Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Timer Jobs in the Middle East?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaylondre

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the advice, certainly something to think about.

Nomad Soul, I did not want to give out too much personal information about myself on an online forum (hence no nationality etc.), but for the record, yes I am a native English speaker. However, my accent can be a little heavy for some non-native speakers to understand at times because its not American/British and so I was just wondering if that would impact on my job prospects overall?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reblair79 wrote:
As a newbie who is excited about opportunities to travel and immerse myself in different cultures while helping people learn English, it would be nice to hear a few positive stories from folk. I'd like to think not everyone has had such a negative experience teaching English.

As with any profession, personal happiness/success is subjective; the things or situations that motivate and interest you can certainly be perceived as "meh" by others. You have to be realistic (i.e., honest with yourself) about TEFL trends and immigration regulations. For example, you were quite disappointed to find out your Open University BA wouldn't be accepted in the Mid East. Additionally, TEFL salaries worldwide are generally stagnant or declining, which doesn't bode well for job seekers focused solely on money. The market and demand are changing in certain regions and impacting prospective and current teachers' plans.

That said, obviously teachers with strong and/or specialized qualifications have more and better opportunities to choose from. Something to keep in mind as you consider your plans in the next 5+ years.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaylondre wrote:
I am a native English speaker. However, my accent can be a little heavy for some non-native speakers to understand at times because its not American/British and so I was just wondering if that would impact on my job prospects overall?

It's unclear what you mean by a heavy accent that's neither American nor British since you state you're a native speaker from, I assume, an English-speaking country. Best to pose your question to your CELTA/TEFL course provider and others who have actually heard you speak.

Last edited by nomad soul on Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
santi84

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

reblair79 wrote:
dragonpiwo wrote:

As a TEFLer, you'll be treated like dog crap, have stepping stone jobs and generally regret it as soon as ral life begins ie wife/kids/mortgage/school fees/illness.

Don't do it.

I make $100,000 without an MA in TEFL. Don't throw your dosh away. Follow Hod's advice to the letter.

As a newbie who is excited about opportunities to travel and immerse myself in different cultures while helping people learn English, it would be nice to hear a few positive stories from folk. I'd like to think not everyone has had such a negative experience teaching English as the above person.

There's a bit of realism that needs to be said, though. Long, long, long ago are the days where you could waltz into the ME without related higher qualifications and expect money. I have many students from ME countries and they come with high expectations because they have good educational systems back home; there are no rewards for generic degrees and an ability to speak English, it's just not a commodity that some westerners seem to think it is. So, plan accordingly.
Hod

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
It's unclear what you mean by a heavy accent that's neither American nor British since you state you're a native speaker.

So native English speakers only hail from the USA or UK? Anyone from New Zealand, Australia or South Africa need not apply I guess.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:
So native English speakers only hail from the USA or UK? Anyone from New Zealand, Australia or South Africa need not apply I guess.

Apply where? The OP asked if his heavy accent will be an issue yet doesn't mention his nationality. I assume he's from an Anglophone country but it's pointless to guess which one. Regardless, those who hear him speak can determine if his accent is a hindrance in terms of his target countries.
Ferto

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...

There seems to be a real debate going on here.

Law versus TEFL.

Well, on the surface, I would definitely agree that law should be the one with the future. And, yes, obviously, there is a large number of really poorly paid jobs in TESL/TEFL.

That wasn't my point at all.

If I got it straight, the OP is asking about working in TEFL overseas, even though they will have a BA/LLB. Why?

Unless I misunderstood, they went into law out of interest with hope, but recognize that the job prospects are questionable, or they simply want a detour.

I stand by doing an MA in TESOL or Applied Linguistics, or equivalent (on site) to give to you maximum flexibility later.

The law degree will never hurt you and may even play in well later.

Stay light, invest in your education, and watch the horizon for the opportunities.
Hod

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, but replace law with engineering, accountancy or even hairdressing. These are examples of jobs you can do for a few years and be set up for life. Sure go into TEFL, but I know from experience it's a much better job if you choose to teach rather than have to because there's nothing else you can do.
jaylondre

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,
thanks for the advice. Just to clarify something, I am not really looking for career advice on whether or not I should do TEFL or practice law (though I appreciate the input nonetheless), as I have my own ideas on what I want to get out of my working life, I only included that I was doing an LLB because I wanted to know if it might help in getting a job (ie. shows a deeper understanding of English etc.).

As a variation on a theme, what would the TEFL market be like in Arab/Francophone northern Africa? I notice from the Africa forums that Nomad Soul and the contributor with the bulldog avatar (my apologies for forgetting your name) have written about this region to some extent (though admittedly I have only had a cursory glance at these pages in between studying for my exams). Are there places/institutions that contributors to this site would particularly recommend for first timers/are there any areas to look out for?

Thank you all for your help so far, I appreciate it.
santi84

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaylondre wrote:
Hi All,
thanks for the advice. Just to clarify something, I am not really looking for career advice on whether or not I should do TEFL or practice law (though I appreciate the input nonetheless), as I have my own ideas on what I want to get out of my working life, I only included that I was doing an LLB because I wanted to know if it might help in getting a job (ie. shows a deeper understanding of English etc.).

As a variation on a theme, what would the TEFL market be like in Arab/Francophone northern Africa? I notice from the Africa forums that Nomad Soul and the contributor with the bulldog avatar (my apologies for forgetting your name) have written about this region to some extent (though admittedly I have only had a cursory glance at these pages in between studying for my exams). Are there places/institutions that contributors to this site would particularly recommend for first timers/are there any areas to look out for?

Thank you all for your help so far, I appreciate it.

There are still openings in Egypt but I wouldn't recommend it at this time, it's just too unstable. I suppose the same could be said for other region areas (and a huge no to a few of them). Sorry to be discouraging, I liked the region but it's just been rough lately. As a first timer, don't let excitement distract you from safety.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaylondre wrote:

Try the American Language Center in Rabat, Morocco. They possibly hire new teachers. AMIDEAST often has openings throughout the MENA; however, some country offices tend to target locals and not applicants from abroad. You'd have to check for qualifications --- whether they take on newbies. Either way, these positions don't equate to strong savings, if that's important to you.
jaylondre

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips santi84 and Nomad Soul. It's probably already clear from my earlier posts, but just to clarify I'm not an American, so would institutions like AMIDEAST and the American school in Rabat which you spoke about still consider hiring me?

Also, I have read some disparaging things on other sites about the way AMIDEAST treats teachers, is there any truth to this? Additionally, I heard from my university's head of Arabic teaching that AMIDEAST's operation in a certain gulf country was even investigated by the government there and subsequently shutdown.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaylondre wrote:
Thanks for the tips santi84 and Nomad Soul. It's probably already clear from my earlier posts, but just to clarify I'm not an American, so would institutions like AMIDEAST and the American school in Rabat which you spoke about still consider hiring me?

Put your research skills to work and go on AMIDEAST's and ALC's websites for openings to see if you even meet their qualifications. If you're not sure, email them. (Besides, I don't know what your nationality is. Confused)

and jaylondre wrote:
Also, I have read some disparaging things on other sites about the way AMIDEAST treats teachers, is there any truth to this? Additionally, I heard from my university's head of Arabic teaching that AMIDEAST's operation in a certain gulf country was even investigated by the government there and subsequently shutdown.

Each AMIDEAST country office has its own work culture and leadership; some are better than others. Plus, pay and benefits vary from country to country. If you find that you qualify for an opening, be sure to check that location to see if it has a sketchy history. That said, you should wait until you have your CELTA/equivalent TEFL cert in hand before applying for positions, especially since you lack teaching experience.
jaylondre

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: (Besides, I don't know what your nationality is. Confused) Reply with quote

Sorry Nomad Soul I know it might be frustrating that I didn't give my nationality, it is just that as I have said I don't want to give to much personal information out on a forum. Thank you nonetheless for your advice.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaylondre wrote:
Sorry Nomad Soul I know it might be frustrating that I didn't give my nationality, it is just that as I have said I don't want to give to much personal information out on a forum. Thank you nonetheless for your advice.

Ma fi mushkila. Just have realistic expectations. In other words, you may not be able to get work in your desired countries/regions until you gain a year or two of experience elsewhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: