Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UAE MOE Interview

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djstorm1987

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:47 am    Post subject: UAE MOE Interview Reply with quote

Quick question. My wife applied at Teach Away and was invited to attend a in person Interview from the MOE in New York early next month. Now the thing is that the interview will last from 8am-4pm. Has anyone done this before? Why on earth do they need her for 8 hours?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not ask Teach Away what the interview entails for those 8 hours? She'll at least know how to best prepare for it.

I suspect they're not scheduling specific interview times because some job applicants won't show up. It's probably similar to going to your motor vehicle department and taking a number.
desertdawg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There might be "tasks" to perform in addition to the interview. For example some kind of grammar test and also an essay detailing your teaching style or how to deal with certain situations.

I had an interview a few years ago for UAE schools and can't remember the specifics. You can't prepare for the tasks. Just be willing to go through what can seem like quite a demeaning and bewildering procedure.

Good luck to your wife!
canadianinuae

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: UAE MOE Interview Reply with quote

djstorm1987 wrote:
Quick question. My wife applied at Teach Away and was invited to attend a in person Interview from the MOE in New York early next month. Now the thing is that the interview will last from 8am-4pm. Has anyone done this before? Why on earth do they need her for 8 hours?

lol I think your wife is misinformed..yes, maybe the whole day is interviews with about 300 people waiting to be interviewed..i've seen you writing on different posts, with the same questions (on different websites) and this question has been answered.

But, just to be clear Wink interviews last approximately 10 mins, and as long as your wife can breathe, she's a shoe in lol
Golden Beach

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Why not ask Teach Away what the interview entails for those 8 hours? She'll at least know how to best prepare for it.

I suspect they're not scheduling specific interview times because some job applicants won't show up. It's probably similar to going to your motor vehicle department and taking a number.

Man, an 8 hour interview would be stretching my dedication I feel.

As it is, I attended an MOE interview in London. It was pretty cool. They hired out the hotel at the fantastic Saint Pancras buiding in London, all Victorian Gothic architecture making the place look like a red brick Dracula's castle or something.

You will probably have a writing task to do. You may receive an exam style test or something with 5 or so questions which require long answers, all connected to teaching pedagogy and stuff.

It's not too tough. A lot easier for someone who has done a PGCE or educational qualification because they are focussed on some of the basic concepts of education.

Shouldn't be too much trouble though. As long as know how to put a case and explain your teaching methodology, give examples of best practice etc...

Interview will be short and intense. Just be yourself and believe in yourself and be able to give solid examples of your abilities and any positive and constructive professional education experiences you had and what you achieved.... but who knows, that's just standard stuff too I suppose, but they may do things differently.
Neilboy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golden Beach wrote:
nomad soul wrote:

As it is, I attended an MOE interview in London. It was pretty cool. They hired out the hotel at the fantastic Saint Pancras buiding in London, all Victorian Gothic architecture making the place look like a red brick Dracula's castle or something.

You will probably have a writing task to do. You may receive an exam style test or something with 5 or so questions which require long answers, all connected to teaching pedagogy and stuff.

It's not too tough. A lot easier for someone who has done a PGCE or educational qualification because they are focussed on some of the basic concepts of education.

Shouldn't be too much trouble though. As long as know how to put a case and explain your teaching methodology, give examples of best practice etc...

Interview will be short and intense. Just be yourself and believe in yourself and be able to give solid examples of your abilities and any positive and constructive professional education experiences you had and what you achieved.... but who knows, that's just standard stuff too I suppose, but they may do things differently.

That was quite a venue to interview.
canadianinuae

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you kidding? I attended the interview myself, and also chatted with a number of others who were being interviewed. 10 mins, after flying in from all over the place..there was nothing intense about it. Two basic questions, how to deal with disciplinary problems, and "why do you think there are problems in the gov't schools in the UAE"....i didn't even hand in the written part as I knew there's no way anyone would be reading them. Offered the job nonetheless

Neilboy wrote:
Golden Beach wrote:
nomad soul wrote:

That was quite a venue to interview.
Golden Beach

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

canadianinuae wrote:
Are you kidding? I attended the interview myself, and also chatted with a number of others who were being interviewed.

It was slightly different in London. Lucky for you you got the job so easily.

Also if you don't mind I'll take your words with a slight pinch of salt. Anyone who says 21,000 is a low salary possibly isn't really operating from objectively realistic parameters.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

If 21k is without housing, it ain't much. You'll see.

I'm in the UAE.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Dragon says... 21K including housing would be low... 21K plus a flat or a housing allowance and other benefits (tickets, health insurance, gratuity) would be good.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: