Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MoE Teaching Job 21k - What happens when you arrive?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Middle_East_Teacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: MoE Teaching Job 21k - What happens when you arrive? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

So, I previously wrote post regarding the security check, but now I'd like to know if anybody is aware as to what happens as soon as you land?

I'm actually a little bit in the dark about everything at the moment.. Here's that I know:

1) I passed the interview
2) I passed the security
3) They've booked my flight
4) It's a new project that is aimed at lower level students up to 16 years old

Apart from this, I truly know nothing. The recruiters have been extremely helpful, but only in the recruitment part of the process.

I've been out of work for a couple of months already, and now running low on funds. I know that I'm not going to be able to sort myself out with an apartment as soon as I land, and I'm hoping that I'll at least be put into a hotel until the first pay check, or maybe they could give an advance.

Also, does anybody have any idea about the curriculum that is being used? The office hours and the teaching hours?

I'm pretty sure that due to the size of the recruitment drive they are more concentrated on that than the actual job itself.

If anybody could shed some light here, I'd be extremely grateful.

Take Care.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is the employer? What city?

Normally one only gets a few days or a week or so in a hotel, but it is really employer dependent.

In the Emirates, one is usually onsite for 7-8 hours.

VS
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in touch with some people going through this process as well but, like yourself, am largely in the dark despite the time. The fact that your flight is already booked puts you well ahead of lots of other people if that makes you feel any better!!
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Well, if you have to pay for your own place up front like us in Abu Dhabi (different job), you're in the doodaa. You might get a serviced apartment for 10k/month. Just go on Dubizzle type whatever region you are going to live in and do the search and then you'll know.

If you think you can pay rent monthly, you're also in for a shock as often it isn't the case. I paid 12 months up front and then all the deopsits and furniture (100K/ $27,000 all-in for a studio). You really want to check your situation out before you set off.
Middle_East_Teacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a look on Dubizzle, and not all apartments are paid yearly. I've been in Saudi for some time, and I can see the similarities. One would assume that you don't just get off the flight and they then leave you on the street? Also, why is everybody saying that it's 10k a month for an apartment? I've seen some great ones that are 30-40k annually.

I'm definitely ahead of most, but I think this is largely due to me handing in my resignation some time ago and therefore can start early on.

It would be great to have some idea of the curriculum at least so that I can begin preparations. I've e-mailed the recruiter with similar questions but haven't received a response yet. I'll be sure to post any information that I receive on the thread.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middle_East_Teacher:

What does your contract state about accommodation? About hours?

You also mentioned this is a new project. Be ready for the possibility of disorganization, extra work hours, crabby colleagues, limited resources, and last minute changes on top of changes.
Golden Beach

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got sent a login and password so I can go on some special MOE website and ask them some questions.

I haven't tried it yet but why not try that, assuming the recruiter sent you that stuff.

I'm going to be in Fujairah.... pretty excited. Anyone else going there?
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject: well.. Reply with quote

Fujairah has cheaper accommodation for sure, so that's good. It's also chilled and scenic.

Remember, if you want to sponsor your wife, you need a 'housing contract with 'tawtheek'. Without that she won't get a visa. Same for the serviced apartments. If you don't have a bill, you can't get a visa for the spouse. Also know that if you rent a studio in someone's villa, it's illegal.
TheEasyLife

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Fujairah or Dibba too.

I'm still absolutely in the dark about arrival dates, accommodation, the curriculum and which school I'll be teaching at!

Has anybody heard any more details yet? I was told to check dubizzle but there's not much on there.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the world of ambiguity. You'll likely have to go with the flow if your emails to your contact person have gone unanswered.

Apparently, the first day for teachers and administrative staff for the UAE's 2016-2017 academic year is August 21, 2016. (Source: http://gulfnews.com/guides/family/official-uae-school-calendar-1.1572007.)
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject: er Reply with quote

Not a lot in Dibba according to my pal and you'll need a car if there. Nipping into Oman also takes planning and isn't so easy.
Neilboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am missing the flight booking part but was told by my recruiter that it should be arriving anytime now. Yea, aside of that I'm in the dark as well. I will be at Arja
TheEasyLife

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the information dragonpiwo. Dibba does look like a ghost town!!

Anyway, I have my flight details now. The only concern now is accommodation. I read somewhere that it's commonplace to get a bank loan to cover the years rent. Is this true and has anybody done it?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheEasyLife wrote:
I read somewhere that it's commonplace to get a bank loan to cover the years rent. Is this true and has anybody done it?

I've never heard of anyone doing it, but desperate times with crap benefits means that desperate measures need to be taken. I wouldn't consider it for a minute myself because one never knows how long one will be there.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheEasyLife wrote:
The only concern now is accommodation. I read somewhere that it's commonplace to get a bank loan to cover the years rent. Is this true and has anybody done it?

Take a look at:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: