Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding university positions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Finding university positions Reply with quote

How does one go about finding university positions in Istanbul? I currently work at a university in Istanbul, but I'm interested in knowing about better options and opportunities. I don't really see jobs advertised for the universities over here. For those working at universities now, is it normal to have 24 hours of teaching at the university level? It wasn't the norm at all in South Korea without overtime pay.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try TESOL.org and higheredjobs.com. If you're American and have a TEFL-related MA, take a look at the ELF program. Otherwise, visit each university's website to see if positions have been posted.
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Try TESOL.org and higheredjobs.com. If you're American and have a TEFL-related MA, take a look at the ELF program. Otherwise, visit each university's website to see if positions have been posted.

So typically the universities here don't post openings, it appears. I thought that that might be the case. I'll make a list and check it twice. Yes, I'm an American with an M.A. I'll try Turkey for a while longer and then consider leaving for another country that pays more and is more stable.

Thanks for your response.
Nebbich

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Universities Reply with quote

All Turkish universities, both State and Private, post all vacancies here:

https://yoksis.yok.gov.tr/ilansayfa/

I understand this is necessary because, after all, YOK have to authorise all hirings.

However, it does seem that some private unis do bypass the YOK system...I'd just approach each Hazirlik head directly with a blanket email.
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Universities Reply with quote

Nebbich wrote:

I understand this is necessary because, after all, YOK have to authorise all hirings.

However, it does seem that some private unis do bypass the YOK system...I'd just approach each Hazirlik head directly with a blanket email.

Oh, thanks for the link. Which universities are known to be good in terms of teaching hours, management etc... ? I am shopping around. I will check that link you sent tomorrow.
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Universities Reply with quote

[quote="JohnRambo"]
Nebbich wrote:

Oh, thanks for the link. Which universities are known to be good in terms of teaching hours, management etc... ? I am shopping around. I will check that link you sent tomorrow. I just sent out my first e-mail. I'll be sending a few more next week. If anyone knows of any worthwhile institutions that I should approach, I'd be grateful. I am already grateful for the replies.
Lev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and those looking for foreign hires especially may skip the YOK system. I'd agree that mailing HoDs directly may be the most efficient way. As for which would be worthwhile approaching, that would kind of depend on your qualifications/ experience/ expectations...
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lev wrote:
Yeah, and those looking for foreign hires especially may skip the YOK system. I'd agree that mailing HoDs directly may be the most efficient way. As for which would be worthwhile approaching, that would kind of depend on your qualifications/ experience/ expectations...

I have e-mailed a few universities and went to their websites. Which universities have the best reputations among ESL instructors? I have an M.A. in TESOL and several years of experience, and my Turkish is pretty decent.

Last edited by JohnRambo on Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
danmbob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump it up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: