Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NITI (KAPLAN/IIL) in Al Hasa
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waltgomez

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: NITI (KAPLAN/IIL) in Al Hasa Reply with quote

This is a quick down and dirty on this place. It’s basically a technical college , and they have ongoing hiring.

First, the good:

1)They get you a business visa so you don’t need to spend weeks or months in the USA /UK/CN etc, and Saudi trying to get an Iqama. They update them in Bahrain in a timely manner. Business visas vary from three months to five years depending on nationality.

2)The salary is US $3840 a month and is generally paid on time. There have been reports of some delays, but these are rare.

3)The school building and facilities are nice, modern and make the place look like an airport more than a school.

4)The accommodations are fair- at a hotel first, then , to an apartment. Can take months to be transfered to an apartment or can take less. Luck of the draw.

Now, the bad:

1)Extremely high turnover of staff. Appears to be in hundreds. Many quit, many also get fired. As a result, most coworkers you have are also newbies and if you ask them most things, they shrug and say : “I don’t know”. Recently, there was a mass lay-off , and about 25 teachers were removed from their jobs- not enough students, apparently.

2)Very rowdy and disobedient students. If you have taught ghetto high schools, this is about as bad as that. You can hear students bark like dogs, neigh like horses , talk on the phones, just do anything they want. It’s very hard to teach them.

3)Very disorganized, chaotic and unreliable management which routinely makes many mistakes in all areas, changes rules arbitrarily and constantly makes and breaks its promises.

While salaries are not messed with, vacations, vacation pay and overtime pay seem to discretionary areas in which sudden changes and mistakes - as well as broken promises- are common.

In addition, there appears to be more than one boss giving conflicting directions and orders.

Conclusion: if you want a job in Saudi, and NITI/Kaplan/IILS, offers you one, yeah, you may want to accept it, but have a contingency plan which you can utilize at any moment. This is not a secure job at all.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waltgomez wrote:
First, the good:

1)They get you a business visa so you don’t need to spend weeks or months in the USA /UK/CN etc, and Saudi trying to get an Iqama. They update them in Bahrain in a timely manner. Business visas vary from three months to five years depending on nationality.

Now, the bad:

1)Extremely high turnover of staff. Appears to be in hundreds. Many quit, many also get fired. As a result, most coworkers you have are also newbies and if you ask them most things, they shrug and say : “I don’t know”. Recently, there was a mass lay-off , and about 25 teachers were removed from their jobs- not enough students, apparently.

While salaries are not messed with, vacations, vacation pay and overtime pay seem to discretionary areas in which sudden changes and mistakes - as well as broken promises- are common.

Conclusion: if you want a job in Saudi, and NITI/Kaplan/IILS, offers you one, yeah, you may want to accept it, but have a contingency plan which you can utilize at any moment. This is not a secure job at all.

No surprise here. The low quality of teachers and the issues with vacation pay and overtime are tied to the fact that this company uses business visit visas (which you refer to as a "the good"). In contrast to proper employment visas, there's no required vetting of the applicant's academic qualifications, experience, mental/physical health, and criminal history --- having a pulse is enough for a biz visit visa.

Additionally, the contract signed between the company and expat teacher isn't recognized by Saudi labor law since this visa type isn't valid for bona fide employment. As such, the company can screw teachers over because there's no legal recourse.
Makkah

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

The low quality of teachers .

How do you know they are low quality?
laughingalltheway

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: NITI Al Hassa Reply with quote

Low quality teachers? Just because there is turnover and people on business visas doesn't mean all the teachers are poor. That is a sweeping generalization.

How is being on a business visa good? Without proper residency you are treated like an alien, like someone that doesn't belong. No ability to rent a car, have a bank account, etc.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
waltgomez wrote:
Now, the bad:

No surprise here. The low quality of teachers and the issues with vacation pay and overtime are tied to the fact that this company uses business visit visas (which you refer to as a "the good"). In contrast to proper employment visas, there's no required vetting of the applicant's academic qualifications, experience, mental/physical health, and criminal history --- having a pulse is enough for a biz visit visa.

I was specifically referring to the OP's mention of clueless newbies and not every teacher on a business visit visa.
mrpianoman

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vetting mental/physical health....costs £250-£350 in London to get a 'certificate' No need to approach one's GP about medical history I don't think!

Criminal history....An ACRO won't show up 'spen't convictions in the UK, it just says 'stepped down' and you may have to provide an explanation (your own one!)

Qualifications- this is the only thing that is properly checked for a proper work visa.

experience- they will check 2 references probably. Anything else on one's CV COULD be exaggerated if need be!
mrpianoman

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, how do you get paid on a business visa if you can't get a bank account. I was on a business visa once but I can't remember how I was paid. Do you get a pseudo bank account or something?
waltgomez

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrpianoman wrote:
Incidentally, how do you get paid on a business visa if you can't get a bank account. I was on a business visa once but I can't remember how I was paid. Do you get a pseudo bank account or something?

You get paid in cash or by transfer to a bank account in home country.
Makkah

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP doesn't mention 'clueless newbies', just 'newbies'.
fester

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Makkah. For once, Nomad Soul's reading skills don't seem to match his writing skills. I found no inference that newbies were poor teachers.

As regards how you get paid on a Business Visa - usually an envelope full of cash, which you can transfer abroad, though this is more difficult for some nationalities than others.

The other option is for the company to transfer it direct to an overseas account.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless things have changed you can't send money overseas without an iqama. One of the Saudi staff members usually has to accompany you so that you can send your money home!
fester

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible to send money to an account overseas without an iqama, although
not for North Americans.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fester wrote:
I agree Makkah. For once, Nomad Soul's reading skills don't seem to match his writing skills. I found no inference that newbies were poor teachers.

Not to mention yours as NS has mentioned frequently that he is a she. LOL

You two seem to be overly protective of newbies and fellow teachers. Most newbies tend to be pretty clueless... and anyone who has taught in these low level jobs knows that a large percentage of teachers in them are inexperienced and/or incompetent.

The truth is that this is even true of some of the better employers... not to mention ESL job back in our home countries.

... just picking nits...

VS
Makkah

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....'just picking nits'.... Shocked Shocked Shocked Not to worry they have a shampoo for that. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrpianoman wrote:
Vetting mental/physical health....costs £250-£350 in London to get a 'certificate' No need to approach one's GP about medical history I don't think!

Criminal history....An ACRO won't show up 'spen't convictions in the UK, it just says 'stepped down' and you may have to provide an explanation (your own one!)

Qualifications- this is the only thing that is properly checked for a proper work visa.

experience- they will check 2 references probably. Anything else on one's CV COULD be exaggerated if need be!

Wishful thinking on your part given that your diploma in piano performance wouldn't make the cut as a bona fide bachelor's degree anyway. The work visa application requirements and process aren't as lax as you make them out to be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: