Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I Can read

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
randrew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:06 am    Post subject: I Can read Reply with quote

Hello,

Just some info on ICR. I worked there for 4 years and I am not disgruntled so these are my honest thoughts.

First the company has changed owners so its more strict since I worked there. They now have a grammar test online that you need to take in order to go to the second interview It is 100 questions and timed 50 min. once you start you can not stop the test. This test must be taken seriously. It says on the website that its just to see what you know but that is bullshit. I was looking to return to work but didn't pass the grammar test, yea I know its just my area and I didnt think it mattered and my 4 years experience counted for something, but it didnt. They now have cameras in all the class rooms. You also need to teach the younger students which are 2.5 years old.

The job it self is easy, you have to work on weekends which I found ok since SG is jammed act on the weekends. There is little to know lesson planning you come in teach your class and leave. There is a few times you need to fill out forms on the students and there are parent teacher meeting. SG parents can be a pain but I found most friendly and helpful. SG is an expensive place to live the housing being your biggest expense. Check it out its not a bad place to hang for a year or two.
singaporehabib

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the update. Unfortunately, I have applied several times and tried contacting their head office but to no avail. I am certainly qualified and have taught for a number of years in addition to living in Singapore as a PR. I was only discussing this with my husband the other day as I find their non-response very odd. Oh well...
redblink14

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Recruiting issues with ICR? Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on the following:

Interviewed with ICR, took the grammar test. Heard back from the HR person "we'll get back in a few days." Wait a few days, no message, so I message them. Again, "oh, we're figuring out re-signings, we'll get back to you in a week." Wait a week, no word. Email again to see what's going on, no response.

It's been over three weeks since the initial interview, we've been in contact, no clear "we're not interested," but also no response. The job seems good, but should I even bother waiting for them any more at this point? Did I fail the grammar test and no one told me?
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give up on them if I were you. If they were interested, they'd have let you know by now. Sounds like they are stringing you along in case their preferred plan doesn't work out (keeping the teachers they have?).

I occasionally walk past an I Can Read and feel profoundly sorry for the teachers. There are significantly better places to work in Singapore than that, but you'll need to be in the country to find them.

In boca al lupo etc etc
singaporehabib

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you got an interview! Hahahaha. I can't even get a reply to all the CVs I've sent them, let alone a face to face interview.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: