Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sevilla or Prague First Timer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CW34

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:20 am    Post subject: Sevilla or Prague First Timer? Reply with quote

Hi:

So I am planning on taking a Celta Course in the late spring/early summer of 2017 and I'm curious which location in Europe would be best for an American newbie looking for his first TESL job(s). I have dual citizenship with Ireland. I am debating between Sevilla, Spain and Prague, CR. I know they are two very different cultures but both interest me for different reasons. Does anyone have an opinion on which would be best for a first time TESL teacher with out any experience?

Thank You,
Chris
Knedliki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend finding a good school first regardless of the location. Somewhere that's going to support you and develop your skills.
There's a lot of sketchy private schools across Europe, looking for a newbie to exploit.
SammytheSlug

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knedliki wrote:
I'd recommend finding a good school first regardless of the location. Somewhere that's going to support you and develop your skills.
There's a lot of sketchy private schools across Europe, looking for a newbie to exploit.

Is the right answer.

Your first job can frame a lot about your career as a teacher. Find a place that offers development and support to new teachers. It'll get you over the initial period and set you up for the future.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, where are you taking your CELTA? Taking a course in the country where you want to start teaching can be a useful tactic to help you find a good school to work in later (and offers many other benefits). Training centers know the local schools and can help put you in contact with good ones. It's also helpful to have experience teaching the local students, and walking around with your CV in person is far more likely to get you a good job than any distance tactics in this region.

I'm not speaking of the occasional 'job placement' promises made by some training centres. You will of course be responsible for following through with normal job search procedures like taking around your CV, interviewing and possibly teaching a demo lesson, and negotiating schedules and contracts.

On another note, your proposed timing is bad for Western and Central Europe. Most job contracts run Sept/Oct through June and it's very difficult to find work over the summer. If you can afford to hang around without a paycheque, then you can enjoy the summer; otherwise, aim for a course in August so that you can start your job search immediately afterwards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: