Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestions about working in Kuwait requested.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
teachertomthailand

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Suggestions about working in Kuwait requested. Reply with quote

I am a non-drinking teacher with a CELTA, two years of teaching experience in China and some experience teaching in the US, where I am currently located. I also have an American teaching license. I want to teach abroad again but I don't want to go back to Asia. I have decided to go to the Middle East. My first choice was Oman but I need another year of experience after my CELTA to meet their stringent requirements of 3 years post CELTA.

I thought about Kuwait because I want to earn money and I don't care about the lack of social life because I like to read. I don't need to eat pork. Since I have only ever been to the Dubai airport I could use some suggestions about what life is like in Kuwait or one of the other Gulf states. Is it imperative to buy a car? My priority is to have a good school and a stable income. Has anyone attempted to learn Arabic? I have heard that it is almost as difficult as Chinese, which kicked my ass although I was able to learn a few important phrases.

So if you guys have any suggestions please let me know, I really appreciate it.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scroll down a bit in this forum; there are a few discussion threads solely about lifestyle in Kuwait. I suggest you check out the numerous broader expat forums and articles via an Internet search using: expat life Kuwait.

Arabic is not a requirement since English is widely spoken for commerce/business. However, as with other countries, knowing the basics of the host language can be useful. There are Arabic language learning sites on the Net that will give you an idea of the level of difficulty you might expect.

BTW, if your qualifying degree entailed any online coursework, that excludes you from working in Kuwait.

Since you've repeated most of your post in the Mid East forum, I'll respond there about the Gulf in general.
Leelac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Kuwait for a long time. Generally, life is okay there, especially if you're okay not drinking or partying. Traffic is bad and if you feel you need a car, you'll find driving irritating. But it is okay--plenty of gyms and water sports and most people are ok to deal with. Having said that, the last thing is the job--if it is a crap job and you aren't paid well or treated badly or overworked or the students are a problem (not hard working students there in general) then it can be hell. Most government jobs are trying to hire only nationals, so you're going to be left with private schools, some better than others.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the international schools. If you have the required experience teaching at primary/secondary schools you could land a good job. If you are going in as an ESL teacher then be prepared to look around.

I do like Kuwait but I think you need to be well qualified or experienced to make it all work.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuwait is very expensive these days.....salaries are stagnant or even decreasing for EFL teachers....inflation is up, and life is boring......only the desperate are seeking work here..... Shocked Shocked Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: