Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Call to close largest college accreditation agency
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slapntickle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Per a quick, 30-second overseas search on the MSCHE website, their institution directory shows one university in Asia: Ming Chuan University in Taiwan. Shocked

Yes, I was shocked too. There are far better universities that this in Taiwan and in Asia generally, so I wondered how this school could possibly gain accreditation if the MSCHE Standards are so robust?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slapntickle wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
Per a quick, 30-second overseas search on the MSCHE website, their institution directory shows one university in Asia: Ming Chuan University in Taiwan. Shocked

Yes, I was shocked too. There are far better universities that this in Taiwan and in Asia generally, so I wondered how this school could possibly gain accreditation if the MSCHE Standards are so robust?

You misinterpreted my use of that emoticon; I included it to emphasize that there was just one Asian university and not many, as you suspected. I also know zip about the "robustness" of that Taiwanese university's program. I doubt you have personal knowledge about it as well and that you're just fishing (i.e., hoping) for some major issue related to their accreditation via the MSCHE.

Anyway, I'm not sure what else I can add to this topic. It's obvious you still don't understand even the basics of accreditation. Since you continue to have some odd fixation on the MSCHE, I suggest you conduct your own in-depth research if you're greatly concerned about the quality of their accreditation at X universities abroad. It's great that your country's accreditation system is able to guarantee all UK-related universities/colleges --- in the UK and abroad --- are at the level of Oxford and Cambridge. Razz
slapntickle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
It's great that your country's accreditation system is able to guarantee all UK-related universities/colleges --- in the UK and abroad --- are at the level of Oxford and Cambridge. Razz

This is not a UK vs USA issue. I'm not a patriot. This is an issue of robust accreditation an age of scandals. The MSCHE accredit London Metropolitan University for example, but that University has been involved in numerous scandals and should have lost accreditation years ago. However, as far as I know, the MSCHE sat back and did nothing except reaccredit them again in 2015. It's scandalous and it's pathetic.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2196055/London-Metropolitan-University-crisis-Visas-sham-courses-bogus-students.html

I don't have any first hand experience with Ming Chuan University, but I do know that it has a low ranking vis-a-vis other schools such at NTU. This can be quickly established doing a basic google search. Try it.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slapntickle wrote:
This is an issue of robust accreditation an age of scandals. The MSCHE accredit London Metropolitan University for example, but that University has been involved in numerous scandals and should have lost accreditation years ago. However, as far as I know, the MSCHE sat back and did nothing except reaccredit them again in 2015. It's scandalous and it's pathetic.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2196055/London-Metropolitan-University-crisis-Visas-sham-courses-bogus-students.html

For starters, according to that Aug. 2012 news article, those violations by London Metropolitan University were related to the UK Border Agency (UKBA) visas/immigration laws. That's way outside the scope of the MSCHE's authority as a private US entity that focuses on academics and not foreign countries' specific immigration requirements. This goes back to my point that governments have their rules and regs as well. Plus, if you'd looked on the MSCHE's website, they addressed the UKBA's decision in their Statement of Accreditation Status for LMU on November 15, 2012, relevant to the university's accreditation reaffirmation and monitoring. The BBC's Aug 2012 article about the immigration violations is clearer about the UKBA's decision to strip the university of its ability to recruit foreign students.

Lastly, LMU carries other accreditations and quality controls in addition to the MSCHE per the university's External Audit. Yet, you haven't harped on the integrity of those other two organizations.

and slapntickle wrote:
I don't have any first hand experience with Ming Chuan University, but I do know that it has a low ranking vis-a-vis other schools such at NTU. This can be quickly established doing a basic google search. Try it.

Meaning that it's not at the level of a 400-year-old US Ivy League university per your personal standards? Seriously? Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I'm not going to bother with an Internet search on that university's ranking. It would tell me zip about the quality of their courses in relation to the government and other external accreditation standards per the Taiwanese Ministry of Education, Higher Education Evaluation and Accreditation Council of Taiwan, and Institute of Engineering Education Taiwan. (The MSCHE isn't the only accrediting body. See the Statement of Accreditation Status for Ming Chuan University.)

I can't add anything more to this topic. Good luck with your research! Wink
slapntickle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
For starters, according to that Aug. 2012 news article, those violations by London Metropolitan University were related to the UK Border Agency (UKBA) visas/immigration laws. That's way outside the scope of the MSCHE's authority as a private US entity that focuses on academics and not foreign countries' specific immigration requirements. This goes back to my point that governments have their rules and regs as well.

So who the hell is minding the store? If there are so many bodies controlling the behaviour of these universities, how come there are so many scandals breaking out today? Why not just consolidate all the powers of these pathetic agencies and put those powers in one super agency that has the power to close down these maverick schools should they step out of line? I mean what's it all about when an honest students finds it difficult to get an honest education? I think we need to return to the drawing board.
slapntickle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The failure of accreditation agencies, like the MSCHE, to do a better job of regulating the education industry has led to massive corruption in the sector:

Experts call for action to combat academic corruption
Mary Beth Marklein12 August 2016 Issue No:423

Alarmed by the growing frequency of news reports about academic corruption, an international panel of experts is calling for "action on a broad front" to combat the problem, arguing that dishonest practices are "undermining the quality and credibility of higher education around the world".

And it's happening "at a time when [higher education's] importance as a driver of global development has never been higher", says a report from the 14-member panel. The group released its advisory statement on the issue in July as a step towards catalysing an international effort to fight the problem.

Participants hope the 20-page document, published in English, will be translated into local languages and disseminated widely "so that fighting corruption can be part of the agenda of meetings and conferences around the world", the statement says.

The advisory report grew out of a two-day meeting in Washington of a panel representing accrediting and quality assurance bodies, colleges and universities and higher education associations in Asia, Africa, Europe and North America.

The meeting was convened by the Washington-based Council for Higher Education Accreditation/International Quality Group, or CIQG, and the Paris-based International Institute for Educational Planning of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, or IIEP-UNESCO.

The advisory statement was prepared by Sir John Daniel, a distinguished former president of the Commonwealth of Learning and former UNESCO assistant director-general for education, working with IIEP-UNESCO and CIQG.

Academic corruption itself is not new. But concerns about its impact have gained momentum as the growth in cross-border mobility of students, faculty and researchers catapults what was once mostly a local scourge into a global phenomenon – and, the statement suggests, a worldwide threat.

One Chinese scholar last year described the problem in China as a "malignant tumour", the statement notes. It also cites recent cases from Australia, China, the Czech Republic, Egypt, France, Germany, India, Kenya, Nigeria, Russia, Slovakia, South Africa and the United States.

In all, the report focused on more than two dozen types of practices that affect the integrity of universities' academic operations, ranging from diploma mills and essay fraud to high-level bribery in exchange for an institution's degree-granting privileges and media suppression of stories that are unfavourable to governments and politicians.

It also developed a matrix offering potential ways in which stakeholders, including quality assurance bodies, government officials, higher education leaders, the press and students, can combat corruption.

Many of the suggestions aim to expand on tried-and-true strategies, such as codes of conduct, transparency in hiring and raising public awareness about topics such as conflict of interest and plagiarism.

Others reflect the competitive realities facing higher education in a global age. The panel suggests as one measure a rankings metric that would assess the academic integrity of institutions.

It also urged closer monitoring of the recruitment staff, including commercial agents, by national governments, quality assurance agencies and universities. And it called for the need for effective cyber-security of student record systems as data moves from one country to another.

Of particular concern, the statement notes, are the implications for millions of students who pursue a degree outside their native country. They "need to know in advance the behaviours that their institution considers to be dishonest", the statement says, adding that "many students have blighted their careers by being sanctioned for practices that were habits back home".

Similarly, "if students encounter corrupt practices at college they are more likely to think of them as normal behaviour in life," said Sir John Daniel, co-chair of the panel, in a statement accompanying the advisory's release.

But that's not all, he added. "The well-being of society depends on degrees and diplomas being truthful attestations to the knowledge and skills that graduates have acquired,” he said.

http://www.chea.org/pdf/advisory-statement-unesco-iiep.pdf
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slapntickle wrote:
The failure of accreditation agencies, like the MSCHE, to do a better job of regulating the education industry has led to massive corruption in the sector:

Experts call for action to combat academic corruption
Mary Beth Marklein12 August 2016 Issue No:423

Alarmed by the growing frequency of news reports about academic corruption, an international panel of experts is calling for "action on a broad front" to combat the problem, arguing that dishonest practices are "undermining the quality and credibility of higher education around the world".

And it's happening "at a time when [higher education's] importance as a driver of global development has never been higher", says a report from the 14-member panel. The group released its advisory statement on the issue in July as a step towards catalysing an international effort to fight the problem.

Geez... You continue to harp on the MSCHE, yet you post a report by the United Nations Organization for Education, Science and Culture (UNESCO) and CHEA on diploma mills and dishonest practices in higher education worldwide? It's quite obvious that you never bother to actually read the material you post. (You could at least take a look at the appendices in that report, which point to a global issue.) Rolling Eyes
slapntickle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Geez... You continue to harp on the MSCHE . . .

And for good reason! So-called accreditation agencies such as this one, along with numerous others, have a regulatory function that is rarely exercised today . . . and this is why education is going down the drain fast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: