Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

English Centre Locri

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lisaktate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: English Centre Locri Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I've just been offered a job at English Centre in Locri, Calabria to begin 1st October and finish 31st May. It looks great from the website and their fb page. I will be getting 700Eur the first month, 800 the 2nd, then 900 and 1000 for each month after. I know the cost of living in the south is low so i think 1000 is great and accommodation is rent free, I just pay electricity and gas. It seems like a great package but there is part of me thinking it seems too good to be true compared to the measly packages offered by other schools in Italy. Does anyone know anything about this school, or have any experience? I would love to hear any feedback from any of you who have even worked in the south of Italy before and might have some advice?? Thanks!
travel_wise

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: English Centre Locri Reply with quote

I worked at the EC in Locri not long ago. If you need any more information or if you have any questions please send me a message. Ciao...
Spelunker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: re: PM possible? Reply with quote

Can I pm someone about this, or can they pm me? Got a few questions about Locri.
GonnaBe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject: careful that it's truly the school Reply with quote

A woman I know thought she was dealing with a school that actually does exist and has a good reputation. But turns out someone else was using their name. Just DON'T give out any personal info and especially not credit card, bank account type info, don't cash checks or send back a small amount of a larger check they send you, or any of those wonderful scams that are around these days.... Best of luck Would love to hear if it's real or a scam...
Spelunker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: re: i had a bad experience with them.... Reply with quote

but am reluctant to divulge more publically. By PM if you are polite and I feel you can be trusted, I will tell all.
berries

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: re: i had a bad experience with them.... Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:
but am reluctant to divulge more publically. By PM if you are polite and I feel you can be trusted, I will tell all.

Hi
I sent you a PM. I was about to accept a position here and would like to hear your thoughts

Thanks
danshengou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: re: i had a bad experience with them.... Reply with quote

The deal sure sounds measly to me, unless it's for a part-time gig while retired, or for a newbie looking to fund a bit of travel around Italy. Otherwise, it would likely be a bad game plan.
misssapphire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Ec - Locri Reply with quote

I am also in discussion with the school to be interviewed ASAP to start within a week! 1000 a month, free small flat (have to pay gas and electric). 25 hours a week. Contract was sent over - no privates or any other work allowed.

Love to hear from others who are/were at this school
danshengou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ec - Locri Reply with quote

misssapphire wrote:
I am also in discussion with the school to be interviewed ASAP to start within a week! 1000 a month, free small flat (have to pay gas and electric). 25 hours a week. Contract was sent over - no privates or any other work allowed.

Love to hear from others who are/were at this school

Do you mind being a slave? It sounds like you don't.
misssapphire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Locri Reply with quote

So I am speaking to the DOS tonight. I have 3 years experience with most ages and levels including exam prep. 1000 a month too low even with a free flat? I suppose it is only 10 euro an hour before deductions! What salary should I expect? Spain was similar without accommodation. Has anybody worked there that can share their experience please?
danshengou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Locri Reply with quote

misssapphire wrote:
So I am speaking to the DOS tonight. I have 3 years experience with most ages and levels including exam prep. 1000 a month too low even with a free flat? I suppose it is only 10 euro an hour before deductions! What salary should I expect? Spain was similar without accommodation. Has anybody worked there that can share their experience please?

For that load at least 1500/mo + the housing. But 1000 is low-ball, and you don't even know how much the flat is worth; it could be lousy. The world was built on the backs of cheap labor. Don't let it be you!
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Locri Reply with quote

danshengou wrote:

For that load at least 1500/mo + the housing. But 1000 is low-ball, and you don't even know how much the flat is worth; it could be lousy. The world was built on the backs of cheap labor. Don't let it be you!

Unless things have changed for the better in the last few years (doubtful,) his offer is par for the course for much of southern Italy. 1500 plus housing isn't happening in Calabria unless things have really improved recently, and it is my understanding that they haven't. But perhaps someone with more current experience in the country will chime in to confirm. Or not. Smile

danshengou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Locri Reply with quote

AGoodStory wrote:
danshengou wrote:

Unless things have changed for the better in the last few years (doubtful,) his offer is par for the course for much of southern Italy. 1500 plus housing isn't happening in Calabria unless things have really improved recently, and it is my understanding that they haven't. But perhaps someone with more current experience in the country will chime in to confirm. Or not. Smile

If that's the case, then he's got to negotiate the workload, say 15 hours (max 20) instead of 25.
siologen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: re: anyone wants to know more, send a PM Reply with quote

I have had some direct one on one contact with the manager/owner of this outfit, PM me for more, overall I would say avoid, it is too low paid, and Italy is expensive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: