Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NITI (KAPLAN/IIL) in Al Hasa
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nellyp wrote:
If you are excess to requirements before the end of your contract, do the company (IIL etc) have to pay the return flight? This seems ludicrus as you may not be at fault.

They should and probably do. However, keep in mind there are business visit visas involved --- there's no legal recourse if this company decides to pay for those flights out of the teachers' final paychecks. Hopefully, that won't happen here.
nellyp

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
nellyp wrote:
If you are excess to requirements before the end of your contract, do the company (IIL etc) have to pay the return flight? This seems ludicrus as you may not be at fault.

They should and probably do. However, keep in mind there are business visit visas involved --- there's no legal recourse if this company decides to pay for those flights out of the teachers' final paychecks. Hopefully, that won't happen here.

The visa is such an important issue with rights, but also for pay and rent etc. I wouldn't mind doing the 3 month trips, but the insecurity would be a real issue.
waltgomez

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But frankly, this is more of a consequence of not researching the sponsor/employer before accepting an offer --- regardless of the visa type. In fact, in late 2014, NITI IIL was reported on this forum as a red flag

But it was Kaplan that was advertising and interviewing. Only later we were told that we were teaching at NITI

and that IIL was providing visas.

The main impression was, I was going to work for Kaplan.

This is what trips you up.

Working for three companies instead of Kaplan?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waltgomez wrote:
Quote:
But frankly, this is more of a consequence of not researching the sponsor/employer before accepting an offer --- regardless of the visa type. In fact, in late 2014, NITI IIL was reported on this forum as a red flag

But it was Kaplan that was advertising and interviewing. Only later we were told that we were teaching at NITI

and that IIL was providing visas.

The main impression was, I was going to work for Kaplan.

This is what trips you up.

Working for three companies instead of Kaplan?

This is why it's important to always 1) ask who the employer is during the interview; and 2) pay attention to the name of the entity indicated on the job offer/initial contract as "employer" or "sponsor" rather than focusing only on the salary.
Lord T

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen at least 4 recruiters as well as Kaplan, advertising this job.

A Skype interview with a recruiter, then a longer Skype interview with Kaplan, then an interview with ILL before you can go to work at NITI which is run by TVTC.

No work visa, monthly visa runs, questionable accommodation, rowdy students, frequent redundancies, and the money is on the low side for KSA.

Anyone interested?
sicklyman

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord T wrote:
run by TVTC.

not sure that's the verb I'd use... Rolling Eyes
sicklyman

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord T wrote:
the money is on the low side for KSA.

from an ad on Dave's today:

Quote:
Fantastic salary of 14,400 SAR per month

Laughing
Lord T

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sicklyman, you may have noticed that sales and marketing is not my strongpoint. I have a habit of telling it like it is, which hasn't always been helpful to my social and financial status.

14,400 SAR is on the low side for KSA. However, if it was a nice place to work, it would suit some people. That's as positive as I can be about this particular hardship posting.
nellyp

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord T wrote:
sicklyman, you may have noticed that sales and marketing is not my strongpoint. I have a habit of telling it like it is, which hasn't always been helpful to my social and financial status.

14,400 SAR is on the low side for KSA. However, if it was a nice place to work, it would suit some people. That's as positive as I can be about this particular hardship posting.

Excellent news. I have been looking at job opportunities in the Kingdom for a while now, and I see very few jobs (of this type) on the internet that pay more. Is there any way you point me in the direction of postings or adverts on the net that pay higher than this?

Cheers
nellyp

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sicklyman wrote:
Lord T wrote:
run by TVTC.

not sure that's the verb I'd use... Rolling Eyes

Laughing
Lord T

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news. I have been looking at job opportunities in the Kingdom for a while now, and I see very few jobs (of this type) on the internet that pay more.

nellyp, 'jobs of this type' are the key words here, and most do pay that sort of money or less.

Have you ever heard of the two buckets theory that tries to explain what teachers experience in KSA? Some of the language used in it is not suitable for the forum, but PM me and I'll be happy to share it with you.

Lord T
MI6agent

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord T wrote:
Have you ever heard of the two buckets theory that tries to explain what teachers experience in KSA? Some of the language used in it is not suitable for the forum, but PM me and I'll be happy to share it with you.Lord T

You could have explained the theory without using bad language. . Laughing

Let me explain the two buckets theory in the Mgaic Kingdom:

When you come to work in the Magic Kingdom you have two buckets - one for money, and one for sh**, and you leave when one of them is full. So, if your second bucket is filled very fast, then you have to escape before you catch the insanity virus. If the first bucket is filled fast, then you are lucky man/woman. But these days, with the fall of oil prices, I think the second bucket will be filled in a very very short time. Laughing
nellyp

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord T wrote:
Excellent news. I have been looking at job opportunities in the Kingdom for a while now, and I see very few jobs (of this type) on the internet that pay more.

nellyp, 'jobs of this type' are the key words here, and most do pay that sort of money or less.

Have you ever heard of the two buckets theory that tries to explain what teachers experience in KSA? Some of the language used in it is not suitable for the forum, but PM me and I'll be happy to share it with you.

Lord T

No need, I get it from the post below yours. Lol. it is no less than I expect. At my age, all rose tinted glasses have somewhat tarnished. I'm glad you did not take this in a bad way, as many would have; it was a simple poke as I know where I am and where i may end up Laughing

By the way, it reminds me of the joke about hell and the teabreak. PM me if you ant to know that one. It may take a while to type, but I think it is worth it Twisted Evil

Last edited by nellyp on Wed May 25, 2016 5:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
nellyp

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MI6agent wrote:
Lord T wrote:
Have you ever heard of the two buckets theory that tries to explain what teachers experience in KSA? Some of the language used in it is not suitable for the forum, but PM me and I'll be happy to share it with you.Lord T

You could have explained the theory without using bad language. . Laughing

Let me explain the two buckets theory in the Mgaic Kingdom:

When you come to work in the Magic Kingdom you have two buckets - one for money, and one for sh**, and you leave when one of them is full. So, if your second bucket is filled very fast, then you have to escape before you catch the insanity virus. If the first bucket is filled fast, then you are lucky man/woman. But these days, with the fall of oil prices, I think the second bucket will be filled in a very very short time. Laughing

Wicked... thanks for the explanation. To be honest, I don't need a full bucket; just one that is full enough. If both buckets are filled at the same rate I will be happy, and if one fills up slightly faster than the other i will be happy too (hopefully the money bucket). However, if somebody sticks my head in the wrong bucket I will be none too pleased. The thing is, I have to do this for my family, so carrying around a bucket of sh*$ is the last of my worries Wink
MI6agent

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nellyp wrote:
Wicked... thanks for the explanation. To be honest, I don't need a full bucket; just one that is full enough. If both buckets are filled at the same rate I will be happy, and if one fills up slightly faster than the other i will be happy too (hopefully the money bucket). However, if somebody sticks my head in the wrong bucket I will be none too pleased. The thing is, I have to do this for my family, so carrying around a bucket of sh*$ is the last of my worries Wink

Since you are a family man, then I suggest you adopt the balance theory which will help you drive toward psychological balance in your life in the Magic Kingdom.
The balance theory helped me to save my sanity when I was working in the Magic Kingdom.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: