Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AMA Int Uni Job Offer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Railway3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: AMA Int Uni Job Offer Reply with quote

Hi Everyone

I have been offered a job as an Assistant Professor at the AMA Int Uni. The package include: a basic salary of 1000 BD, Transportation Allowance of 45 BD, Housing Allowance (amount not declared yet), 30 days holidays split in 3 phases (10 days after each trimester), annual tickets.

I have a PhD (no post PhD experience) and all my degrees are from UK. IS the salary good enough? Has the salary structure has gone down recently?

Any other comments regarding AMA and/or salmabad will be highly appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't seem to be discussed in this forum, but according to the Net, AMA International University (AMAIU) is a Bahrain branch of the Philippine-based AMA Computer University.

As for the job offer, that's a mediocre 2034 GBP ($2650 US). And yes, salaries have gone down everywhere.

Assistant professor for which subject/degree program?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To The OP,

That's a terrible salary for Bahrain...and your qualifications. I know of EFL teachers in Bahrain who earn more than that just by having a Bachelors degree and a TEFL certificate. Also Bahrain is becoming more and more expensive these days.....especially in accomodation costs! Food costs are rising too due to inflation etc.
Railway3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assistant Professor of Computer Networking.

The salary is little less than what I am getting here at KSA as a lecturer. However, it looks like it will be difficult to get promoted as promotion applications from expats are not really welcomed.

I know the salary is much lower than EFL instructors, but at this moment this is the only offer I have in hand.

Any idea on the visa procedure? When do I need the original certificates stamped by Commonwealth Office (UK)? at the immigration or while applying for residence permit?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sullyofdoha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Yikes! Reply with quote

First off,
Bahrain is a fun place to live and work. That being said, one needs a good salary to live! Just for your info, I have a Masters Degree and I had taught MBA and undergrad in Canada for a couple years before going to Bahrain and my salary was more than twice what you have identified. Plus over 60 days of annual leave each year. BTW, that was back in 2004! In addition, AMA has a fairly shoddy reputation. My suggestion is for you to NOT sell yourself short. The offer is a low ball, from a low ball institution.
Railway3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure about Bahrain, but salary has gone down in many ME countries including Saudi Arabia in the recent past years.

My salary has been reduced by 1700 SAR this year and housing benefits are most probably gone as well.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salaries in Bahrain for EFL teachers vary....like in most of the GULF..however there are still good EFL teaching jobs to be found mostly in international schools surrounding the Manama area. I have several South African friends currently earning good money teaching there and are saving money too. Smile Smile
teacherman73

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was getting 1400BD/month total package with an MA at a uni (2014-2016), for about 30hrs/week total, 15 hrs teaching. That is a really low salary, but they offered me 700BD/month for 40hrs/week 3 yrs ago so I guess they have increased their offers.

You can expect to pay 400-500 BD/month for a decent, fully furnished place.

Oh, and you should be getting 60 days holiday a year, all of July/August, this is standard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Bahrain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: