Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engineering College in Muscat via Red Chair Recruitment
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Red Chair Reply with quote

grahamb wrote:
Quoting the salary in the currencies of Anglophone countries is hardly laziness; English speakers with mother tongue (!) competence tend to come from those countries. Exchange rates fluctuate, but the figures quoted give a good idea of the salary offered.

Exactly... exchange rates fluctuate... often by a large amount.

I wouldn't call it laziness, but more likely misleading. That is why the salary should be stated in the currency in which it is paid. Google will bring you the conversion to the currency you prefer within seconds.

VS
danshengou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1900 OMR to work at MTC is a joke. And the fact that they require an MA + 7 years to get the job is even sillier because this is at best a BA + 2 job. I would wish them luck, but they wouldn't know what to do with it.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Salary smoke screen Reply with quote

The salary will be paid in Rial so it should be stated in Rial.

Playing silly games will get them silly people.
Motorcycleman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Has anyone actually been recruited through Red Chair? Reply with quote

Has anyone actually been recruited through Red Chair for this position?

If so, please post here with your experiences of both the recruitment process, and of the post itself.

How long did the rec process take? How long before mobilisation? What was the visa ap process? etc ...

What institution is it? What are the class sizes? What are the teaching and office hours? How much holiday is offered? What is the accommodation like?

Last edited by Motorcycleman on Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorcycleman wrote:
I applied last year and didn't get an interview for the valid reason that I had not completed my MA. I was, however, put forward for a 'lesser' position in KSA, and was then 'encouraged' by R.C. to accept a far less favourable offer, which I declined.

Red Chair is advertising again, and I have put my details forward again. This time I have both the required BA Eng and MA TESOL, and I will be very suspicious I don't get an interview. Will update ... No off topic pedantry please ...

You're referring to this ad, http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=44291:

Quote:
Requirements:
- A minim of MA qualification, specifically in English, Education, ESOL or Applied Linguistics coupled with a BA degree in English, Education or Applied Linguistics WILL ONLY will be considered.
- CELTA, TEFL or equivalent qualification.
- Minimum 7 years’ experience
- Be able to speak English to mother tongue standard
- Ability and willingness to relocate
- Ability to meet all above responsibilities

PLEASE NOTE:
My clients are insisting that all candidates hold the qualifications as outlined in detail for any application to proceed. If you do not hold these qualifications your application will be not consider

That ad needs reworking; it mentions KSA as well. Plus, it's unclear if those 7 years of experience need to have been gained post-MA.
ayatollah

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: superposts boutique Reply with quote

Quote:
Red Chair is a "boutique" recruitment agency based in Ireland.

I was interviewed by one of the team at the superjobs boutique. He couldn't answer any of my questions about the job. Said AK would get back to me with all the answers. He never did. We forget people.
Arenta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it can be very misleading, whether deliberate or accidental, quoting the pay in anything but the actual currency it will be paid in. I've found this to be the case with RC a few times. The pay never matches the quote when converted.
teachertomthailand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A (Mod edit for name) emailed me a job I was interested in, when I got back to him it was just before Christmas. He took a Christmas vacation from December 23 to January 1st. It is now January 3rd and although I have emailed him and even called his cell phone from where I am in the US, he has not responded. This has been disappointing because he had a job in Jeddha that I was really interested in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: