Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any info on Ontario International Canadian School (OICS)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cafe99

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Any info on Ontario International Canadian School (OICS) Reply with quote

Does anyone know anything about OICS in Dubai. They are a new school just 2 years or so. Especially advice from those who actually work there? They dont respond much to emails and the admin can be kind of mean in interaction.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are online reviews about this school. Also, ask on International Schools Review; it's geared to subject teachers as opposed to this ESL site.

The school is likely ignoring you because you didn't send them your applicant packet; their website states: "Please note that only those applications under active consideration for employment will be contacted." In fact, you may already be on their "no hire" list if they've deemed you to be pesky.
cafe99

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nomad.
Do you have the link for the school reviews? I never saw anything about an application packet on their website? so I guess I missed that. You could be right about the "no hire list". I totally feel neglected and ignored. But maybe its just too late for hiring.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following is stated on the school's careers page:
    If you are interested in being considered for a position with the Ontario International Canadian School you are invited to submit your resume, on-line, as follows:
    Non-Teaching: vacancy@....
    Teaching: vacancy@....
    Please note that only those applications under active consideration for employment will be contacted.

For reviews, do a Net search using: Ontario International Canadian School review
AmericanAmina

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This school is a few blocks from my house. I don't know anyone teaching there, but I have several friends who send their kids there, and they all praise the school. These families are Canadian, Lebanese, and Pakistani, so that's a variety of people with different expectations and all with positive opinions.
SmithJones

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump of an old thread. Any up to date advice/knowledge is appreciated.

I was contacted by this school a few weeks ago, having had my CV up on a job board, and after a couple back and forths, I was offered a position.

Here is the thing: I have yet to have a real conversation with anybody (only bureaucratic formalities), and I have not had an interview. Yet, I have been offered a job with a salary that seems too good to be true, though I am not down with the latest Gulf salaries. Additionally, my background is ELA, not subject teaching, so this made things a bit more surprising.

I am waiting for a response to my requests to speak to people outside of the HR department, and we'll see how it goes, but anybody have any information or advice about this place?

Thanks in advance, all!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like a scam. A lot of scammers use the name of a real school to offer jobs to people who list their CVs on boards.

Number one... do not pay any money to anyone for anything. They should provide the visa and the ticket. Do not believe any promises that it will be refunded when you arrive. That is the prime proof that it is a scam.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmithJones wrote:
Here is the thing: I have yet to have a real conversation with anybody (only bureaucratic formalities), and I have not had an interview.

Several red flags that point to a scam, especially since OICS has apparently closed:

School in Dubai to shut down, over 200 students affected
khaleej Times | June 27, 2019
https://www.khaleejtimes.com/news/education/school-in-dubai-shuts-down-over-200-students-affected

Over 200 parents are scrambling to secure seats for their children as the Ontario International Canadian School (OICS) based in Mirdiff is set to shut down citing financial issues. The school, which has an acceptable rating, opened in 2014 and is owned by Hasnain Dar.

Speaking to Khaleej Times, Greg Cosgrove, the project manager and school consultant, said that the school is in the process of shutting down and will close by the end of this school semester. "We have put in a request with the KHDA but have not got an answer yet," he said.

Between 45-50 teaching and non-teaching staff will also be affected by the closure. "The owner has been in touch with Kings' Education and many of our students will be shifting to that school," said Cosgrove. "Also, there are a number of other options in Mirdiff area which parents are looking into," he said.

A circular, signed by Dar, was also issued to parents last week. "I have continuously been engaged in discussions with KHDA regarding the future of OICS. However, it is only fair for me to share with you that regardless of the ultimate outcome in the coming days, the school does not have the financial support to continue beyond June 30, 2019," read the circular.

(End of excerpt)
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Any info on Ontario International canadian School (OICS) Reply with quote

Have you checked the email address of the sender to make sure it's a legitimate domain? It could be that your messages remain unanswered if it's not.
Have you seen this article on fake domains:
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/hackers-are-flooding-the-internet-with-more-fake-domain-names-heres-how-you-can-protect-yourself

To echo VS' admonition, never ever send any money or pay for a visa in advance.

Regards,
PS
SmithJones

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the responses.

I don't consider myself one to be taken by scammers, but I realize that sometimes you do miss things, which is one reason I posted on here - also just in case somebody else got a similar "offer". The weird thing is that I went to the website and compared email addresses from their 'contact us' page, and it was the same ending as the one I was sent from.

Just the same, all the necessary reminders on here - don't pay in advance, compare emails, in-depth searches beyond just the company website - are well noted, and best not forgotten.

In the end, I sent an email expressing my "excitement" at the prospect of the position, and requesting to be in contact with somebody from your "esteemed" organization.

*Crickets*

Wow, I guess they suddenly just lost interest! Wink
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Any info on Ontario International Canada School (OICS) Reply with quote

Dear SmithJones:

"Wow, I guess they suddenly just lost interest!" - OR More like it's official
that they are folding!
PS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: