Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Short term/summer job for experienced teacher
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoisinDubh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Some years ago I was offered a place teaching on summer school in Qiqihar in the PRC. Not huge sums of money - but I would have broken even. I suppose that is not what you are looking for !

Ideally I want to save up quite a bit of money. That would be my main goal this year.
RoisinDubh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
Would you be interested in a short-term gig in Beijing from February 13th to end June? Teaching EAP to undergrads. 25 per class. hours are 10-4.30 Mon-Thurs and 10-12.30 on Friday. Pay is 17,000 RMB pcm. Flights and visa covered but not aqccommodation except for the first few nights. Teaching load is 4.5 hours per day, 2.25 on Friday.

Not available in February, unfortunately!
GKD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the website (for pre-sessional jobs). Do you know the schedule the average pre-sessional job? What months are they i.e just July, or also August and September), and do they tend to supply accommodation?
Londonlover

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoisinDubh wrote:

The best place for pre-sessionals is the BALEAP website and the application period gets earlier and earlier each year. I would start looking as early as February. They are also getting more and more demanding regarding who they hire, which reflects the tough EAP/EFL market in the UK right now.

What this means is that they will be picky about specific qualifications, (especially the really good universities) and for the majority of unis nowadays, they will demand a DELTA or an MA Applied Linguistics/TESOL as a minimum, and experience of teaching at university level preferred. There has certainly been qualification inflation in EAP teaching over the last decade. The cowboy outfits, i.e. private companies, that run summer pre-sessionals for some universities as an outsourced scheme (like INTO, Kaplan etc) will probably be less strict with the qualifications they demand and the pay will be lousy - less than half of what they should be paying.
Jobs.ac.uk is another website that will post all the EAP summer pre-sessional adverts.
In a very few universities there is a 5 month pre-sessional April- September. Some run 3 month pre-sessionals June- September, but the vast majority run 2 month pre-sessionals July- September. The teacher is expected to commit to working the whole period.
It is unlikely that universities will provide free accommodation for pre-sessionals. They might provide accommodation in student halls but you would typically have to pay for it. I certainly had to pay a £100 a week in London for a pokey shoe box room in student halls 11 years ago, while doing a pre-sessional.
For summer camps teaching EFL to kids I believe they do provide free accommodation.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free accommodation at kid's camps is a double edged sword. You're usually expected to perform pastoral duties in the evenings if you're on site.
Londonlover

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
Free accommodation at kid's camps is a double edged sword. You're usually expected to perform pastoral duties in the evenings if you're on site.

I think that could depend on the individual summer school. I did 2 EFL teaching contracts with a teenagers' summer school (admittedly quite a while back) and they did not expect any evening duties at all from teachers, and I was living on-site.
RoisinDubh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GKD wrote:
Thanks for the website (for pre-sessional jobs). Do you know the schedule the average pre-sessional job? What months are they i.e just July, or also August and September), and do they tend to supply accommodation?

It totally depends on the uni. Some pre-sessionals are just 3-4 weeks, others are 7-8 weeks, some up to 12 weeks and a few are even longer than that. They can start any time between about early June and mid-August, depending on the length of the programme and the timetabling. Some of them do supply free accommodation, but I wouldn't be able to give you a percentage. Less than quarter I would say, but that's just an impression. Quite a few provide subsidised accommodation which is substantially cheaper than a short-term let outside the uni. Most of the London universities don't offer accommodation at all. Generally speaking, the more attractive the programme (in terms of pay and prestige), the fewer 'extras' they offer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: