Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vietnam Working Requirements 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
reblair79

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found the visa notarisation/authentication information extremely confusing. I fly out late August to start my new teaching job and I am just taking my original documents with me to get notarised and authenticated (BA, CELTA, Disclosure Scotland criminal check). I don't even know if notarised and authenticated mean the same thing! So confusing, I consider myself relatively switched on but I find the plethora of information on the government site difficult to be sure I am doing things correct. It's quite stressful actually!
skarper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could certainly make it simpler if they wanted to. Makes me suspect they want it complicated and opaque.
SeldomSeen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reblair79 wrote:
I've found the visa notarisation/authentication information extremely confusing. I fly out late August to start my new teaching job and I am just taking my original documents with me to get notarised and authenticated (BA, CELTA, Disclosure Scotland criminal check). I don't even know if notarised and authenticated mean the same thing! So confusing, I consider myself relatively switched on but I find the plethora of information on the government site difficult to be sure I am doing things correct. It's quite stressful actually!

They are the same thing. The good thing is that your CELTA (issued by Cambridge) and Disclosure Scotland (also [for now!] part of the UK) can be notarised by the British consulate in HCMC or the embassy in Hanoi. Assuming your BA is from a British university then they can do that too. You will need to book three 'slots' on their notarisation service (you can book an appointment on the web). It'll cost around $50 per document but is a straightforward process and is done while you wait (but you have to book an appointment - or in your case three consecutive ones). You might want to book an appointment now as their slots are limited and can get filled quickly.
TRH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reblair79 wrote:
I've found the visa notarisation/authentication information extremely confusing.
SeldomSeen wrote:
They are the same thing.
Not exactly. Notarization is a certification by a licensed or governmental person (UK consulate in your case) that the person who signed the document ond/or accompanying statement is who he/she says they are. It does not verify the underlying document. Authentication is a certification that the authenticating government (Vietnam in this case) accepts the underlying document as valid.
reblair79

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, Yes this makes sense. I think I'm on the right track then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: