Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone heard of EZ Learning?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
elwood

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:42 am    Post subject: Anyone heard of EZ Learning? Reply with quote

Hello everyone and thanks for taking the time to read this. Does anyone have any insight into a language school called "EZ Learning"? Is anyone currently working there? Can anyone comment on their reputation?

They have branches in Da Nang, Hue and Can Tho. I believe the mother company of these branches is actually a software company.

This is their website: http://ezlearning.edu.vn

Thanks again
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like just another recently-opened language school, one of many popping up in the provincial capitals and smaller cities throughout the country.

Have you contacted them?
elwood

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: EZ learning Vietnam Reply with quote

Hello Sigmoid and thanks for the reply. I have contacted them and have a Skype interview in a few weeks. I'll keep you posted
sigmoid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. It's Tết (Lunar New Year) now, so schools are closed until the 15th, next week. After that, there will be an slow but steady increase in demand which peaks in the summer and doesn't start to slow down again until the regular school year starts again. Anyway, you should have a range of job options and be able to be a bit choosy.

Danang is generally considered to be a very good location, not sure about Hue, which is a tourist town nearby. Can Tho is in the Mekong Delta and has the advantage of being near HCMC.

Apply to as many schools as you can, ask a lot of questions and try to get the chance to talk to current foreign staff. Don't just sign up for the first thing that comes along. Actually, if possible, you should come to Vietnam first before agreeing to anything.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never even heard of them in Danang, and that seems to be their "main" location. They appear to be another run of the mill language center with franchises in several cities. Their pictures on the website looks like they have better facilities than most.
elwood

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: EZ learning Reply with quote

Hello expatluke,

Thanks for the help. I agree that their facilities don't look too bad. I'm still waiting for an interview with them.
elwood

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: EZ learning Reply with quote

Hello everyone and thanks again for your help regarding EZ learning Hue. I interviewed with them last week. It seems like a legit school. Here is what I found out:

*2 month probationary period
*Starting salary of $800 a month, but increases to $1000 after the probationary period
*Accommodations are paid (But not during probationary period)
*25 teaching hours a month, 6 days a week, a mixture of kids, teens, adults
* It’s possible to work 5 days a week, but the days off probably won’t be consecutive
*The students are respectful
*Monthly gatherings for teachers
*They prefer a year commitment
deadlift

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: EZ learning Reply with quote

elwood wrote:

*Starting salary of $800 a month, but increases to $1000 after the probationary period
*25 teaching hours a month, 6 days a week

That works out to 1 teaching hour a day, at $32 to $40 per hour. I'm not familiar with the labour market in Hue, but that seems to be unrealistically generous. What's the catch?
elwood

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Deadlift,

Thanks for pointing out my mistake!!! It's supposed to be 25 hours a week.
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elwood wrote:
Hey Deadlift,

Thanks for pointing out my mistake!!! It's supposed to be 25 hours a week.

$8 an hour probationary.
$10 an hour after that....

What do they do about providing accommodations ?
I will be shocked if they provide you a private place.

25 class hours a week in actuality means that you are probably there at the school 8 or 9 hours a day, six days a week.... be careful.
kurtz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: EZ learning Reply with quote

elwood wrote:
Hello everyone and thanks again for your help regarding EZ learning Hue. I interviewed with them last week. It seems like a legit school. Here is what I found out:

*2 month probationary period
*Accommodations are paid (But not during probationary period)
*25 teaching hours a month, 6 days a week, a mixture of kids, teens, adults
* It’s possible to work 5 days a week, but the days off probably won’t be consecutive
*The students are respectful
*Monthly gatherings for teachers
*They prefer a year commitment

I think one month is fair on full pay, not two months on reduced pay.

$800-$1000 is pretty low even with paid accommodation which I doubt will be too flash.

25 hours a week is about four hours a day spread evenly over 6 days, but is it all day Saturday? Some schools try and squeeze as much as they can out of teachers on weekends.

Respectful students. Sounds wishy washy to me. By whose standards? You're out bush, so I doubt the students are as arrogant as say, Hanoi entitled brats so it might be true.

Monthly gatherings. Can be ok if the company is paying. I avoid as most talk is usually about work or gossip.

They want a year. Reasonable demand.

All in all it sounds ok as long as you don't expect to save much.

However, how about paid holidays? Work permit and visa issued? Split shifts? Medical insurance? Sick days? Paid or unpaid national holidays? End of contract bonus? Personal development sessions? Dealing with foreign or local management? How paid and how taxed? You need to ask these questions.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The offer is pretty low end... In Danang, a newbie teacher could probably expect to make about $1000 a month just teaching 15 hours per week. I can't imagine anyone would want to live in Hue which is just 2 hours away from Danang and work for less money in a less desirable city...

For a salaried, package deal... it's a bad offer. It makes no mention of extra working hours. 25 teaching hours is a lot and requires a lot of planning. It seems the office hours are all unpaid. It makes no mention if days off or holidays are paid. No mention of work permit sponsorship. No mention of health insurance. And to top it all off, the 2 month probationary period is added. 20% less pay and have to find your own accomodation for 2 months... ouch.

While salaried teaching positions are rare in Vietnam, you can still do much better than this one.
prettygoodsh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: AVOID Reply with quote

I have worked here and they should be avoided at all costs. We were on $16 an hour but they will cut your pay when you commit to them. They will scam you over a currency conversion. They will not get you a work permit and try to blackmail into signing a contract for half the money and say it if for the work permit. They will say the police are after you etc You will work 6 days a week and nearly 45 hours. You will get paid for only your teaching hours. We will have to work many events for free. They will hold "parties" at your home and will have to pay. The will lie to you about poor enrolement rates and say you are a crap teacher but yet try to get you to sign a 2 years contract for half the pay. This school would be OK to work in if Ms Van (manager) did not work there. Do not trust this woman. Feel free to contact me directly and I will go into more detail privately.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: AVOID Reply with quote

prettygoodsh wrote:
I have worked here and they should be avoided at all costs. We were on $16 an hour but they will cut your pay when you commit to them. They will scam you over a currency conversion. They will not get you a work permit and try to blackmail into signing a contract for half the money and say it if for the work permit. They will say the police are after you etc You will work 6 days a week and nearly 45 hours. You will get paid for only your teaching hours. We will have to work many events for free. They will hold "parties" at your home and will have to pay. The will lie to you about poor enrolement rates and say you are a crap teacher but yet try to get you to sign a 2 years contract for half the pay. This school would be OK to work in if Ms Van (manager) did not work there. Do not trust this woman. Feel free to contact me directly and I will go into more detail privately.

Good information here. What branch did you work at? The one in Hue, Danang, or Can Tho?
prettygoodsh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hue. We worked there for 5 months and 8 teachers past through the place and all left on bad terms because of dirty tricks for management.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: