Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Highly Unreasonable Place to Start TEFL Career?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
undertow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Highly Unreasonable Place to Start TEFL Career? Reply with quote

Hey, board. This is my first post so I apologize if this has been covered in later threads but I was wondering just how desperate and difficult it would be to start out trying to find work in Ukraine? I've had my sights on teaching in Eastern Europe since I started college and now I'm almost done but wherever I look it seems people are vehemently saying not to go for various reasons (low pay, corruption, lack of work)

How difficult would it be for a 24 year old American fresh with an English degree/TEFL certification to find work and sustain themselves in Western Ukraine? What slavic countries/schools would offer my best bet for successfully finding good work and helping me out with work visas?

Thank you!
neftoprestupnik

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Highly Unreasonable Place to Start TEFL Career? Reply with quote

undertow wrote:
Hey, board. This is my first post so I apologize if this has been covered in later threads but I was wondering just how desperate and difficult it would be to start out trying to find work in Ukraine? I've had my sights on teaching in Eastern Europe since I started college and now I'm almost done but wherever I look it seems people are vehemently saying not to go for various reasons (low pay, corruption, lack of work)

How difficult would it be for a 24 year old American fresh with an English degree/TEFL certification to find work and sustain themselves in Western Ukraine? What slavic countries/schools would offer my best bet for successfully finding good work and helping me out with work visas?

Thank you!

Do you have a CELTA or another CELTA-type qualification? If you do, there are schools in Ukraine that might take you on and provide a legal work visa. If you don't, it will be very difficult to find such a job. I don't recommend that you go to Ukraine unless your employer GUARANTEES that you will be given a legal work visa (i.e., not a business visa, not a religious missionary visa, and certainly not a tourist visa). Additionally, you need to apply for a work visa before you leave your home country and a 45-day permit-to-apply stamp will be placed in your passport before you even board a plane. If you can't find an employer who will do that, don't go and don't be afraid to push this point in your Skype interview.

Some of these "schools" are bloodsuckers who prey on naive would-be teachers because they know that a warm American body will fill up a classroom. Don't be a statistic.

Other than Ukraine, Russia will probably be a good landing spot for you. It'll be tough to get into an EU member state though, unless you have an EU passport.

Best of luck.
undertow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Russia, you advise going to Moscow or St. Petersburg? Or some of the smaller cities/towns better to start?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Ukraine All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: