Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What salary could I earn for my qualifications?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirby42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: What salary could I earn for my qualifications? Reply with quote

I asked a question on the General forum and was advised to ask again specifically in this forum.

I'm currently teaching in Eastern Europe and would like to settle down here, but before I do that, I'd like to do a stint in the Middle East and build up a nest egg to help me buy a flat in the future.

I have a BA in English, an MA in History, a CELTA, a teaching cert from my nation's Department of Education and 2 years teaching experience teaching everyone from children to important businessmen.

What type of salary could I hope to earn in the Middle East? I've been told that I'm a bit late to the party in terms of earning big money, but surely there's still opportunity to earn and save?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirby42 wrote:
I have a BA in English, an MA in History, a CELTA, a teaching cert from my nation's Department of Education and 2 years teaching experience teaching everyone from children to important businessmen.

What type of salary could I hope to earn in the Middle East? I've been told that I'm a bit late to the party in terms of earning big money, but surely there's still opportunity to earn and save?

A teaching cert from where and to teach which academic subject or grade level? For example, are you referring to a k-12 teaching license from the US, or a PGCE from the UK, or... ?

Experience with children where and in what type of teaching situation (e.g., language school, western-curriculum international school, etc.)? It's hard to answer your question or even pinpoint where you should apply given your vague info; the Gulf is specific about qualifications and also that they don't entail online course credits.

The better-paying positions in the GCC require a TESOL-related MA or PhD and several or more years of tertiary experience. Your MA in History isn't relevant to TEFL and won't carry any weight. However, on face value (and pending clarification of your experience), your BA in English will interest some Saudi contracting companies (for-profit employment companies) in terms of meeting basic requirements to teach in a university foundation year program. Be aware the contracting company would be your sponsor/employer and not the university. Take a look at postings on the Café's and other TEFL job boards to ascertain what you might earn.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nationality is a factor. Where are you from ? What passport do you hold ?

US citizens can command a higher salary than South Africans, who in turn get more than Ethiopians.
ttxor1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Salary Reply with quote

To anyone who has a similar question as this thread is a bit old --

The above questions / points by scot and ns are relevant, but $3500 is possible in Kurdistan with those qualifications and experience. That's without health insurance, housing or travel allowance, or gratuity. But overtime work is available (could easily boost that $3500 to $4200), there's nothing much to spend money on, and getting out of the country is time-consuming / expensive.

This is based on personal experience with an employer in the area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: