Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs in Iran?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tarantogosh

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Jobs in Iran? Reply with quote

Has anyone heard anything about Iran opening up in terms of TESOL?

Thanks
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foreign EFL teachers (of specific nationalities) have been working in Iran for some time.

Try the British Council. Also see the thread, IRAN.
Tarantogosh

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
ebparsa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Foreign EFL teachers (of specific nationalities) have been working in Iran for some time.

Try the British Council. Also see the thread, IRAN.

The English are generally despised in Iran even though Iranians are one of the most hospitable people on earth. So, if you're English, forget it.
Why? Well, go back to the 50's and Operation Ajax when the English with the Americans destroyed democracy in Iran just because Iran had the audacity to nationalize its oil industry and kicked out lecherous British companies.

Also, Iran will probably never require NES English teachers as they have a large diaspora in countries like the United States and Canada that are highly educated and as things get better in Iran, they would be the first ones to return to invest and to fill even teaching positions.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebparsa wrote:
The English are generally despised in Iran even though Iranians are one of the most hospitable people on earth. So, if you're English, forget it.
Why? Well, go back to the 50's and Operation Ajax when the English with the Americans destroyed democracy in Iran just because Iran had the audacity to nationalize its oil industry and kicked out lecherous British companies.

Also, Iran will probably never require NES English teachers as they have a large diaspora in countries like the United States and Canada that are highly educated and as things get better in Iran, they would be the first ones to return to invest and to fill even teaching positions.

Based on the experience of British and American travelers in Iran, you are reflecting a government position (and/or yours) and not the friendly citizens of Iran, most of which are too young to remember the '50s.

And there is actually significant demand for English teachers, BUT the government makes it very difficult, if not impossible, to get visas to stay. You won't find ads being run, but teacher friends traveling in Iran were offered jobs. They ran into some expat teachers who had taken short term positions. Not really a job opportunity in the normal TESOL sense.

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When working in Dhahran I had a little sideline as an IELTS Examiner. The IELTS people in Teheran asked me to go over and do some examining. I was quite excited and got ready to go. I could not get a visa, despite using all the local influence I had in Riyadh.

Politically-clued up people in Iran remember Mossadegh and the part played by British and Americans in his downfall.
Mikalina

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Iranians I met in Kurdistan when celebrating Newroz were thrilled to bits that I knew about Mossadegh......
ebparsa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
ebparsa wrote:

Based on the experience of British and American travelers in Iran, you are reflecting a government position (and/or yours) and not the friendly citizens of Iran, most of which are too young to remember the '50s.

And there is actually significant demand for English teachers, BUT the government makes it very difficult, if not impossible, to get visas to stay. You won't find ads being run, but teacher friends traveling in Iran were offered jobs. They ran into some expat teachers who had taken short term positions. Not really a job opportunity in the normal TESOL sense.

VS

No, I am not reflecting the Government policy. The official position of the Iranian Government is very hostile towards the U.S. and very suspicious towards the English while Iranian people are very pro-American but even more suspicious towards the English.
I Agree with Scot47. Iranians are indeed friendly and hospitable but they vividly remember Operation Ajax and how the West destroyed democracy in Iran and in all fairness they do have a distorted, sometimes very exaggerated image of England. Basically, the English are portrayed as evil creatures that are capable of the most heinous acts in the Iranian psyche and they won't trust you.
In case you wonder, this image is not really the product of this regime. This image has taken over a century to shape due to Britain's involvement in Iran. Stealing Iranian oil, Operation Ajax, occupation of Iran in WWII at the hand of the British and Russians ( mind you, Iran was neutral in the war) and causing widespread famine in Iran during the war.

My advice is: if you're Scottish or Irish, make that known to Iranians because then they will really love you as they know how the Irish and the Scottish suffered at the hand of the English.

Also, Germans are really loved in Iran. They are seen as hard-working industrious people which in their mind is the opposite of the English.
Also, don't forget the Aryan connection as Iranians consider themselves as the real Aryan Nation. Not in a Nazi racist way, of course.

You're probably right when you say there is demand but that is mainly in the private sector namely language schools but you never get a Government job or a position in a university. As I stated earlier, Iran has its own multi-million diaspora that could always fill those positions, well... if they pass what they call the "ideological test" which is part of the recruiting process.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Ideological test Reply with quote

Quote:
if they pass what they call the "ideological test" which is part of the recruiting process.

So how many Iranian/Canadians or Iranian/Americans would pass the "ideological test"? The parents may have come over seeking amnesty. However, I suppose there are some who would pass the test.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been the victims of English imperialism the Iranians have insight !

Being Scottish did not help me in my attempts to get a visa
ebparsa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideological test Reply with quote

Gulezar wrote:
Quote:
if they pass what they call the "ideological test" which is part of the recruiting process.

So how many Iranian/Canadians or Iranian/Americans would pass the "ideological test"? The parents may have come over seeking amnesty. However, I suppose there are some who would pass the test.

Good point. I wish I had the answer but I don't.

I do know one thing though: whether it is difficult to get those jobs or not, it is probably not even worth applying for them anyways because they don't pay well.

Last edited by ebparsa on Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
ebparsa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Having been the victims of English imperialism the Iranians have insight !

Being Scottish did not help me in my attempts to get a visa

No doubt.
On a different note, I do wonder whether, as a Scotsman, you're required to have a vetted guide while exploring Iran because English and American citizens cannot roam the country freely. They need a chaperone as they are seen as potential spies.
Lord T

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that the working-class English people have over the centuries suffered as much as anyone at the hands of their ruling class, so go easy on the racism please:

Some,not all, English people were evil imperialists, as were some Scots and
some Persians, I believe.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: