Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many teach online, have, or plan to (even partly)?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many teach online, have, or plan to (even partly)?
1a) I now teach EXCLUSIVELY online through a 3rd party service—students pay them, they pay me.
14%
 14%  [ 4 ]
1b) I now teach PREDOMINATELY online through a 3rd party service.
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
1c) I now teach PARTLY online through a 3rd party service.
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
1d) I TRIED teaching online through a 3rd party service.
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
1e) I’d CONSIDER teaching online through a 3rd party service IF…
22%
 22%  [ 6 ]
2a) I now teach EXCLUSIVELY online independently—students come to me and pay me directly.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2b) I now teach PREDOMINATELY online independently.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2c) I now teach PARTLY online independently.
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
2d) I TRIED teaching online independently.
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
2e) I’d CONSIDER teaching online independently IF…
29%
 29%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 27

LongShiKong

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

piglet44 wrote:

There are many more companies popping up daily.
Basically there are problems to going it alone.It is a business and you have to be prepared to spend time to develop it. What you save on not paying a third party you are going to lose on promoting, upkeep of your website etc.

That's true with any business. But many have complained about the low-wages and the time required to fill out teaching reports that further reduces one's hourly rate. There seem to be 3rd party online services that do compensate teachers with a decent wage but I suspect few are experienced/skilled enough to qualify/compete for how few may actually exist.

A former elementary adult student of mine at a training center here in Beijing now pays about $5/hr for 1-to-1 with someone in the Philippines, $4/hr for her son. When I commented on her marked improvement (a year on) in her oral proficiency she credited the online interaction, admitting classroom interaction at the training center with peers intimidated her (which somewhat surprised me given that at least my classes with her tended to be small and intimate; 1- 3 students). I suspect many like her are turning to cheap, online, 1-to-1 tutoring. But are they mostly loosely structured 'conversation' classes with a (near-)native speaker?

As an aside, I find myself wondering under what conditions might a tutor with a complete lack of any SLA knowledge, teaching experience, or training exceed, with a student with high effective filtration, the proficiency gains achievable by an experienced communicative language teacher following best practices in a traditional classroom setting?

The classroom or the subject itself can raise the affective filter. During my B.Ed, our math prof., a delightful woman of warmth and compassion related how she once had a teacher candidate who was so intimidated (PTSD?) by the subject she wouldn't even enter the classroom, she stood at the doorway.

I actually think the increasing prevalence of these $3-5/hr teachers is good for the industry as it forces many schools/teachers to rethink their game and actually start competing (offer quality) rather than merely relying on name/native-speaker status alone, as to my surprise, Longman Schools in China does.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach partly online for a university here in Ecuador. I'm contracted with the university to teach X number of hours. My classes happen to be online (although actually, that's my choice because I wanted to try it). I could just as easily have campus classes or a mix of the two. My hours and wage would be the same regardless.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLJHLJ wrote:
I teach partly online for a university here in Ecuador. I'm contracted with the university to teach X number of hours. My classes happen to be online (although actually, that's my choice because I wanted to try it). I could just as easily have campus classes or a mix of the two. My hours and wage would be the same regardless.

Interesting. What about the private sector? Here in China, private schools tend to pay more than universities. What's the going rate in $US for (native speaking) TEFLers with, say, a generic TEFL certificate at private schools and at universities?
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top private schools in Quito pay $1,500-$2,000 month, which is better than most university positions. However, for the better private school jobs, and most university positions, you'll usually need more than an unrelated BA and a TEFL cert. That wouldn't be online teaching though.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLJHLJ wrote:
The top private schools in Quito pay $1,500-$2,000 month, which is better than most university positions.

Thought so.

HLJHLJ wrote:
...you'll usually need more than an unrelated BA and a TEFL cert.

Do you know if that's always been the case (where you are, or in S.A. in general) or is the market heading that direction due to a combination of the online competition I've mentioned along with what I suspect is now an employers' market with an oversupply of uni grads/TEFLers with dismal employment prospects in their degree area?

Seems it's not just traditional brick-and-mortar retailers that are being disrupted. A friend of mine in the oil industry switched to working from home even before the drop in oil prices. This 10% per year growth in online language learning suggests there'll be far fewer schools in 5 years but does anyone know or can guess how many go online for 1-to-1 tutoring vs 1-to-many?
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a general rule everywhere, in every job. Better paying jobs demand the best qualifications and/or experience they can, whether they are actually needed for the position or not.

I don't think online teaching has had any impact on Ecuador. Most non-Ecuadorian distance education isn't even recognised here. Universities have been affected by government regulations aimed at increasing standards, which includes demanding higher qualifications from university teachers. Top schools here have always valued qualifications, as it's a selling point for parents.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLJHLJ wrote:
I think it's a general rule everywhere ...
Universities have been affected by government regulations aimed at increasing standards, which includes demanding higher qualifications from university teachers.

Yes, it's the general rule everywhere, the business of academia is the buying and selling of credentials.
Podkayne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious about the student context of this thread.

When I consider online English teaching, I think of it in the context of all ages, encompassing learners who are in the academic pipeline + business professionals + adults who seek English study as a personal interest.

The survey came across to me as a general query. The discussion seems focused on students who are still in school.

If my take is correct, then saying that online teaching hasn't had any impact in Ecuador, I'm guessing that's in relation to students who are at the university level or lower? Or does this opinion include corporate and personal-avocation students, as well?

I ask because there are a number of language companies that sell comprehensive online language-learning services to multinational corporations. There are some mighty big companies out there who are paying mighty big bucks for online language learning.

If there's no effect on face-to-face teaching for these business professional students *yet* in countries such as Ecuador, I'd guess that the tipping point is coming.

Thoughts?
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open English used to advertise here a lot, but they seem to have gone quiet. One problem online providers have is that education is tax deductible here, but you have to have an Ecuadorian factura to claim it. Companies that have a physical presence here, or offer blended options (like EF for example) can tap into that, but it makes working with overseas companies relatively expensive, no matter how cheap the actual classes. Combine that with limited access to decent internet, and online education being generally perceived as a lesser option (because it's not recognised by the government), I think it'll be a while until we see any major change.

Right now, the booming area here is university work, since the government have said all university students have to pass an internationally accredited B1 exam (soon to be B2) before they can graduate. There is something similar happening in schools as well, but I don't know the details on that. In many cases the national teachers can't pass a B1 themselves, let alone a B2, so there is a void in the market.
Podkayne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open English mostly marketed directly to individual students via TV, radio, etc. I believe most of its clientele were 20s and younger, many still in school. OE's business model is/was also quite different from most face-to-face and the companies I'm talking about, where a student has a dedicated tutor, a progressive curriculum, etc. With OE, the students dipped in and out of lessons as they wished.

I'm thinking of the companies such as Pearson, Learnlight, Learnship, and others. They enter into contracts with companies, not individuals. The client companies then direct or invite employees into online language learning.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pearson are around, but I've never seen them advertise online teaching. I haven't seen the others, but they could be marketing directly. They will still have the same problem though, if the companies can't write it off against their tax it would be a difficult sell.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLJHLJ wrote:
Pearson are around, but I've never seen them advertise online teaching. I haven't seen the others, but they could be marketing directly. They will still have the same problem though, if the companies can't write it off against their tax it would be a difficult sell.

I've worked at Pearson-owned Longman School (for kids) and at Wall St which they bought a decade ago (both on Beijing). The latter would qualify as blended learning as more than half the time students engage with online content. They do have the option to do their hour-long F2F sessions online but at least here in Beijing, few exercise that option.

Is anyone aware of any other online Pearson-owned operation or from any other major ELT / education publisher for that matter?
Podkayne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that, generally speaking, companies such as Pearson (I'm speaking of the corporate client branch of Pearson) don't advertise in mass media. Instead, Pearson reps will visit face to face with exec folks in the target MNCs and advertise in niche media.

So my take from this thread is the possibility that there is online teaching activity that is not necessarily visible to classroom teachers, and therefore not factored into the estimates of online teaching prevalence in a particular country.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomad Soul posted this on the China Discussions. I think it's worth repeating here:

Quote:
China – reinventing the wheel?
By Melanie Butler, EL Gazette | October 2016
Source: www.elgazette.com/

Is the market for English as a foreign language in China different from that in other countries – or is it just bigger? It is certainly big. According to a 2015 report there are 50,000 language schools in the country. India is big too. I don’t think anybody has the numbers for Indian language schools, but as English is the second language of the country, India has enough local teachers to meet its needs.

China doesn’t. It needs to import around 500,000 teachers to cover the private language school sector. Following the new Chinese regulations on foreign teachers, it only wants native-speaker graduates with a TEFL certificate or two years’ teaching experience. Good luck with that one. To reach the figure of 500,000 the Chinese will need to recruit one in every two hundred graduates aged between 20 and 32 from every English-speaking country in the world, based on OECD statistics. What’s more, given the typical teacher turnover for EFL, they will need to do that every two years.

So what can they do instead? Well the first thing they tried was self-paced e-learning, in other words high-tech self-study, but after a period of rapid growth the market has fallen sharply, not only in China but around the world. The 2015 Ambient report puts this down to commoditisation and increasing competition, but it may be just that, as other EFL markets have found, it doesn’t work for most learners. The empirical evidence is that dropout rates are very high: only 7 per cent of adult foreign language learners completed a 150-hour self-study course, a research study by Maryland University found. Of course the learners were Americans, not Chinese, but the US is the second-biggest market in the world – according to Ambient.

The new big thing, according to reports, is self-paced one-to-one tuition, increasingly delivered by mobile phone. There are 62 million subscribers to such services. If they are all one-to-one studying for one hour a week, they will need two million tutors teaching 30 hours a week, even if students are allocated specific times slots. This is doable if the teachers used include those from large second-language countries like the Philippines – though unless they are well-enough paid and paid for waiting time between teaching calls, teacher churn will remain an enormous problem.

If, as most of the providers seem to promise, students can log on and find a tutor on demand, the figure for teachers needed will rise dramatically since the majority of students will do this in the peak hours after school and after work. Dropout rates will also increase. In the adult market at least, signing up for language lessons is a little like signing up for a gym – you start off by going but your attendance drops off over time.

This is fine, if like most gyms you get the student to pay up front. However, if the students can pay as they go, as some providers are promising, then a lot of companies are likely to go bust. How do we know this? Because the exact same model has existed for many years. It’s called telephone teaching, and the economics of doing it don’t change just because your landline has turned into a mobile. And as for not understanding the ‘gig economy’, the telephone schools tried not paying teachers when students didn’t phone in. The teachers just left. Whether you’re Chinese or Czech, the economics of language teaching doesn’t change.

My guess is 95-99% of the online market is 1-to-1 but it would seem the market niche to go after for native speakers hoping to make a living wage teaching online would be a 1-to-some (2-5?) where each person can view and hear all other participants along with a shared 'whiteboard'. Not so practical on a phone or tablet though.

Thoughts?
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about 95% online/from home at a local college that offers online delivery. There are about 40 students per class split into multiple sessions. We are paid the same wage range as any in-class college ESL instructor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: