Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Student slump?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kona

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Eastern Washington University’s English Language Institute is in crisis mode.

The intensive language training program for foreign students in Cheney, Wash., saw enrollment plummet by more than half in recent months, to 41 students for the spring quarter. It cut its part-time teaching staff to two from eight, and eliminated some student-worker positions.

Seemingly overnight, its core market—Saudi Arabian students funded by government scholarships—nosedived.

“We knew this wouldn’t last forever, but I wasn’t expecting as sharp a drop-off,” said Neil Heyen, the institute’s director.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-colleges-bounty-of-foreign-students-thins-1464085091
zbird

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I ask why you're focusing on universities rather than language schools? Are the pay or job prospects better?
kona

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zbird wrote:
Can I ask why you're focusing on universities rather than language schools? Are the pay or job prospects better?

Language centers pay much lower, sometimes below $20 an hour.
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update your online skills. Now, many colleges are seeking teachers who are willing to teach online/blended courses.
kona

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this could make a huge difference in the future. Will look it into it. Also, finally got some work for a local language center; pay is $28.42 per hour.
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Student slump? Reply with quote

To add to the ESL slump and to the potential detriment of many ELLs, one state's comm. college system has decided that ESL students who graduated from high school in the U.S. with a 3.0 QPA or higher may opt out of ESL and pursue regular academic classes. As educators, we know it will be a disservice to the ELLs in the long term, even though they may consider it a victory.

Last edited by peripatetic_soul on Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
danmbob

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which state decided to do that?
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Student Slump? Reply with quote

Reply to danmbob on "which state decided to do that?" VA - presents numerous challenges for professors of academic subjects. [revised]

Last edited by peripatetic_soul on Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:45 pm; edited 4 times in total
santi84

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile, in Canada...

Our student registration numbers are skyrocking, including international ESL students coming from the USA.
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Student Slump Reply with quote

Dear santi,

Quote:
Our student registration numbers are skyrocking, including international ESL students coming from the USA.

Are most of your ESL students on F-1 visas, or do they have a green card? I suppose that should be no surprise.

It will be interesting to compare ESL enrollment stats in the fall (after the new policy takes effect) with prior semesters when we had to add extra sections of classes. BTW, enrollment in regular academic classes has declined significantly each semester; I don't know if that can be attributed to more students pursuing online classes, precarious employment options, increasing tuition costs, or other factors.

PS
santi84

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Student Slump Reply with quote

peripatetic_soul wrote:
Dear santi,

Quote:

Are most of your ESL students on F-1 visas, or do they have a green card? I suppose that should be no surprise.

It will be interesting to compare ESL enrollment stats in the fall (after the new policy takes effect) with prior semesters when we had to add extra sections of classes. BTW, enrollment in regular academic classes has declined significantly each semester; I don't know if that can be attributed to more students pursuing online classes, precarious employment options, increasing tuition costs, or other factors.

PS

That's a tricky question. I'm not privy to their specific details but a number of them have recently obtained Canadian PR status (which is a similar concept to the US green card). There are always the F-1 students transferring in to Canada, but this new group is a suprise. Our college also has a proportionately high Muslim population, particulary from the countries on Trump's list. Coincidence? I don't know. I can't imagine they got their paperwork done that fast!
kona

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

santi84 wrote:
Meanwhile, in Canada...

I think Saudi Arabia cutting its scholarship program had a bigger effect on student numbers than the president's bombast, though that sure doesn't help either.

In Washington state, things have stabilized near Seattle, but rural universities have smaller programs now.
Noelle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very bleak here.

I'm in San Diego at a major university language program and we've just received an email advising us that fall enrollments look very bad, and to start planning/budgeting accordingly.

No job security since the Saudis stopped coming, but we all knew this day was imminent. Enrollment is less than half what it was this time last year for us, and numerous teachers have already lost their jobs. More cuts coming in a month for certain...Sad
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Student Slump Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by peripatetic_soul on Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are in the third week of the new IEP I started at a small college in NYC. When we planned for this fall, we sensibly budgeted for eight students for the semester. I knew that the SACM situation would make it tough to enjoy a large influx. Fortunately, we have somehow managed to enroll exactly eight students. All of them tested into our highest level (one semester of IEP then matriculate into degree programs); it would have been nice if some tested lower and continued onto spring!
The next hurdle is spring semester enrollment. Spring semester new enrollment is, in my experience, usually quite tricky, and this will be no different for this Program. I think we will be fortunate to have four to six students for spring. This may mean that one of our adjuncts will have to take the semester off, a prospect about which I certainly am not excited. We'll have to see.
Our current student roster is quite diverse, as we have students from Japan, Saudi Arabia (SACM), Chile, Ivory Coast, Turkey, as well as two Americans (an advantage of being in NYC, I guess!).
After attending NAFSA this summer and hearing the horror stories from IEPs around the country, I feel great that we were able to launch the Program and meet the budgetary planning, at least for the fall semester. However, as I said, spring is a whole other story, and we will see what the future will bring!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: