Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pieces of the puzzle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EdRooney

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Pieces of the puzzle Reply with quote

Im interested in taking a tefl course next year. I feel I've done my research, but there seem to be a few unanswered questions. First off, word around the campfire is that a Zivno takes about two months to process. Is one able to gain employment while it is being processed or must one wait till it is completed? If the case is the later and since peak hiring season for new teachers is August, would it be wise to take the May TEFL course and fart around till hiring season? Also, what is an average starting wage and working hours? I understand it is relative, but ball-park figures would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peak hiring period is September; most everyone is on holiday in August. You can't come in May and 'fart around' until September on a 90-day tourist visa. Your clock will run out before you find employment and get the visa secured. It's a better idea to take a tefl course in August and be ready to seek work right out of the gate at the first of September.

Average starting wage I think is around 25,000 (very roughly) after taxes. Chris Westergaard or others may chime in soon with more current/better info. Basically, it's enough to live ok so long as you are frugal most days, but still to enjoy life in the CR. Not enough to save up much or to pay off debt back home. Keep in mind that you'll have start-up costs as well, and that employers will pay monthly, for the month already worked, so your earliest paycheck possibility is early October.
EdRooney

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, Spiral. So, I can apply for the Zivno before I have completed the TEFL course? I was under the impression that completing the TEFL course was a prerequisite for obtaining the Zivno. Chris Westergaard advice/info would be appreciated as The Language House is where I'm planning on taking the course. If I do take the course in August, will I be able to "work right out of the gate," or will I have to wait till the Zivno is processed (possibly missing the first of September hiring)? I just don't want to get stuck in limbo. There will be a lot of other recent graduates in the same position as myself and I would like to have some sort of leg up to secure employment. 25,000czk fits into my pseudo-budget. May have to park the Maserati though.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been around quite a while but not in a context where myself or colleagues deal with zivnos. In the past, it was common for teachers to start work immediately the paperwork was underway; I guess it is still the same but you will want current info.
You won't need the Maserati; we have excellent public transit;-)
Chris Westergaard

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello EdRooney,

Most schools pay about 200-250 CZK per 45 minutes of actual teaching. From that, it's really up to you how much you want to work (or not work). The biggest factor with hours is travel time. Some schools/jobs might have you travelling a lot in the city and that can take away from the actual time you can realistically work. Overall, I recommend people work about 30x45 min per week. This amounts to about 24 hours of contact time teaching. From there, you can substitute a private lesson here and there to make more money.

Schools hire fast here. You show up for an interview/demo lesson, and if they like you, you'll probably start working a within a week. There's no need to come in May unless 1. You don't feel like working during the summer and want to take a advantage of the great weather. 2. You are fine working in summer camps since the general market slows down.

September/August are the biggest months, but there's really jobs year round. Schools are looking for teaching all of the time since the lifestyle is pretty transient; teachers are always coming and going.

The Zivno takes about 4-8 weeks to clear with your visa. Make sure you have someone help you out with this. I recommend Visa Guru. We actually have them work directly in our building now at The Language House TEFL. There's a bunch of other companies out there too, so take a look around and see what you find out.

Some schools will hire you while the Zivno/Visa is in process. Some schools won't. That's something you can find out when you interview with them.

Overall Prague is a great experience. I train about 200-250 teachers each year and the mass, mass, majority love their time here and love the city. It's hard to make a lot of money, especially if you are new, but you'll be able to support yourself. Just make sure to have savings with you since it will cost at least 2,000 USD to set up shop. That's AFTER all of your course fees and visa expenses.

Good luck to you!
EdRooney

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: