convey sarcasm/irony. That's not to say you can't do it (Shakey did it on this thread, without causing any misunderstandings)."

To be honest, that's the best I've got and I've tried to express myself as reasonably as I can. People can disagree without being disagreeable. If you want to maintain that you originally expressed yourself impeccably, and appropriately for this medium, that you're right, and that plumpy nut, the originalprankster and myself [and probably more than a few other readers who didn't post] were/are at fault, presumably, because they are unaccustomed to "the nuances of the English language", then, like I said, "there's no harm in that either" and that's fine.
Knedliki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want you to explain yourself, that's all. You don't need to make such a drama out of it. Either admit that you're in the wrong (very unlikely), explain yourself or stop trying to dig yourself into a huge hole about it.

Good day to you anyway
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knedliki wrote:
I just want you to explain yourself, that's all. You don't need to make such a drama out of it. Either admit that you're in the wrong (very unlikely), explain yourself or stop trying to dig yourself into a huge hole about it.

Good day to you anyway

There are a few things above that I could disagree with, but, I won't. This bickering isn't going to achieve much and, if it continues, it will only succeed in derailing and locking this thread. That's not fair to the other posters. Good luck to you Knedliki and all the best!
Knedliki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st Sgt Welsh wrote:
Knedliki wrote:

Good day to you anyway

There are a few things above that I could disagree with, but, I won't. This bickering isn't going to achieve much and, if it continues, it will only succeed in derailing and locking this thread. That's not fair to the other posters. Good luck to you Knedliki and all the best!

Lots of things I could disagree with too. You seem to have a very high opinion of yourself . If I criticise someone's use of the English language I'm prepared to back up my argument with some kind of explanation.

You can stick to your "because I think so "argument if you think it gives you the moral high ground.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knedliki wrote:
1st Sgt Welsh wrote:
Knedliki wrote:

Good day to you anyway

Lots of things I could disagree with too. You seem to have a very high opinion of yourself . If I criticise someone's use of the English language I'm prepared to back up my argument with some kind of explanation.

You can stick to your "because I think so "argument if you think it gives you the moral high ground.

Oh well, I tried Confused.

I wouldn't say that I criticized your use of the English language. I would say that I was critical of the way that you choose to express yourself, on one particular instance, taking into consideration the particular medium that was being used. That's assuming you were writing with the intention of being understood.

At least three posters here completely mistook your meaning initially. I've given you five reasons as to why I believe you didn't express yourself well originally, within the context of this forum. For the same five reasons, I also don't believe that the resultant misunderstandings, as you claimed, were other people's fault.

Believe it or not, I'm not trying to hurt people's feelings or make anyone angry and I, honestly, can't believe that this has reached the stage that it has. I'm sorry, but, I've really got nothing else to add, except to say that if you keep hurling out insults, and getting off topic, then I can guarantee that this thread will be locked by the moderators.
Knedliki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why you keep saying about the context of this forum . This forum is for English language teachers, English language teachers who sadly don't understand irony. Hey ho.

Can you point out where I've hurled out insults?

All I've done is ask you to explain why two ironic sentences can cause such misunderstanding.

Thais are not violent people.

Thais usually fight fairly.

I'm all ears. Not literally, obviously.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post.

Last edited by 1st Sgt Welsh on Sun May 01, 2016 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="1st Sgt Welsh"]
Knedliki wrote:

Can you point out where I've hurled out insults?

"You seem to have a very high opinion of yourself"

I guess we can quibble on the term "insult" but I didn't take the above to be a positive comment.

Quote:
All I've done is ask you to explain why two ironic sentences can cause such misunderstanding.

Thais are not violent people.

Thais usually fight fairly.

You've asked quite a bit more than that and, when I've given you the detailed reasons, you don't address them on point or provide counter arguments. To be honest, I thought I had actually addressed adequately the above quotes in my post located at the top of this page, but, evidently, I'll have to take another crack at it.

Anyway, for some reason, you want to compare your sentence with Shakey's. However, by doing so, you are not comparing apples with apples. If you want to know why I say that then I'd suggest you start by looking at both posts in their entirety, not just two individual sentences. You'll be able to work it out from there, given your nuanced understanding of the English language and everything.

It's a red herring anyway, because, as I have already stated, Shakey didn't cause any confusion/misunderstandings and he certainly didn't blame others when he failed to make himself properly understood. His post was ironic and other posters saw that. By all means, PM him for some tips on how to use irony properly on an Internet discussion forum if you want to learn more, but, that's got very little to do with me.

Anyway, I really don't see much point in continuing with this, as this side discussion with you has, IMHO, become a complete waste of time. God knows, I tried to end it politely. Good luck to you Knediki and apologizes to the other posters for my part in taking this thread so far off topic.
Knedliki

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've definitely got some control issues going on there . This is my final post on this tedious thread
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bangkok Post referred to six Thais beating to death a disabled man as a "brawl." But, back to this case...the Brits testified in court on Monday, to accommodate their return to England on Tuesday. The reports today state the four cowards face six months to 10 years. It appears that they are NOT well connected. There is a fair chance that they may get a harsh punishment, with plenty of reps from the tourist industry and the local government calling for it, along with some calls from Bangkok. HH isn't Pattaya, or it's not suppose to be, where often victims are told they should have known better. While HH had been somewhat trashed by developers and the people they bring in, over the last decade; it still demands a premium price and is expected to provide premium safety. One of the least favorite places on the trashpacker lists of places to visit in LOS. I'll set the over/under on jail time at two years...each. So, do you bet more or less?
Shakey

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hermosillo wrote:
The reports today state the four cowards face six months to 10 years. It appears that they are NOT well connected.

There is a fair chance that they may get a harsh punishment, with plenty of reps from the tourist industry and the local government calling for it, along with some calls from Bangkok.

I'll set the over/under on jail time at two years...each. So, do you bet more or less?

Has anyone read that the female slapped one of the Thai men, possibly the one who punch / shoved her son, and that the male punched one of the Thai men, too?

I read that the video was edited to not show the British female and male assaulting the Thai men first.
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's shocking. I've never known the Brits to drink to much or start fights, and I've never seen a British woman talk trash or participate in fights ( Rolling Eyes )...but, yeah, we didn't and won't ever see the whole story...like the Brits bar bills that night, like they would likely produce in the US...but 68 is considered "elderly" here, and that counts for a lot, even though we both know there are plenty of 68 year olds that need a country ass-whipin'. I'll stick with my original sentence: 2 years each.
Shakey

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hermosillo wrote:
that's shocking. I've never known the Brits to drink to much or start fights, and I've never seen a British woman talk trash or participate in fights ( :roll: )...but, yeah, we didn't and won't ever see the whole story...like the Brits bar bills that night, like they would likely produce in the US...but 68 is considered "elderly" here, and that counts for a lot, even though we both know there are plenty of 68 year olds that need a country ass-whipin'. I'll stick with my original sentence: 2 years each.

I would agree with that. What can be done? They didn't die. I really don't think Thai society, in general, gives a shit, really.

When will the British stop coming to Thailand? It seems they still keep coming, even thought they get murdered, raped and beaten.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: