Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fahad International Services and Training FIST BAE Dhahran
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Fahad International Services and Training FIST BAE Dhahran Reply with quote

Just starting this thread as I've only come across one mention of 'FIST' before, and that was 'en passant'.

They are advertising on tefl.com

Sponsored by Fahad International Services and Training (FIST Co. Ltd) and Al’Hadaff Co. Ltd. Serving SDT (Saudi Development Training) and British Aerospace Systems Saudi Arabia serving the Royal Saudi Air Force or Royal Saudi Naval Bases.

Offering 16500SAR $52500 + accomm - but only ONE return flight (BAE offer 3 [not sure about Language Solutions specifically) with full Iqama BUT you can find yourself in

TA'IF
RIYADH
TABUK
or
DHAHRAN

for BAE or Saudi navy and air force cadets.

Seems broadly similar to BAE / L:anguage Solutions except they are exclusively based in Dhahran with its myriad of shopping malls and near Bahrain. I suspect being in Taif and Tabuk might be another kettle of fish.

I've started this thread as some may wish information and feedback to be concentrated in one thread.
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either people are being very tight-lipped about this contractor/recruiter or few people know anything much.
D. Merit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly one of the more colorful acronyms around.
bigdurian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D. Merit wrote:
Certainly one of the more colorful acronyms around.

Yeah, I thought that too.

People should be careful they don't get S.H.A.F.T.E.D.
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fans of British Carry On Films will remember 'Carry on Spying' and the world enemy 'STENCH'.....in the 'real' James Bond it was SMERSH.

A typical recruiter could be STENCH

Screw
Teachers
Endlessly
Never
Cease (to)
Hassle

(A little pathetic, but not bad for the spur of the moment).

Alternatives for 'FIST' and 'SMERSH' should be easy...or make up completely new acronyms (mind you maybe on a fresh forum, with a link from here)
desertfox

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get back to the issue of the post,
my advice would be to avoid BAE at Dhahran at all costs. Crazily inefficient management and nightmare cadets with nightmare working conditions.

On the other hand, SDT was rather good. Better management and better students.

If that helps.

Desertfox
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. May I ask if all the cadet classes were the same?

2. I pm'd one guy who had other problems socially and at the compound but said his cadets were mostly ok.

3. Is it your impression - or plain fact - that the permanent BAE teachers get the slightly better cadets/groups and the worse ones are palmed off to Langsols agency staff, or is the misery evenly spread?
desertfox

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer directly:

1. No, not all the same. Some were undesirable and some were worse. I broke up quite a few fights between cadets during the time I was there. The difficulty is that there is a proportionately large remedial contingent. So you may be lucky and get a reasonable group, but teachers are moved around frequently. Whatever happens, you will get your fair share.

2. I can only give you the benefit of my experience there with the cadets. I am a fair minded person, however it is the worse I have seen in 6 years in Saudi. The compound is nice with good facilities. The downside is that Langsols insist that you share.

3. No, I would say that the misery is evenly spread. I don't believe the BAE management are clued up enough to distribute the better classes to their own people. They are not that well organised. There is an equality of misery through incompetence. I wouldn't at all recommend it. Better to find a more suitable alternative. If you do go, good luck with it.
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just heard Oman Colleges of Applied Sciences new tender company has reduced salaries to $2700 per month and holidays to 30 days a year (from 56).

$4500 at BAE (worth an extra 340 a month sterling now after Britain leaving the EU)...careful saving plus the 340 'exit bonus'? worth a punt for those with a strong constitution.
Lord T

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$4500 at BAE (worth an extra 340 a month sterling now after Britain leaving the EU)...careful saving plus the 340 'exit bonus'? worth a punt for those with a strong constitution.[/quote]

Siobhan22 - the best thing for you to do now is give it a go. If you don't like it, you can leave after 3 months.

The money in Oman has never been as high as in Saudi, and BAe pays more than most, so if it's money you're after, you might be willing to put up with the environment to get it.

The choice is all yours, which is a nice position to be in.
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is true.

My ISA has taken a bit of a hammering in the last 2-3 years (too heavily weighted in oil companies and down over 65%)) so 100-150 euros top a month isn't feasible. Needs Saudi/BAE big bucks (hopefully in as short a time as possible).

Compound life, no alcohol, no women, Islamic culture, no cinemas/theatre, iffy management, distance from home are of no concern - I'm pretty self-sufficient. The key to success/muddling through/survival will be the interaction with students in the classroom. In 11 years of ESL this has proven to be my saving grace. This posting, however, is a different kettle of fish, so it's the rock on which the whole Saudi adventure might founder.

We'll just have to see.
EnglishLanguageOne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid MDA/Language solutions. Only use FIST!
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

No alcohol at BAe...hahahaha

My mate's been at BAe Dahran for several years and the schedule is a mare. They get up at a ridiculous hour.

In my current position in the UAE, I make about 31,000 SAR a month and could live on the camp for free if I chose. I think it's one of the best best paid TEFL jobs on the planet but I'm leaving soon.

BAe sounds dreadful. Funnily enough, I never got an interview there.
marklor

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've acquired an expensive laban habit and my current contract is coming to a close. Can anyone tell me are the BAE positions only open to Brits? Also are the cadets combat bound?
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was contacted by someone at FIST recently, the outline of the role is as follows;

1. Teaching cadets
2. 07:15 - 12:35
3. Ielts prep
4. Using Cutting Edge KSA edition
5. Two bedroom flat in town plus transport to and from work.
6. Five days a week. Thirty days hols a year not including the official government days off, which works out about 40+ days.
7. No more than 15 cadets per class.
8. At present they are doing business visas.
9. 16500 SAR a month plus accommodation and transportation.
10. In Dammam.

Any thoughts?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: