Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Internet Reliability And Speeds?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimpellow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Internet Reliability And Speeds? Reply with quote

Hello,

I am coming back to Colombia next year and intend to keep teaching English online. My Internet when I was in Medellin was a stable 10mb down and 2Mb up which is about the baseline for what I feel is acceptable considering I use group class software too.

I enjoyed Medellin (or rather Envigado) but am considering another locale. Bogota is not what I am looking for, but wondering about Cali, Barranquilla and other locations.

Can anybody provide some feedback on how the Internet is going in terms of test speeds and reliability in cities outside of Medellin and Bogota?
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Cali, the internet speeds were fairly average to low. Quite frequently the internet would go down. But, I never bought a router myself so speeds in your own place may be higher. Best of luck.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

currentaffairs wrote:
In Cali, the internet speeds were fairly average to low. Quite frequently the internet would go down. But, I never bought a router myself so speeds in your own place may be higher. Best of luck.

Thank you for the response. How long ago were you there? Sometimes they increase quickly in these locales. I had left Merida, Mexico a year and a half back and the Internet was unreliable and slow. Now I am back for some months and getting 50-6 and reliable. Smile

There is a service called Speedify that works great to gain speed and reliability. You bind different service providers together. But you do have to procure the optimal three to do so. You can do the same if you have a Macbook. Opens up options. Still, being lazy, I just want to move to a city where I know my minimum requirements are easily met.

Cheers
The song

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in cali and my Internet has gone down once in 4 months. It worked when I restarted the rojter. The speed is advertised as 20mbps, but it's more like 12-15, which is still very fast to be fair.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The song wrote:
I'm in cali and my Internet has gone down once in 4 months. It worked when I restarted the rojter. The speed is advertised as 20mbps, but it's more like 12-15, which is still very fast to be fair.

Thank you! When you use speedtest.net, what is the upload speed?
The song

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked the internet speed and its actually 21.6 down and 3.3 up.

The upload speed might be considered low, I don't really know but the download is very fast.

The only issue I have is that my computer, I think has a processor that is somewhat prone to overheating which has been a big headache. I tried all sorts of things and nothing works very well. In fact the most effective solution seems to be putting an ice-pack on it.

I think the same companies service all of Colombia so you may get a similar service in a much cheaper place than Cali, if living somewhere else interests you.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your efforts. 3.3 upload speed is pretty solid. A lot of companies in developing nations will cap it at 1 or 2 so heavy uploading doesn't siphon bandwidth away from their network's download speeds, which is the more important for the vast majority of their customers.

You have given me options to explore, I can probably did deeper on a couple city expat boards. Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: