Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best markets/regions for teaching adults?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsHoffman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:30 am    Post subject: Best markets/regions for teaching adults? Reply with quote

Greetings and Salutations!

I'm a newbie to teaching English overseas and I'm honestly open to almost any country/region, although I'm not interested in the EU. Therefore, I'm curious - where are the best teaching positions right now, especially if I want to limit my search to university positions and/or institutions with adult students? (I don't have any experience teaching people under the age of 1Cool.

A little about me:

My name is Heather and I'm an ESL Instructor. I currently teach seven classes/week for adult learners in San Bernardino, CA.

Although I love my job, I feel like it's time for a change. I've lived overseas before and I would really like the chance to immerse myself in a new culture and language. Life is short and the planet is big...

Education:

TEFL Certificate from University of California, Riverside
M.A. in English from Loyola Marymount Unviersity, Los Angeles
B.A. in English from University of California, Los Angeles
Certificate in Teaching Italian from University of Genoa, Italy

Experience:

Adjunct Faculty at Loyola Marymount University for two years:
College Writing, ESL Business English, Literature

Adjunct Faculty at University of California, Riverside for four years:
ESL Intermediate/Advanced Writing, ESL Intermediate/Advanced Speaking/Listening, Mythology, Gender Studies, Italian.

Associate Faculty at Ashford University for one year:
College Writing

Instructor at the Asian American Resource Center for one year:
ESL Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced

All told, I have 10+ years experience in adult education, 7 of them teaching in four-year universities. I also speak Spanish and Italian.

I'm not materialistic, and I'm not looking for a huge income. Just a place to meet new people and learn a new language.

So where are the best markets for university teaching positions right now? What do you all think? Also, do you see any red flags or omissions in the above info? I am open to feedback and eager to learn from you all.

Thanks for your time,
Heather
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible locations:

Kazakhstan
Turkey
Mexico
China

You'd have to get more info in terms of cities, when to apply, salary ranges, etc., via the specific country forums.

There's also the English Language Fellow (ELF) Program, although the application process is tedious.
MsHoffman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:13 am    Post subject: Thanks for the info Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick reply, I'll definitely look into those countries. Mexico is close by, so it's high on my list already.
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The University of Guadalajara is one of the few places in the country with a very good representation of other languages taught, so if you look into there, you may teach English and Italian. Proulex is a language center associated with the University.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: