Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching freelance online?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulaFreire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:45 am    Post subject: Teaching freelance online? Reply with quote

An odd question, maybe. I'm in the US.I'm thinking about teaching ESL freelance online. I've had lots of ESL teaching experience in "real life", I've taught in China, Russia, and, formally and informally, in the US. Unfortunately I'm not certified in this, I went overseas to teach before schools became strict about credentials. I think I am a good teacher however.

I don't really want to go though a school but do this directly.I'm of thinking teaching via Skype and having people pay me via Paypal.

I've been substitute teaching at several local school districts this past year.Long story but I got caught without a summer job. I'm hoping for a relatively quick turn around. Is freelance teaching online realistic? I realize probably everybody and their Uncle Bob has thought of this.

I'm thinking about targeting places where people have money-coastal China, Japan, maybe parts of the Middle East, perhaps Moscow, Russia. I'm not good at, and feel uncomfortable with, hustling and self promotion. Advertising is important., Maybe posting an ad in Alibaba for Chinese students? I don't know other venues I could use.

Anyway, is this idea realistic and if so, would anyone have advice on how to approach this?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching freelance online? Reply with quote

Have you tried your local tutoring centers?

When do you plan to do this? Keep in mind that summer can be challenging since it's holiday/vacation time for many folks the world over.
piglet44

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tons of students, most of whom can't afford to pay you. Hard to find real live paying ones. You can find them through various websites (italki, verbling etc) but they take a cut. The advantage is you get paid even though student may not show up. Just google online efl /esl there are a zillion outfits nowadays, some even using your smartphone app. good luck making any money though.
mrenglish2nd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with piglet44. The outfits he mentions, and there are others, are probably the best way to go. Tough to market yourself as an individual unless you have some significant connections. I haven't worked for these outfits but have looked into them. I think the money working through them is not great but can be okay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: