Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Retiring in Europe?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uh huh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Retiring in Europe? Reply with quote

Hello,

After five eventful years abroad, in Latin America and Africa, and three "interesting" years back in the US, I am looking at retiring and am thinking about Europe. I speak Spanish and French and would like to find a place where I could do some English volunteering. Any thoughts about possible places to consider would be welcome. I'm more interested in less expensive and discovered places where the cost of living is less. Posts and PMs are fine.

Thanks!
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a US citizen with no European nationality you will face "issues" with residence. Each country has its own rules and procedures about foreigners taking up residence. You CANNOT just show up and decide to live in any of the states in Europe.
uh huh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Retiring in Europe? Reply with quote

Thanks for the message.

Yes, I know I cannot just show up. From the research I've begun to do, it appears possible to get a retirement visa in certain countries.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Retiring in Europe? Reply with quote

uh huh wrote:
I'm more interested in less expensive and discovered places where the cost of living is less.

Less expensive than... ?

What is your projected monthly retirement income? How much will you have in a savings account to show you can meet your expenses?
uh huh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Retiring in Europe? Reply with quote

Less expensive than more expensive.

I'm not prepared to discuss my income on a public forum, just looking for thoughts about places to explore.

If the question is too general, no problem. I figured it was worth putting out.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Retiring in Europe? Reply with quote

uh huh wrote:
Less expensive than more expensive.

I'm not prepared to discuss my income on a public forum, just looking for thoughts about places to explore.

If the question is too general, no problem. I figured it was worth putting out.

Then help others on this forum out by at least stating what you prefer or expect to spend each month. Otherwise, the few responses you get will be wild guesses.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the OP is hoping Europe long-timers are going to start gushing on about our personal favorite off-the-beaten track locations. I wouldn't waste my time without knowing more about his/her preferences. It's not only about income potential. Weather patterns, city size, local language, cuisine, culture - all matter and vary considerably on the continent.
danshengou

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With what the OP is putting forth, s/he could simply Google something like 'Best places to retire in Europe' and go from there! Or if cheap and warm are necessary, then 'cheap and warm places to retire in Europe', etc.
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Retiring in Europe? Reply with quote

uh huh wrote:
Hello,

After five eventful years abroad, in Latin America and Africa, and three "interesting" years back in the US, I am looking at retiring and am thinking about Europe. I speak Spanish and French and would like to find a place where I could do some English volunteering. Any thoughts about possible places to consider would be welcome. I'm more interested in less expensive and discovered places where the cost of living is less. Posts and PMs are fine.

Thanks!

We had been checking out various parts of France for the last 4 to 5 years with an eye to retiring from the Gulf in a year or two.

And the Burgundy region offers a great balance in terms of the aesthetic appeal of its towns/cities to the cost of living in them. Towns like Autun, for example, have very cheaply priced property with a wealth of culture. The Cathedral of Saint Lazare with its Cluniac capitals would serve as an endless source of learning in its own right, but Autun also has a Roman past.

Tournus, on the banks of the Soane, with its fine abbey church of Saint Philibert also has a lot to offer with some very well priced housing.

If you are willing to sacrifice aesthetic standards a little more, Challon sur Soane offers very cheaply priced housing. It has a hippy street music festival in July - not my cup of tea, as it cheapens the place quite dramatically - but it is on the river, has some fine architecture, and a not half-bad museum.

The Macon area is similar to Challon sur Soane in this regard. Not for us, but if your budget is tighter, not a bad option for western Europe. Very close to Lyon too.

The whole area has a rich history from pre-Roman through medieval to present day, and when you combine what it offers in outdoor activities with what it offers in food and wine, you can't seem to lose. Not many ex-pats either.

Unfortunately for us, Brexit now means that we might have to reconsider our plans as my wife will more likely than not lose her automatic right to reside in the EU through my passport.

Hope that helps!
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
my wife will more likely than not lose her automatic right to reside in the EU

As the OP is a US citizen, right of legal residence will be a substantial obstacle in his case as well. I realize that there are circumstances under which non-EU citizens can retire in some EU countries, but so far as I am aware, the financial requirements are quite high.
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quote:
my wife will more likely than not lose her automatic right to reside in the EU

As the OP is a US citizen, right of legal residence will be a substantial obstacle in his case as well. I realize that there are circumstances under which non-EU citizens can retire in some EU countries, but so far as I am aware, the financial requirements are quite high.

Thankfully for us, our years in the Gulf allow us to meet those requirements, but we are not comfortable knowing that permission to live in a country in the EU would largely depend on the favour of a country's government and not on the guarantee of EU law.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think of countries like Poland, the Czech Rep, and others, it's always been this way for US citizens who can live in the region legally, but through national rather than international law.

In some respects, I actually think this is safer, as a solid legal history in-country is generally recognized and respected in-country, while the EU law as a whole doesn't consider individual reputations or circumstances.
uh huh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Retiring in Europe? Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, I could have been clearer: "Thinking about retirement, doing lots of searches, and thought I'd tap into folks' experiences here. If there are any out-of-the-way places in Europe that tickle your fancy, I'd appreciate a PM so I can explore further. Always good to have other perspectives."
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh huh wrote:
Yes, I could have been clearer: "Thinking about retirement, doing lots of searches, and thought I'd tap into folks' experiences here. If there are any out-of-the-way places in Europe that tickle your fancy, I'd appreciate a PM so I can explore further. Always good to have other perspectives."

Since no one has even a general idea of your projected budget/finances, folks will be spinning their wheels guessing as to what you can afford. (It's like someone asking you to recommend an Asian restaurant "somewhere" in the US without knowing which Asian country and regional cuisine, the person's budget, preferences, etc.) Plus, the responses you've gotten so far are mostly from EU citizens; their experiences won't be useful to you as an American.

Anyway, it's best that you research European retirement spots for Americans on your own -- there are plenty of websites dedicated to this topic. Narrow down your list to five countries that culturally and physically appeal to you, and then research the laws specific to American retirees and your budget. Just keep in mind that immigration regs and laws can and do change.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have nerves of steel, you might want to give Italy a miss. 90% of it is earthquake-prone as we have just been reminded. (And the beautiful, out-of-the-way places are not so well served in an emergency.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: