Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TATI
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chopin16

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: TATI Reply with quote

They wrote to me for an interview. Salary is 1385 OMR which breaks down as 250 OMR housing, 135 other allowance and 1000 basic salary. Is that all they pay??? Redbrick were offering 1900 OMR but there are no positions going until next year now he said.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like all the Gulf, salaries have tanked in Oman too.

VS
Chopin16

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a masters degree in English as well which makes it even worse. 1000OMR is £2000 in your pocket. You can make that in Korea if you get privates on top of the basic ESL wages paid. And you only need a bachelors there. It should be 2000OMR a month in your pocket to work with a masters in Oman. Still if people with masters are only too willing to go work there for a measily £2000 a month, then that's why they only pay that much I guess.
siologen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: re: years back.... Reply with quote

Quote:
They wrote to me for an interview. Salary is 1385 OMR which breaks down as 250 OMR housing, 135 other allowance and 1000 basic salary. Is that all they pay???

I only had a BA in a none ESL related subject when I was there, so yes, if this masters requirement is a new thing (?), then I think it is definitely a bad deal for those with an M.A., I still do not reckon they will offer 2,000 though, too many applicants from everywhere who will accept that salary and the cheap bills and living costs. It was the same package when I was last there a few years ago, cannot remember how much was allocated for housing but it was 1,385 OMR a month. Certainly possible to save a lot, esp. if in one of the inland places. But compared to some of the jobs with low salaries I am seeing in Saudi now, I think it was possible to save more in Oman, and still have a beer in a pub somewhere. OK, no pubs in Saudi so you could save by not drinking,but unless the living cost is lower and someone is 100 percent sure it is possible to save more,I cannot see the point on missing out on a beer here or there, but yes, things have gone bad everywhere, the stricter visa process also make it all much less worthwhile for Oman now as well Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by siologen on Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
madrileno

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The package you described is for the colleges of technology. All the recruiters pay about the same: 1400 OMR.

The red chair ad was for the military technology college in Muscat.

Different employers and institutions.
Chopin16

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know how much it is. I was just saying is that all they pay? And they ask for a masters degree or a BA in English with a TEFL/Post grad diploma or something. You can make 1000 OMR in your pocket in Korea with a few privates on top. Oman is a sand pit. Towns are tiny with nothing to do (I have been there once) and I wouldn't want to go there again unless I was paid more than 1000 OMR a month. 1500 in your pocket would be reasonable there. Is this red chair contract the only one paying 1900 then?
siologen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: re: indeed... Reply with quote

Quote:
You can make 1000 OMR in your pocket in Korea with a few privates on top. Oman is a sand pit. Towns are tiny with nothing to do (I have been there once) and I wouldn't want to go there again unless I was paid more than 1000 OMR a month. 1500 in your pocket would be reasonable there.

Indeed, but therein lies the rub. You do not have to do a few privates on top, and you can have the full weekend to sleep, study, tutor online, do a vlog, pop over to Dubai, have a few beers in Muscat, or whatever suits you. Oman may well be a sand pit, but I never experienced much racism there, although the taxis are a rip off and the lack of decent public transport is not good. From what I heard of Korea, from a canadian and irish bloke in Oman, and yes Oman seems to attract a lot of the ex south korea crowd, it is racist there and they actually hate foreigners, the canadian in particular told me he really hated it, would never go back. The 1,500 in your pocket will never happen, not saying you are wrong, but with the salaries dropping and desperate people from the West, there is no reason for the salaries to increase. You are better trying the UAE if you have a Masters, you will get something there I would wager, that would pay well, and with a bit more going on socially than Oman, perhaps?

Best of luck
Chopin16

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I DO teach online at the weekends Smile)))) However I have two complaints showing which I think is affecting my bookings atm (I drank a coke while teaching and got a complaint and I was 5 mins late to one lesson and got another complaint). I think I will try international schools in Oman and see what they pay instead then. Like I said, if masters degree holders are only too willing to go to Oman for 1000OMR then that's why it#s not 2000OMR or at least 1500 which is what it should be for university posts.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chopin16 wrote:
I think I will try international schools in Oman and see what they pay instead then.

You'll need a teaching license/qualification from your home country, related experience, and a degree relevant to the subject you teach.
Chopin16

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know I have all 3 of those. I still don't think that the schools offer much more in Oman though. Dubai yes but not sure about Oman
Chopin16

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI I have an interview with an international school where I am currently in Asia next week. This is for an EAL position. As far as I am aware, starting salaries could be around $45k but that was for another international school in the same city.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chopin16 wrote:
Yes I know I have all 3 of those. I still don't think that the schools offer much more in Oman though. Dubai yes but not sure about Oman

Then head to the UAE if money is your main objective. It has a big need for qualified k-12 English teachers because the country has the highest number of international schools.
siologen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: re: they are not Reply with quote

Quote:
Like I said, if masters degree holders are only too willing to go to Oman for 1000OMR

But they are not. Those with only a BA (like me) or even a fake BA in the past would, for that money. But now the fake BA route is no longer an option, like China, Oman insists on getting documents certified in your home country, so that rules out those who would try that way, this has actually happened in Oman! They want to make sure they are getting native speakers born in the country they say they are from, with a verifiable degree. Of course, someone with a masters degree will not accept 1,000 a month....but many others will, hence the salaries won't budge.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: re: they are not Reply with quote

siologen wrote:
But now the fake BA route is no longer an option, like China, Oman insists on getting documents certified in your home country, so that rules out those who would try that way, this has actually happened in Oman!

For my job in Oman that started in 1988 and the second one that started in 1999, both required a certification of documents. The first was SQU and the second was a private university. This was a Ministry requirement and is obviously nothing new for Oman.

VS
siologen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: re: BA Reply with quote

Did not need my docs verified in 2013. So I am a bit confused. That was for the colleges though (a college in Ibra), and not SQU.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: