Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Permanent Residence Status

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Permanent Residence Status Reply with quote

Not sure if any of you have been in the same situation but I'm hoping someone will have been!

I have permanent residence status in Mexico, my husband is Mexican and our daughter has dual nationality - UK/Mexico. I left Mexico 2 years ago to work for the same company I was working for in Mexico, but I never to immigration. I have now left the company I was working for and we're moving back to Mexico. Also, once in those two years I went on holiday to Mexico and entered as a tourist as I left my permanent residence card at home by mistake.

The questions I have are:
Has my permanent residence status been cancelled because I entered once as a tourist?
Will I get fined for not telling immigration that I changed jobs?

I'm trying to weigh it up to see if I should enter again as a tourist and go through the whole process again or if I should enter with my card and see what happens.

Many thanks!
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Permanent Residence Status Reply with quote

Allie wrote:

The questions I have are:
Has my permanent residence status been cancelled because I entered once as a tourist?
Will I get fined for not telling immigration that I changed jobs?

I'm trying to weigh it up to see if I should enter again as a tourist and go through the whole process again or if I should enter with my card and see what happens.

Many thanks!

1) I don't know.
2) Almost certainly yes.
3) I'm pretty sure just starting over is not an option. I have a good friend who had a similar experience back under the old, FM2/3 system and she had to first go through a process of cancelling her FM2 THEN apply for a new FM3 for her new job after having been out of Mexico for 2.5 years. You should go to or ring the Embassy in the UK and explain the situation to them.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Has my permanent residence status been cancelled because I entered once as a tourist? No. Have someone back home fedex you the card and throw away the tourist card once you get it. Try not to leave the country between now and receiving the card.

2. Will I get fined for not telling immigration that I changed jobs?

Not if you go now and file the change with the date of the change being as close to today as possible.

Quote:

Open secret...Mexico is bad at tracking people via immigration. When you entered, the immigration agent clearly did not key in your name on the system or it would have shown you as a permanent resident and he would have questioned you. Since you got a tourist card, he did not even check.

Sit tight, you are fine. Have the card shipped and don't worry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Allie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MotherF, thanks Guy,

I left the company I was working for a year ago. Does anyone have an idea of how much they will fine me or if immigration can even find out when I left the company? Do I have to go to the immigration office to inform them or where do I make this change?

Guy - I'm unfortunately not currently in Mexico, I entered and left as a tourist last year. I therefore can't have someone send me my card.

Thanks as always!
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had 90 days to file the change. The company had to also file the fact you were no longer there. The fine is per diem but there is a cap. the fine changes quarterly, but it should be on the IMN website.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Guy - I'm unfortunately not currently in Mexico, I entered and left as a tourist last year. I therefore can't have someone send me my card.

Ah, I understand now. You'll have to come in as a tourist then and hope they fail to notice again that you are a permanent resident. And if they do catch you, you pay the fine there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was think about this and I would phone or go to the embassy and ask, only reveal details as the come up. You left Mexico two years ago working for a company. You did not leave the job, they movedyou- so it didn't occur to you to report to immigration. You might say you had no idea you'd be away so long. You left the job for family reasons (Always play the family card in Mexico) and as you were in the UK again it just slipped your mind to report to immigration. Now you want to go back and you're just checking to make sure everything is fine with your residency. Do not mention the visit and tourist visa unless directly asked.
Allie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MotherF, I think this is a good plan. I'll let you know how I get on!
Allie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called the Mexican Embassy this morning and got a very strange reply.
I was told that my permanent resident permit never expires, that I can work and live in Mexico for as long as I want as my husband and daughter are Mexican nationals. I don't have to tell immigration that I've changed jobs, that's apparently only for people with a temporary resident permit and that I really shouldn't stay more than 6 months out of Mexico but if the immigration agent doesn't pick up on it when re-entering Mexico all is well and good! She didn't say what exactly would happen if they did realise. You have to love it!
I think to be on the safe side I will enter Mexico by land as the border controls there on the Mexican side at Nuevo Laredo have always been non-existent the times I have travelled that way. Unless things have changed?
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true it never expires. Back when I got mine I pressed them to tell me the terms. I had a sabbatical coming up and was thinking of being abroad the whole time. They would not tell me anything, which I took to mean they didn't know. I was told I was to report any job change and any address change. I have changed jobsand addresses.I did report it and the immigration office expected it. There was even some issue with the dates and they were counted three times to make sure I was within the 90 limit.
Phil_K

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue of how long you can be out of the country is shrouded in mystery even at temporary resident level! The answer I got was something like, "We don't have a policy on that". Strange.
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil_K wrote:
This issue of how long you can be out of the country is shrouded in mystery even at temporary resident level! The answer I got was something like, "We don't have a policy on that". Strange.

I actually got told, I can't tell you because the law could change at any time. Granted the law had just changed so I think they were a little shell shocked at the time.
Allie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well let's hope they never work it out and we can come and go as we please! If the permanent resident permit doesn't expire I guess the time out of Mexico looses importance anyhow.
In reality they can't really keep track of comings and goings unless you leave by air. I've never been checked or had my passport stamped when coming in by car.
I'll let you know what happens when I try and enter in August.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: