Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NITI (KAPLAN/IIL) in Al Hasa
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord T

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation MI6agent. Unfortunately I can't tell anyone the theory without using bad language, so your version is better.

nellyp, your acceptance of both buckets filling up simultaneously is a realistic approach. I would say that's the way it happened to me and
most of my colleagues.

Some poor souls had a bucket full of crap before they had chance to save a riyal; I never met anyone who made a packet without having any crap in his bucket.

If such people exist, they will let us know soon.
sicklyman

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by sicklyman on Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas, it seems my cover has been blown. Very Happy

Regards,
Prince Yahya
waltgomez

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
both buckets

The two buckets metaphor does not include the getting laid off and/or fired outcome.
waltgomez

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recent horror story about the place is the unconfirmed news that the teachers who were laid off have been kept at a hotel until further notice but not getting paid. The Labor Board is apparently being involved.

At the same time, with the large lay offs, the company is openly advertising and hiring people.

This is all very Kafkaesque.

Would someone who is at NITI respond and tell the people here what the scoop is?
2buckets

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waltgomez wrote:
Quote:
both buckets

The two buckets metaphor does not include the getting laid off and/or fired outcome.

I think that when you are laid off and/or fired your BS bucket just got filled.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even as much as move in the direction of teaching in Saudi Arabia at your own risk. The Saudis look at Westerners as something to use.
izmigari

Location: Rubbing shoulders with the 8-Ball in the top left pocket

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MI6agent wrote:
nellyp wrote:
Wicked... thanks for the explanation. To be honest, I don't need a full bucket; just one that is full enough. If both buckets are filled at the same rate I will be happy, and if one fills up slightly faster than the other i will be happy too (hopefully the money bucket). However, if somebody sticks my head in the wrong bucket I will be none too pleased. The thing is, I have to do this for my family, so carrying around a bucket of sh*$ is the last of my worries Wink

Since you are a family man, then I suggest you adopt the balance theory which will help you drive toward psychological balance in your life in the Magic Kingdom.
The balance theory helped me to save my sanity when I was working in the Magic Kingdom.

Heider's P-O-X model...aptly named!

A P-O-X on both houses..the House of Saud and the House of the Rising Sun! Laughing Laughing Laughing
waltgomez

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

izmigari wrote:
MI6agent wrote:
nellyp wrote:
Wicked... thanks for the explanation. To be honest, I don't need a full bucket; just one that is full enough. If both buckets are filled at the same rate I will be happy, and if one fills up slightly faster than the other i will be happy too (hopefully the money bucket). However, if somebody sticks my head in the wrong bucket I will be none too pleased. The thing is, I have to do this for my family, so carrying around a bucket of sh*$ is the last of my worries Wink

Since you are a family man, then I suggest you adopt the balance theory which will help you drive toward psychological balance in your life in the Magic Kingdom.
The balance theory helped me to save my sanity when I was working in the Magic Kingdom.

Heider's P-O-X model...aptly named!

A P-O-X on both houses..the House of Saud and the House of the Rising Sun! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Better just be more careful choosing an employer. This way, the balance theory will be less needed. And also, for the ESL colleague's sake, post your bad experiences so that they know what's going on and can choose wisely.
izmigari

Location: Rubbing shoulders with the 8-Ball in the top left pocket

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Better just be more careful choosing an employer.

Diddat, dundat.

Your advice is best saved for my future Sowdy students. I always tell them:

"I've got good news and I've got bad news...good news: You've got me for an instructor; bad news: You've got me for an instructor...your choice."

I'm a "96%" kinda guy. 96% love me & 4% ABSOLUTELY HATE ME. The ones who can't stand me tend to be field-grade officers who aren't used to being told or haven't actually heard with any firmness "No". My favorite victims. Laughing
waltgomez

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still amazed at how many people leave or get fired and then, write nothing to warn people about less-than-nice employers who underpaid them, screwed them over, etc. It's as if they savor the thought of other people getting done the same thing to.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waltgomez wrote:
I am still amazed at how many people leave or get fired and then, write nothing to warn people about less-than-nice employers who underpaid them, screwed them over, etc. It's as if they savor the thought of other people getting done the same thing to.

I doubt that's the case. Some of these employers aren't new to the scene and have always had a lousy reputation. Yet that doesn't stop job seekers from eagerly signing on the dotted line.

The new players to the field are also problematic as start ups. They're likely to be very disorganized; teaching for these companies or schools usually equates to long hours, cranky colleagues, sporadic pay, so-so-housing, promises not kept, and of course, clueless leadership. Oh wait... That seems to describe the situation with some of the established contracting companies and schools as well.
waltgomez

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the case of NITI in Al Hasa, there have been very few, if any, write ups. Also, because you appear to get hired by Kaplan, are officially employed by IILSA and end up working for NITI, it makes it harder to become informed. I, for example, went to work for them fully believing that I would be working for Kaplan, a very reputable international chain with HQ in SF. Kaplan reps were the ones who interviewed me.

This is why I created this thread. If even one person does not go to work for NITI, it's already something.

4000 views so far. People are becoming informed.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waltgomez wrote:
In the case of NITI in Al Hasa, there have been very few, if any, write ups. Also, because you appear to get hired by Kaplan, are officially employed by IILSA and end up working for NITI, it makes it harder to become informed. I, for example, went to work for them fully believing that I would be working for Kaplan, a very reputable international chain with HQ in SF. Kaplan reps were the ones who interviewed me.

But previously wrote:
First, the good:

1)They get you a business visa so you don’t need to spend weeks or months in the USA /UK/CN etc, and Saudi trying to get an Iqama.

Job applicants are either not asking the right questions during and after their interviews, or they're only focusing on money/benefits and not the specifics outlined in their contracts. Very likely, it's a situation of both. Some basic attentiveness, common sense, and personal responsibility go a long way. That said, just being told you're getting a business visit visa should be the first big red flag for any job seeker. Forget about being "officially employed."
waltgomez

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem with NITI is not the visa, it's the fact that they underpay, lay people off by planeloads, and run a chaotic ship in which the people up above make all the mistakes in the world, but keep their jobs and get paid well.

IIL did not raise the red flag because it is very common in Saudi to have a local company sponsor you for visas.

Companies that do the Iqamas are also known for treating people bad. And suing employers be it with a business visa or iqama us a tough proposition.

That all having been said, and the presence of this thread should deter some people, and is a small victory in itself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: