Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many teach online, have, or plan to (even partly)?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many teach online, have, or plan to (even partly)?
1a) I now teach EXCLUSIVELY online through a 3rd party service—students pay them, they pay me.
14%
 14%  [ 4 ]
1b) I now teach PREDOMINATELY online through a 3rd party service.
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
1c) I now teach PARTLY online through a 3rd party service.
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
1d) I TRIED teaching online through a 3rd party service.
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
1e) I’d CONSIDER teaching online through a 3rd party service IF…
22%
 22%  [ 6 ]
2a) I now teach EXCLUSIVELY online independently—students come to me and pay me directly.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2b) I now teach PREDOMINATELY online independently.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2c) I now teach PARTLY online independently.
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
2d) I TRIED teaching online independently.
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
2e) I’d CONSIDER teaching online independently IF…
29%
 29%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 27

madhatter109

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone. I actually just posted a thread looking for advice on online teaching, but deleted it once I scrolled down and saw this one. I taught for about 3 years online while doing my MA-TESL a few years ago. I recently taught for 2 years in a traditional IEP setting, but my wife and I are moving to a new city next week and so I had to quit my regular full time job. We will be moving to Chicago and the only traditional classroom gigs I've seen are adjunct positions that pay around 20 bucks an hour. I've seen quite a few online job adverts which say they offer around 20-30 per hour and I'm just wondering if it's too good to be true. I loved teaching online in the past (flexible hours and no commute), but the school I used to teach for online only paid about 10 bucks an hour. It was okay as a student, but now that I have high qualifications and experience, I'd love to find something online and legit that pays at least 18-20 per hour. Let me know if you have any recommendations for companies online.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madhatter109 wrote:
Let me know if you have any recommendations for companies online.

Did you check out the list I posted.
madhatter109

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LongShiKong wrote:
madhatter109 wrote:
Let me know if you have any recommendations for companies online.

Did you check out the list I posted.

Hey LongShikong,
Yeah, I did. Thanks for posting it. I also checked out a lot of the links on the page as well. It seems that most of those jobs are equaling out to about 10 bucks an hour. I was just wondering if anyone on here has experience bringing in more bread online.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madhatter109 wrote:
I've seen quite a few online job adverts which say they offer around 20-30 per hour and I'm just wondering if it's too good to be true.

Why not just apply to find out if those gigs are legit?
madhatter109

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
madhatter109 wrote:
I've seen quite a few online job adverts which say they offer around 20-30 per hour and I'm just wondering if it's too good to be true.

It's good to get first hand info from other teachers about online jobs. It's not the most regulated industry, if you know what I mean. Sometimes in interviews, recruiters / admins for these online businesses will distort the job details, ie. required prep time, available hours, pay fluctuations via performance bonuses. Although it's a growing field, it seems there aren't a lot of regulations. I'd rather ask people for recommendations on which ones to apply to.

That's not to say that there aren't great online ESL/EFL companies out there. But I've been out of the online teaching game for a few years, so I'm here just want to see what companies are safe bets and have reasonable pay.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madhatter109 wrote:
...but they're school I used to teach for online only paid about 10 bucks an hour .

Could you give us an idea of how rigorous the expectations were of teachers? Were you monitored extensively and trained to follow certain procedures? I'm thinking here of Wall St given what someone else had written not too long ago where lesson plans are written, picture prompts provided and all the teacher does is elicit, check understanding and monitor production and record results. The gamut probably spans from that to newby teachers without any previous teaching experience.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madhatter109 wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
madhatter109 wrote:

It's good to get first hand info from other teachers about online jobs. It's not the most regulated industry, if you know what I mean. Sometimes in interviews, recruiters / admins for these online businesses will distort the job details, ie. required prep time, available hours, pay fluctuations via performance bonuses. Although it's a growing field, it seems there aren't a lot of regulations. I'd rather ask people for recommendations on which ones to apply to.

However, waiting around for others to tell you what jobs to apply to shouldn't stop you from proactively contacting those companies on your own. Besides, you can always move on if the job sounds sketchy. Razz
madhatter109

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LongShiKong wrote:
madhatter109 wrote:
...but they're school I used to teach for online only paid about 10 bucks an hour .

Could you give us an idea of how rigorous the expectations were of teachers? Were you monitored extensively and trained to follow certain procedures? I'm thinking here of Wall St given what someone else had written not too long ago where lesson plans are written, picture prompts provided and all the teacher does is elicit, check understanding and monitor production and record results. The gamut probably spans from that to newby teachers without any previous teaching experience.

I used to teach conversational classes online. From what I gathered from that list posted at the beginning of this thread, they're all pretty similar. Students just want a native speaker to practice speaking with online. Most of those companies only require you to be a native speaker with some kind of educational background. The only thing that ever mattered was that the students were happy. There weren't a lot of checks and balances. Just make the students happy, and it doesn't really matter what you're doing. I think that's why the salaries for those things are so low. It's only like 8-10 bucks an hour, but it's literally the easiest job I've ever had. If you live in a country with a cheap cost of living, it'd be wonderful. But now that I'm in the USA, I don't know if I'd do it again for such a low pay. You could just go work at Wal Mart or something for that low of a salary and it'd probably be a lot easier work. You don't even need to prep, they give you a PPT to follow for every class. The only problem with those jobs is that you get burned out. You're basically having conversations non stop all day, which will leave you tired. I don't know too much about Wall Street, so I'm not sure how they would compare. Send me a PM if you have any specific questions that I could help you with.
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gunna say these things I found.

Firstlly, if you want a job you can find it, I don't want to name names but schools which pay$10 an hour I found generally could fill your schedule. Some days I worked 6am til 3pm, but at the end of the day you are tired from 9 hours work and only get $90 in your pocket, which is poor. Plus they expect some detailed school reports etc. so you probably do 35 minutes but get paid for 25.

The one I work at pays very well [about 17 GBP an hour] and have a great classroom and great kids[mainly because it's so expensive the kids have previous experience or have other foreign teachers], unfortunately some parents use it as a way to entertain their kids for 30 minutes so you'll get a kid who only wants to draw Pokemon for 30 minutes, but customer is always right. I literally have 3 or 4 students at the school who only are interested in chatting like friends, they're around 14-15 and with the Olympics around it's literally a breeze, getting paid upwards of $25 to talk to a 15 year old about the Olympics and them being overjoyed is nice.

Some of the material is rough and some students are obviously on lower books than their experience. Some 12 year olds just learning 'happy birthday' and 'cake' and that's it, and you need to get 30 minutes out of the class, it can be grim.

Other than that I had an online school from Singapore who needed proof of 5 years experience with 1 year online PLUS any other skills such as law,marketing,business degrees etc. to gain an extra $5 an hour. Speaking Chinese was a bonus as they have many Malay, HK and Singapore kids as well as Mainland China. They paid $35 an hour BUT the catch was that they required a no compete clause. I wasn't prepared to give up a chunk of income [around $1500 at this point, sometimes more] to then build up again.

I should also point out I have found:

Poor, cheap paying online schools can cram you with students, who are often just trying it out, many of those schools offer cheap groupon deals [6 classes for $15!] and such in the hope of luring the kids in, so you rotate alot. BUT, if you open 15 hours a day they'll fill 15 hours. Not bad for fodder. I got demotivated that the pay was so low though, so gave up on that school.

Higher paying schools generally require proof you can teach, the cheaper schools let you open your schedule and go from there on your own, no checks, except that you're white and can talk English ok. Looking through the cheap school tutor list ALOT were Africans, Indians and Filipinos, and most parents at this price point think it's expensive and I found were very picky. One complained I started the class at 1 minute past 9, even though their kid was playing with toys in another room!

The more expensive schools generally cannot fill your schedule and you might be limited to 15 hours a week say, and actually the parents and students often have LESS expectation than the cheaper schools, perhaps because they just value their kid having a chance to speak with a native speaker and love the conveniance.

Even though I'm moving back to teaching in a brick and mortar school, I'm still going to continue teaching online. It's great to think I can live on my online teaching work and pocket my entire brick and mortar pay.
madhatter109

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, thanks for posting that, LarssonCrew!
I hope the occupation keeps growing. I'm currently taking language classes online and must say that I prefer them a great deal to the traditional classrooms out of convenience and low stress. Hopefully wages will go up in the future for teachers on this platform because I think they/we deserve it!
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently interviewed for an online position with a college that ranges about three times higher than typical online companies. It's a good option for those who need higher pay due to cost of living. I'm within two hours of the employer though, so that may be a factor. It's worth exploring that many US/Canadian colleges are transitioning ESL programming to online/blended delivery.
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will post a little bit more.

As a full time job I just cannot see it being viable for me, mainly because:

a)I don't take it seriously enough. It just seems to be that because I'm not having to turn up I can sort of roll out of bed ten minutes before my classes. It doesn't help the classes begin at 7am my time and I'm a night owl so I naturally stay up til 2am.
b)The lack of social interaction with others. If your job revolved around this all the time it would drive me mad. I actually force myself to go to the shops to buy things some days just to meet other people in real life, rather than spend ALL my time indoors.
c)The high paying jobs just do not have enough hours at the minute to satisfy me. If I could do it 25 hours a week at 25 dollars an hour it'd be viable, but only 15 mean it's on the brink but not quite there.

I had a plan in my mind of studying for a masters online whilst traveling, and online teaching would allow me to do that.

I could move around SEA and South America for a year, spending one month in each country, quite happily making 1500-2000 USD a month, and I doubt except flights I'd have to fork out much more.

It's an idea I'm taking very seriously and will see how it goes. It'd be a little annoying being invited to do something or wanting to go out early morning to hike nad not being able to due to working but thems the negatives of having a nice lifestyle and only working 15 hours a week.
madhatter109

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

santi84 wrote:
I recently interviewed for an online position with a college that ranges about three times higher than typical online companies. It's a good option for those who need higher pay due to cost of living. I'm within two hours of the employer though, so that may be a factor. It's worth exploring that many US/Canadian colleges are transitioning ESL programming to online/blended delivery.

That's great Santi, good for you! I know those jobs are out there, but I've had a hard time finding them. I'll keep looking around!
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madhatter109 wrote:
santi84 wrote:

That's great Santi, good for you! I know those jobs are out there, but I've had a hard time finding them. I'll keep looking around!

Thanks, madhatter. I'm still in the post-interview stage, so I'll see how good this option really is (if at all!). Unlike online profit companies, this opportunity was only posted through the province's TESL association (and the college itself). So, searching like a local is part of finding the vacancies.
piglet44

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Article I wrote about this topic recently
http://jimmyesl.com/teach-english-online/want-online-english-teacher/
There are many more companies popping up daily.
Basically there are problems to going it alone.It is a business and you have to be prepared to spend time to develop it. What you save on not paying a third party you are going to lose on promoting, upkeep of your website etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: