Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will my work experience with children help me find work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dishco55

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Will my work experience with children help me find work? Reply with quote

Hello Friends.
I'm new to the forum and was curious about something.
I'm 24 years old and as such I don't really have any strict teaching experience under my belt yet. I know that will hinder my job search but I was wondering if my experience in the field of professional childcare (3 years), and as a youth services librarian (1 year) would be of any extra benefit to finding ESL jobs.

I do have "some" experience teaching English. I was an au pair working for a French family that helped their 2 kids practice English. As someone who spoke very little French it helped me work with them in some creative ways.
Would working as an au pair "up" my resume?
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From an employer's perspective, probably not. In practice, you will likely find it easier to cope with classroom management compared to the poor souls who step in preschool/elementary without understanding child development.
Dishco55

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

santi84 wrote:
From an employer's perspective, probably not. In practice, you will likely find it easier to cope with classroom management compared to the poor souls who step in preschool/elementary without understanding child development.

Thanks for the reply! I'm aiming to teach Preschool/Elementary. I'm confident that my experience in the field will give me some practical experience but I was hoping that it might just transfer over to helping my resume as well.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you thinking of going?
Basically, in parts of the world where kiddie-teachers are more in demand, your experience matters more. Where the job market is tighter, it will help less-to-not-at-all.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dishco55 wrote:
I'm aiming to teach Preschool/Elementary. I'm confident that my experience in the field will give me some practical experience but I was hoping that it might just transfer over to helping my resume as well.

You didn't mention if you have at least a BA, and if so, in which major? Since you're interested in early childhood education (ECE), do you plan to pursue teaching licensure/certification as well?
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for all corners of the globe, but schools tend to want either certified teachers (such as early ed/elementary in your home state) or they don't. If they don't, then being a 24 year old female who likes kids is probably good enough.* Most people who pass through this board are not interested in teaching children.

*Assuming, of course, you meet legal requirements for immigration such as a degree in most locations.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Will my work experience with children help me find work? Reply with quote

Dishco55 wrote:
Hello Friends.
I'm 24 years old and as such I don't really have any strict teaching experience under my belt yet. I know that will hinder my job search but I was wondering if my experience in the field of professional childcare (3 years), and as a youth services librarian (1 year) would be of any extra benefit to finding ESL jobs.

I do have "some" experience teaching English. I was an au pair working for a French family that helped their 2 kids practice English. As someone who spoke very little French it helped me work with them in some creative ways.

If you have a bachelor's degree and a US passport then it won't matter.
Bonus points for being white or female.

Korea and China, beckon with lots of offers for people with no experience. Get a year under your belt and look for better paying opportunities. There are lots of EFL professionals who started out the same as you.

If you do not have a degree then your chances of finding of legal work as a teacher just went down significantly across most of the planet.

Dishco55

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Dishco55 wrote:
I'm aiming to teach Preschool/Elementary. I'm confident that my experience in the field will give me some practical experience but I was hoping that it might just transfer over to helping my resume as well.

You didn't mention if you have at least a BA, and if so, in which major? Since you're interested in early childhood education (ECE), do you plan to pursue teaching licensure/certification as well?

I recently graduated with my BA in history. I plan to go through celta as soon as the dust settles from my recent graduation. As far as any other childcare certifications I'll need I'm ready to jump through all the hoops.
Dishco55

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Where are you thinking of going?
Basically, in parts of the world where kiddie-teachers are more in demand, your experience matters more. Where the job market is tighter, it will help less-to-not-at-all.

Asia is my goal. Some people said China would be good to expierence and I'm all for that. My goal however is Thailand
Dishco55

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Will my work experience with children help me find work? Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
Dishco55 wrote:
Hello Friends.

If you have a bachelor's degree and a US passport then it won't matter.
Bonus points for being white or female.

Korea and China, beckon with lots of offers for people with no experience. Get a year under your belt and look for better paying opportunities. There are lots of EFL professionals who started out the same as you.

If you do not have a degree then your chances of finding of legal work as a teacher just went down significantly across most of the planet.

Thanks for the advice. I'm aiming for China (mainly for experience) so that I can hopefully land a decent wage somewhere else.
mrenglish2nd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget anyplace other than China if money is one of your goals. I worked there for 7 years and had a 1-man private tutoring business for close to 5 years. Specialized in adults, which is a tough market, as I had zero interest in kidlets under the age of 10 or thereabouts, and didn't have a lot of students under high school age. But the demand for teachers of kidlets, especially ages 5 to 12 or thereabouts, is HUGE. Get a business visa and just go there with $10,000 U.S., pick up work through eChinacities.com at after school/weekend private places, and connect with parents where you live. Better, for rapid finding of students, get a job teaching at a kindergarten or primary school and connect with parents there. If you're skilled at and interested in working with kidlets you have a gigantic market in China.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: