Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding an apartment in Spain

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DosEquisX

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Finding an apartment in Spain Reply with quote

I would only be looking for a bedroom in a shared apartment.

My concern is while my Spanish is competent for some basic situations, I am not sure I have enough Spanish speaking skills to do all this myself. Are there any employers who will provide some assistance in this area so you can get settled down easier?
Sionnach

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some employers do make these arrangements, but from talking to my friends in Madrid it seems they more often take care of it when it's a whole flat. Do you know who you'll be working for once you arrive in Spain?

Depending on what you're looking for, there are many English-speakers listing accommodations on Craig's List. Often these people seem to be other ESL instructors or people who deal with Erasmus students.

If you read Spanish well you could also check out Segundo Mano: http://www.segundamano.es/

They have tons of listings. Negotiating the terms once you've viewed the flat could be a bit more difficult though... However, if you're just renting a room, there's a lot less to negotiate as utilities and internet are already set up.

Good luck!
Sublime

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's loads of rooms, flatshares etc. It's super facil. Amongst others I've found places without deposits and also places where you can pay weekly etc. If you look hard enough you can find what you want. Basic Spanish should be sufficient - and some may even speak English.

You could also check www.easypiso.com, www.fotocasa.es and www.loquo.com.

I'd also try negotiating the price. I've found that often 'landlords' will try and put the price up if they see you're a (rich) foreigner. So check the local market prices so you don't get duped. As always I'd stay away from agencies as they are usually more expensive and some ask for 2 months deposit as well as a months rent in advance.

Thing is, don't be afraid to go there with no accommodation, you could just stay in a hostel or whatever for a day or 2 and you'll easy find a place whilst you're there - especially if you put an advert on those websites right now.

Suerte!
SirKirby

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, on the sites suggested, there are quite a lot of scams, designed for the unsuspected foreigner. If it's in English and is cheaper than the going rate and accompanied by too-good-to-be-true photos, it's a scam.

If you're just looking for a flat-share, that shouldn't be so much of a problem, however.
RabbitWho

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

easypiso is terrible, you don't realize until too late you have to pay for everything.

mundoanuncios and loquo are the two best places

normally employers will help you with some of this, you find the apartment with the help of google translator and they'll ring them up, but you have to go look at it yourself because that's a lot more effort.

you could always be cheeky and try to find an intercambio partner before ever going to spain, then roping that person in to come with you when you go see the apartment in exchange for a coffee and English practice.
IrvaIva

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some owners rent their apartments until selling, it is cheaper than rent-oriented real estate. You may find many of them here https://tranio.com/spain/.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: