Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MA in TESOL but no BA in English?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Budda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: MA in TESOL but no BA in English? Reply with quote

Greetings Dave's ESL Cafe,

This is my first posting to this site; I'm normally a lurker, but was so confused by this situation that I had to create my own topic.

I've recently received my MA in TESOL from a top US institution, and have been applying for jobs at community colleges and universities in my local area.

One institution in particular, the Ventura Community College District, has sent an email stating that I have been disqualified from their hiring process. When asked why, they claimed that although I have an MA in TESOL, I have no BA in English (for the record, my BA in Russian and Spanish).

I was wondering if this is a typical situation in higher education in North America, and if I should be applying for equivalency when completing my application.

Thanks!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's likely typical for that employer.

Check the job ads carefully to make sure you meet the minimum requirements before applying.
rtm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: MA in TESOL but no BA in English? Reply with quote

Budda wrote:
I was wondering if this is a typical situation in higher education in North America, and if I should be applying for equivalency when completing my application.

In my experience, no, that is not typical. Employers will usually look to see that you have the MA in TESOL and a legitimate bachelors degree (i.e., not something from a degree mill) in anything. An undergraduate degree in English literature wouldn't help much for teaching ESL anyway; your BA in Russian and Spanish likely gives you much more insight into language learning and teaching than a literature degree would.

Did the job ad say anything about needing a BA in English? Also, was the email from the faculty search committee or from HR? HR might not know what they are talking about. If it was this position, which only mentions bachelor's degrees, an HR person might have thrown out your application without thinking about your MA, since it's not in the list. If that is the case, you may want to contact the academic department itself.

If it was either of these positions , they don't appear to be ESL positions, but rather English content and/or composition positions. The ads specifically state that a master's in English, literature, or composition is necessary, OR an MA in TESOL with a bachelor's in English, literature, or composition.
Budda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtm, than you so much for your thoughtful reply!

That is a great idea to contact the department directly--I think I'll do that!

Thanks again!
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: MA in TESOL but no BA in English Reply with quote

Dear Budda,

I didn't earn a B.A. in English (instead, BS Psychology and BA Italian) but later earned MA/Applied Linguistics and then MA/TESOL. I too never heard of a college employer disqualifying an applicant on the basis of an unrelated B.A. degree. I have taught ESL/EFL at tertiary institutions in the US and overseas (had acquired 3+ years of teaching experience post-MA/TESOL).

Some criteria for candidate selection often include:
*post-MA/TESOL teaching experience (which included teaching academic reading and writing, not only conversation classes)
*MA/TESOL program which included a teacher observation component

These could be determining factors.
RedLightning

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: MA in TESOL but no BA in English? Reply with quote

Budda wrote:

I was wondering if this is a typical situation in higher education in North America

Typical of an HR director who needs to narrow the applicant list down to her sister-in-law, a candidate who recently withdrew their application, and yet another whose criminal background will 'come to light' the day after interviews have completed
mitsui

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is hard to get a job at a community college in California, but that does sound picky.
santi84

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that there's at least one institution out there that will appreciate my 30+ page essay on Chaucer. BA in English usually means BS literary analysis, right?

Really, though? Wow.
mitsui

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, too.
My BA is in English.
sammysez

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of anyone requiring English as an undergrad. I think it's only particular to that institute and/or they are trying to weed out applicants as someone previously said. I 'm in the same situation, same Master's degree, but undergraduate is not English (I'm sure your ESL students will be reading Chaucer by the end of the semester, no doubt)

I haven't had a problem, the main concern has been having a major in education, education classes, certification (NOT a certificate) but state certification from the US and that was not for overseas employment, but for public U.S. schools.

The one thing I've noticed, even with a Master's in ESL, most overseas employers especially in the Middle East, are requiring at least three years at the tertiary level (they will not count K-12 teaching experience) and will not (again in the Middle East) accept any online degrees or courses. Not sure how that works in Asia etc... but I would like to know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: