Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HCT to be broken up?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
republocrat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: HCT to be broken up? Reply with quote

I have heard from previously reliable sources that there are plans to effectively break up the HCT network of colleges by the end of the forthcoming academic year.

This has apparently been brought on mostly by its nosediving reputation and performance in recent years, although there are believed to be other factors that have contributed to the decision to dissolve the system (budget?)

Can anybody else out there corroborate this interesting nugget of information, welcome or not?
Gulezar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:57 am    Post subject: Rumors Reply with quote

We have been warned!

http://gulfnews.com/news/uae/government/uae-residents-urged-don-t-spread-rumours-negativity-in-workplace-1.1821174

"UAE residents urged: Don't spread rumours, negativity in workplace
A report in Ministry of Interior publication highlights need for companies to apply laws against spreading negativity"

I'd say that the horse has already bolted from the barn.

I have not heard anything about a break up of HCT, but I am not in that loop.
robinbanks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: HCT to be broken up Reply with quote

"Breaking up is hard to do"as Neil Sedaka once sang.My sources tell me that this is mere scaremongering spread around by brits,supporting the recent Brexit vote,except this is more of a HexCiT.Tubby was a joke,yes...but at least he had a punchline.
HexCiT might involve Abu Dhabi devolving "power"to the individual emirates,with the more far flung corners,like Scotland and Northern Ireland...sorry,RAK and Fujeirah being subsidised by the might AD.Federalism or feralism?That is the question.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This rumor may be related to the end of the foundations. But since most students will still need these classes, many think that foundations will just spin off into a chain of "language schools." Job pay, benefits, and conditions would likely run quickly into the toilet. They would get rid of all those expensive native speakers and just bring planeloads from the subcontinent and do local hire spouses.

Sounds plausible... especially with the current "leadership."

VS
RunHome

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To use that much heard word of late - bell-weather - here's a good indicator of the direction everything is heading in the UAE, never mind already failed HCT. Standing room only on the departing airplanes, I suspect.

http://gulfnews.com/news/uae/society/emiratis-must-now-pay-for-private-health-care-1.1855594

Oh, and to make you smile some more, this is listed in The Gulf News next to a subheading entitled ‘Ramadan is unmistakably a month of giving’
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: HCT to be broken up? Reply with quote

republocrat wrote:
I have heard from previously reliable sources that there are plans to effectively break up the HCT network of colleges by the end of the forthcoming academic year.

This has apparently been brought on mostly by its nosediving reputation and performance in recent years, although there are believed to be other factors that have contributed to the decision to dissolve the system (budget?)

Can anybody else out there corroborate this interesting nugget of information, welcome or not?

The "break-up" perhaps no, but I think we'll see big changes in the way colleges run. For example, as mentioned, farming out foundations to a cheaper provider, moving the students with a band 5 into diploma (also run by another party....likely to be the same as foundations). Then in theory, HCt would become a degree-only institution.

There is also talk of banding together KU, PI and Masdar to run one large STEM programme.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: HCT to be broken up? Reply with quote

[quote="mishmumkin"]
republocrat wrote:
There is also talk of banding together KU, PI and Masdar to run one large STEM programme.

KU has a new campus ready to come online in 2017, enshalla.
PI has dormitories.
ADNOC no longer wants to be in the educational business.
It will take some hammering out, but PI with 5 and diplomas, KU was 6 and BAs and Masdar with Masters might make sense.
Don't forget to throw ECAE in there, too. KU has started an applied Maths Program with Scholarships for teachers.
If banks are merging, why not educational institutions?
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: dunno bout hct but Reply with quote

Rumors in the oil field abound about centralised training. It's imminent they say. There's a big new campus somewhere I've heard. ATI has been recruiting like mad.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: dunno bout hct but Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Rumors in the oil field abound about centralised training. It's imminent they say. There's a big new campus somewhere I've heard. ATI has been recruiting like mad.

The next time you are going into Abu Dhabi driving over "Immigration Bridge" on Airport Road look over to your right. Khalifa University will occupy the entire block from Airport to Muroor. Across the road is the Abu Dhabi Police GHQ, then the CSI Dept, and KU has already signed an MoU with them. HCT Men's Campus is across Muroor. Down the road is the Ministry of Education and also the Emirates Center for Strategic Studies and Research. That's a lot of real estate dedicated to Abu Dhabi funding. It's just a matter of time until they figure out how to juggle all the campuses and departments and money.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Was out with someone from HCT the other night and no-one's changed his 3- year contract. He doesn't seem to be worried at all.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: 3 months Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Was out with someone from HCT the other night and no-one's changed his 3- year contract. He doesn't seem to be worried at all.

Most contracts only need to give a person three months notice and pay. I'm not sure about HCT now, but this was the case in the past. Heck, the staff at Radio 1 and 2 got three months pay when those institutions were shut down.
http://gulfbusiness.com/uaes-radio-1-radio-2-cuts-entire-workforce-source/#.V3-NX6Ij7ho

Is your friend in Foundation or teaching in the Degrees?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No currently running contracts have yet been changed. Notice was given concerning the ridiculous new re-certification money making process. (warning that those that don't complete it by a certain date - which has been changed once - will be terminated)

The contract includes the procedures for either side to terminate the contract.

I would assume that either this fellow was in a degree program or playing macho... and/or single with no dependents or debts.

VS
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Married with kids in RAK.
intedu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Foundations is being isolated Reply with quote

It is hard to really understand what the HCT is doing for the past few years, but there are indeed good signs that Foundations will be broken off. Some three-year contracts have been given out but for the most part one-year extensions have been handed out this year.

Many realists speculate that foundations will be contracted out, and teachers could be placed on new contracts with new terms. If you think, just for one second, not much of what is happening makes sense other than to make mass change. For example, the foundations program will never be part of the accredited programs, so why even worry about having degrees go through equivalency. There is no need. Is there? It was a process that was supposed to take 3-5 days, and many teachers are now in this for over one year now. Yes, that is correct. I know of folks that had started the process before summer holidays in academic year 2014/2015 and they have still not been able to complete the equivalency process. Some have been successful, most have not.

The good news, for the optimists, is that the HCT does not know what they are doing and could turn all of this around with their typical knee-jerk administrative reactions. Thousands of foundations students (literally) have no place to go next year due to the test-based data driven foundations approach now currently leading the way. There will be a lot of out lash – so even the hunches and speculation may collapse as the infamous leadership once again try to get it right.

So, the break away as many see it in house could be the separation of foundations from the college as it becomes contracted out. Teacher as of now are not seen as equal to other programs and this is transparent with teaching load, grading practices, and the delivery of content. Foundations teachers work more hours, grading is done from a battery of standardized tests, and the content for the tests has been predetermined by one individual in AD.

I have not caught wind of the various campuses becoming separate entities – but we must keep in mind that just 6 or 7 years ago the Directors at each college had a voice (a voice since removed). If that is what is meant, possible. At the HCT the good thing as of recent rests within change as each year you are essentially working a new job.

If they did break – it would not surprise anyone that knows the place. But, I have not heard about that.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your informative post.

I interpret the silly equivalency process purely as a money maker for the government... a way to suck back a bit of your salary. Cool

Breaking it all up actually makes no sense and would certainly save the government no money. Not that "making sense" is part of their decision making process... and never has been.

We'll just have to wait and see...

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: