Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engineering College in Muscat via Red Chair Recruitment
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TEFOFF

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Engineering College in Muscat via Red Chair Recruitment Reply with quote

Dear All,
I'm just wondering does anyone have any inside information about this job, it looks good. Specifically, I'm wondering how much holidays they're offering?

Red Chair Recruitment are currently seeking English language teachers for our clients, an Engineering College based in Muscat, Oman.

My clients offer vocational based higher education and training in a range of engineering disciplines. Students can study towards Vocational, Bachelors or Masters qualifications at the university with many students also traveling internationally to further their education.

As part of the students studies towards Engineering qualifications at Vocational, BA and MA level, the students undertake an extensive English Language Program. You will be required to work Sunday – Thursday weekly, and instruct for up to 25 in class hours per week.

The colleges ethos and state of the art facilities provide an outstanding environment for staff and students alike.
This is an amazing opportunity with a fantastic tax free salary and also to live and work in one of the best locations in the Middle East, Muscat, the capital city of Oman

Responsibilities:
•Maintain a professional and enthusiastic manner while representing the school
•Be able to develop accurate and thorough lesson plans for each class.
•Be able to follow the curriculum provided as well as use initiative with activities and exercises.
•Strong ability to use educational technology and resources
•Strong motivator and ability to communicate clearly and manage classrooms effectively.
•Ability to discuss in detail students’ progress and any other relevant information with parents and / or senior staff.
•Culturally aware of your new environment and practice and protocol in Saudi Arabia
•Willingness to work in what can sometimes be a challenging environment.
•Be able to deal with disciplinary matters effectively and fairly.
•Obviously be patient and interested in student’s progression and development.

Requirements:
•A minim of MA qualification, specifically in English, Education, ESOL or Applied Linguistics ONLY will be considered
•CELTA, TEFL or equivalent qualification.
•Minimum 7 years’ experience
•Be able to speak English to mother tongue standard
•Ability and willingness to relocate
•Ability to meet all above responsibilities
Package on offer:
•A TAX FREE inclusive Housing and salary package of £41,800 GBP, $60,000 USD, $76,500 CAD, $80,000 AUD, 904,000 SA Rand
•Flights and Visas organised and provided
•Extensive paid holidays
•Rolling one year contracts

If these super posts are of interest to you, and if you are a holder of a MA degree as outlined above, please forward your cv to me directly at [email protected] for further details.
We Get People,

Adrien King
Director

Red Chair Recruitment, Recruitment House, 91 New Street, Killarney, Co. Kerry, Ireland
Tel: +353 (0) 64 66 22 007
Mob: +353 (0)86 468 1212
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.redchairrecruitment.ie
LinkedIn: - http://ie.linkedin.com/in/adrienking feel free to get connected with me[b][/b]
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be Muscat University
grahamb

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Red Chair Reply with quote

The client is the Military Technical College. I believe the annual leave entitlement is 45 days.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Pay - Currency conversion Reply with quote

I didn't see any pay in Omani Rials, which makes me suspicious.

Using today's online currency converter, the quoted 41k GBP is only 54k (not 60k) USD, only 71k (not (76) CAD, only 72k (not 80k) AUD and 785k (not 904k) ZAR.

So, what is the conversion from OMR to GBP if the other conversions are also much lower than quoted? And are those foreign currency quotes reliable as the pay will be in Omani Rial after all.

The in class instruction of up to 25 hours is high, as 20 used to be the ceiling in comparable jobs. The class size is not given, let's assume there are 40 students. The preparation and marking load will be heavy and make for a long work week.

The add is full of punctuation and other mistakes, e.g. advertising for Oman but putting Saudi Arabia in the ad Rolling Eyes
" •Culturally aware of your new environment and practice and protocol in Saudi Arabia "
Shocked
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: MTC, Muscat Reply with quote

The ad is genuine. Have a look at the other threads on this forum about the MTC.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the ad is likely genuine, but it has stated error of mentioning Saudi Arabia suggesting that this is rather a stock ad from them... insert country. (proofreading suggested)

Since it will be paid in Omani Riyals, it should be stated in that currency.

VS
rustyrockets

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If these super posts are of interest to you"

What on earth is a "super post"? Rolling Eyes
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It means super jobs or positions.

British/Irish English?

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
It means super jobs or positions.

British/Irish English?

VS

No, more like childish English.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL

If the ad didn't come from Ireland (,ie), we would likely consider it part of the Indian dialect.

VS
grahamb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Super Reply with quote

The adjective super is by no means peculiar to Indian English. Aintcha never heard of the Boeing B-29 Superfortress? Or the 2010 American film, Super?
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: issues Reply with quote

Rather than a nationality/English language competency issue, it seems more like laziness.

1) Use a bland template
2) Don't bother including the local currency, just use some random high figured salaries in other currencies as bait
3) Don't bother proofreading, if it says Saudi Arabia instead of Oman, who cares?
4) Use abbreviations like "super posts" instead of proper formulated sentences, why bother?
5) Old-fashioned terminology (e.g. English mother tongue instead of English as a first language) adds the final touch.

Overall, it creates the impression that some tosser in Ireland splashes stock ads for various gulf countries across a range of platforms to get applicants. Once the commission is collected and the desperate or delusional teachers are dumped in the desert, they care as much about them as they care about the quality of their ads.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Super Reply with quote

grahamb wrote:
The adjective super is by no means peculiar to Indian English. Aintcha never heard of the Boeing B-29 Superfortress? Or the 2010 American film, Super?

I didn't interpret the question as the meaning of "super" but the meaning of "posts."

Check out this company's website...

Buyer beware and be sure to ask lots of questions and get the answers in writing.

VS
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Red Chair Reply with quote

I am familiar with their website through my job-hunting.

Post is commonly used in BE, as is position. During my time in the Gulf I noticed that placement was typically used by Indian English speakers.

Quoting the salary in the currencies of Anglophone countries is hardly laziness; English speakers with mother tongue (!) competence tend to come from those countries. Exchange rates fluctuate, but the figures quoted give a good idea of the salary offered.

Cutting and pasting is a feature of job ads and job descriptions nowadays. At least the ad in question isn't looking for passionate, dynamic teachers.
Lord T

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: issues Reply with quote

Whatever will be wrote:

Overall, it creates the impression that some tosser in Ireland splashes stock ads for various gulf countries across a range of platforms to get applicants. Once the commission is collected and the desperate or delusional teachers are dumped in the desert, they care as much about them as they care about the quality of their ads.

True and could apply to every agency/recruiter that I've ever dealt with.

However, as a person, I found Mr. 'We Get People' to be likeable, but he's working in a declining industry that gets more cut throat by the day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: