Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Timer Jobs in the Middle East?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vishal7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
I'm with Hod on this. Ferto, please don't ever get a job advising people. The MA TESOL etc might...might get you a job which pays $70,000/ year. As a lawyer, you'll earn way more than that, be safe in your old age and be well regarded and treated as such.

As a TEFLer, you'll be treated like dog crap, have stepping stone jobs and generally regret it as soon as ral life begins ie wife/kids/mortgage/school fees/illness.

Don't do it.

I make $100,000 without an MA in TEFL. Don't throw your dosh away. Follow Hod's advice to the letter.

OMG... $ 100,000 without an MA.. your career story can inspire many. Why not share it with all?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vishal7 wrote:
dragonpiwo wrote:
I make $100,000 without an MA in TEFL.

OMG... $ 100,000 without an MA.. your career story can inspire many. Why not share it with all?

Dragonpiwo's post gives newbies the wrong impression. For starters, he has about 20 years' experience mainly as an EL trainer in the oil industry. He also never mentions that he has to pay for housing out of that salary -- rents aren't cheap in Abu Dhabi. Moreover, his job is in jeopardy of being cut due to the current slump in the oil market.

Newbies need to have realistic expectations about TEFL; supply and demand, politics, natural disasters, tightened immigration rules, etc., can/do impact this industry.
vishal7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
vishal7 wrote:
dragonpiwo wrote:
I make $100,000 without an MA in TEFL.

Dragonpiwo's post gives newbies the wrong impression. For starters, he has about 20 years' experience mainly as an EL trainer in the oil industry. He also never mentions that he has to pay for housing out of that salary -- rents aren't cheap in Abu Dhabi. Moreover, his job is in jeopardy of being cut due to the current slump in the oil market.

Newbies need to have realistic expectations about TEFL; supply and demand, politics, natural disasters, tightened immigration rules, etc., can/do impact this industry.

I must agree.. but I was not carried away just by the figures.. I was expecting very strong credentials behind these.. I would really appreciate if someone could help gauging this field's potentials. I mean a compensation range for newbies (P.S. as this post is for Newbies ) Wink ... Maybe taking ESL as a part time thing can really help at first.. its again the more experienced mates that could shed some light.. i am really keen in doing this online.. many companies are paying 25-40 USD per class to teachers for online coaching.. the figures look promising..
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vishal7 wrote:
I would really appreciate if someone could help gauging this field's potentials. I mean a compensation range for newbies (P.S. as this post is for Newbies ) Wink ... Maybe taking ESL as a part time thing can really help at first.. its again the more experienced mates that could shed some light.. i am really keen in doing this online.. many companies are paying 25-40 USD per class to teachers for online coaching.. the figures look promising..

Rather than piggy-backing onto this thread, I suggest you start your own dedicated newbie thread specific to your particular background/education, nationality, TEFL training, teaching interests, etc. That way, responders can better address your questions/concerns.
reblair79

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:
It's not meant to be negative at all. I'd recommend TEFL to everyone. It's just that TEFL can be taken up at any time of life whereas this won't the case with law. To keep both options open, I say law first and TEFL later.

If I recall, you were in the Royal Navy? I don't know what your trade was, but isn't that something to fall back on? TEFL can have big downsides such as money and burnout, and it is so important to be able to do something else if need be.

If a school leaver or new graduate asked you about the RN or TEFLing, would you really tell them to go TEFLing? You need to bear in mind upper age limits for the RN, and I'm pretty sure this applies to new law jobs.

Hi Hod, fair enough. I can see the point you are making.

P.s. I was mine warfare in the RN so it's not really a skill I could fall back on elsewhere.
reblair79

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
reblair79 wrote:
As a newbie who is excited about opportunities to travel and immerse myself in different cultures while helping people learn English, it would be nice to hear a few positive stories from folk. I'd like to think not everyone has had such a negative experience teaching English.

As with any profession, personal happiness/success is subjective; the things or situations that motivate and interest you can certainly be perceived as "meh" by others. You have to be realistic (i.e., honest with yourself) about TEFL trends and immigration regulations. For example, you were quite disappointed to find out your Open University BA wouldn't be accepted in the Mid East. Additionally, TEFL salaries worldwide are generally stagnant or declining, which doesn't bode well for job seekers focused solely on money. The market and demand are changing in certain regions and impacting prospective and current teachers' plans.

That said, obviously teachers with strong and/or specialized qualifications have more and better opportunities to choose from. Something to keep in mind as you consider your plans in the next 5+ years.

Good points Nomad.
jaylondre

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Hi all,
just in case somebody in a similar situation to what I was a few months back reads this post in the future, I thought that I would give a bit of an update as to how things went for me.

I have decided to pursue law for the time being (thank you to everyone on this forum for the career advice).

I did, however, complete a CELTA part-time while concurrently studying in the final semester of my LLB full-time. It certainly was not easy (actually there were times when it very difficult), but I managed to complete both courses (well technically I am still waiting on final results from both, but I assume that things will be OK javascript:emoticon('Laughing')).

I would also certainly recommend CELTA to anyone debating doing it. There are many tangents between the course and a law degree (such as presenting and thinking on your feet etc.), but at the same time, it is obviously different enough to provide a welcome interlude to what can otherwise be, an at times, very arduous degree.

So in summary, yes the LLB(FT)/CELTA(PT) combination can be done, but don't expect it to be easy.

Hope this helps someone.

Best wishes. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: