Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadian institutions in Qatar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Now I know

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Canadian institutions in Qatar Reply with quote

I am leaving Qatar after several years teaching here. I am glad to be going.

In my time, I have seen good people treated disrespectfully, demeaned and subjected to horrible treatment by leadership. I have seen highly capable and successful people mobbed by jealous others. I have seen standards of behaviour that would never be accepted in Canada. Meanwhile, I have watched bullies be glorified.

I shall miss Qatar and the students, but I won't miss anything else.
SecretAgent69

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You obviously must have worked at College of the North Atlantic Qatar. The Dean and the Chair of the EFL department here are best friends. One hired the other. Then they fired competent people they didn't like for whatever stupid personal reason and hired their drinking buddies. Thin skinned, petty, vindictive individuals. They have the maturity level, attitude and behavior of high schoolers. Piss them off for whatever reason and you will lose your job. Culture of fear. Liars. Backstabbers. Cowards. Corrupt, backwater nepotists. The faculty watches their Ps and Qs, collects their checks and keeps their head down hoping the mad king and nasty queen don't lop theirs off next.
Now I know

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Not CNAQ Reply with quote

Hey Secret Agent

I didn't work at CNAQ, but know several really good people who worked there. It seems the issues of leadership at these Canadian institutions are pervasive and shameful.

For me, I am leaving with a very clear understanding of toxicity and bullying in education. I shall never allow myself to work in this kind of environment again.
SecretAgent69

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting and surprising. Before working at CNAQ, I had a really good opinion of Canadians in terms of responsibility, respect, work ethic, etc. However, after having worked here my rose colored glasses have faded somewhat, but I think that it has more to do with the Newfie culture which is notoriously corrupt, nepotistic and dysfunctional.

I dont blame you if you have chosen to leave education. It can be like never having left high school with all the gossip, backbiting, politics etc. that inevitably goes on when so many people are working in such close proximity day after day. Your behavior and speech also has to be heavily self-censored as an "educator". It does get tiring. Best of luck on your new path and bravo to you for recognizing it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: