Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Indonesia update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mezz73

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Indonesia update Reply with quote

Just thought I would add a new topic on Indonesia...seeing as there is so little activity. I worked in Surabaya from 2000-2001. Yes, I know awhile ago. I was single working first for EF then ILP. The work load at EF twice a week was excessive but I lived in a Subsidised house, which I shared with other teachers and earned RP 6.000.000 a month. Life was comfortable, I could travel, my purchasing power was high and I could afford to stay/eat at five star hotels.

I have just returned from Indonesia on holiday. It was the first time I have been back in over 9 years. Wow. Prices have jumped in the region of 40%.
If you wish to work in this fascinating country (for good or ill) choose a city that is cheaper than Jakarta. Anywhere bar Manado, Sulawesi! and make sure you are earning at least RP 10.000.00 a month otherwise save up and go there on holiday! Happy teaching.
Kimchidon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with Manado, out of curiosity?
jef dam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 juta is incredibly low, especially if you're in Jakarta proper and have to stump up for your own accommodation. As far as I know EF start at in and around 12jt these days, I'm open to correction though. They are however actively cutting back on their native speakers.
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:44 am    Post subject: Costs Reply with quote

2001 was a different time. Indonesia was still at the tail-end of a devastating financial crisis. You could get rooms back then for 10,000 Rp ($1) a night at Lake Toba, Bukit Lawang and other backpacker hangs-outs. The same basic room would cost not 40% more now but probably more like 10 to 15 times.

Similarly, there are hotels in Jakarta I've stayed at which cost $30 back in the day which now go for $100. Indonesia, especially Jakarta, no longer has the rock-bottom prices it did a decade or so ago. Also, Jakarta is the biggest city in the world without a Metro, so it's traffic jams are deservedly the stuff of legend. You need to earn enough money to take taxis sometimes or you will go nuts.

Over the past 5 years I also hear more and more people describe Bali as a big traffic jam, overdeveloped concrete jungle etc. There are no limits on development and little remains of the 'paradise' which travelers reported in the 1970s and before. It is now more of a tacky, low-end beach resort with overpriced alcohol.

Based on my recent trip, I would suggest Indonesia is still okay for people on private school salaries, however, it is no longer a place where you could live it up on a small salary of $1000 a month or less. You'd be better off in Thailand or Vietnam on a very low salary.
godmachine12

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Costs Reply with quote

bradleycooper wrote:

Over the past 5 years I also hear more and more people describe Bali as a big traffic jam, overdeveloped concrete jungle etc. There are no limits on development and little remains of the 'paradise' which travelers reported in the 1970s and before. It is now more of a tacky, low-end beach resort with overpriced alcohol.

Yeah, that sums it up right there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: