Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

St Petersburg schools

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maw

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:48 am    Post subject: St Petersburg schools Reply with quote

Hi....Im just about to start applying for teaching work in St Petersburg. Can anyone recommend some good places to start with? I'm from New Zealand and have CELTA with around 9 years teaching experience.
Thank you for any advice.
Spasibo

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a degree? There's another post with a guy with a CELTA, no degree and having alot of trouble trying to find work in Russia.

Basically if you don't have one it will make things MUCH more difficult. Regardless of your experience. The schools when issuing work visas need to show the applicant is well qualified. what countries have you taught in?
maw

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. No I don't have a degree unfortunately but have taught in Universities here in New Zealand. As there seems to be no mention of University degrees for the application process on the job vacancy requirements I'm hoping they may look at teaching experience and references. Can you recommend any schools?
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As there seems to be no mention of University degrees for the application process on the job vacancy requirements I'm hoping they may look at teaching experience and references.

They are assuming that candidates will have a degree - it's needed for the visa application.

I don't work in Russia full-time, but I run a program there annually and am thus at least marginally familiar with the requirements to get a work visa - I have to reapply each year.
maw

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh no!!!..Disappointing to hear..thanks so much for the info. I had better not get my hopes up too high...yes I see what you mean on a work visa situation.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless, teaching at an Anglophone university without a degree might be a tough one for prospective Russian employers to comprehend.
maw

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping that will stand me in a good light!! I worked on an advanced programme there..Just wish I had studied for the degree when they offered me the opportunity.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maw wrote:
I don't have a degree unfortunately but have taught in Universities here in New Zealand.
Just wish I had studied for the degree when they offered me the opportunity.

That's a question prospective employers will wonder and possibly ask if you're able to get an interview. Confused

What was the extent of your teaching experience in NZ universities and who were your students?
maw

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly international students that had degrees/masters from their own countries but needed to improve their Academic English levels to get into the University and proceed with their studies
perdidogringo

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maw- that's amazing that you were able to teach in a university without having a degree yourself. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone else teaching university level without minimum a Bachelor's Degree and usually a Master's or PhD.
maw

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes incredibly lucky...it was in 2013 and I'm sure it wouldnt be possible anymore. I was just lucky they needed someone and i had great references...and now i have a great reference from them!!! I have an interview today with language link in St Petersburg...so will see how it goes.
perdidogringo

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!
09Turner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!
twowheel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!
maw

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good luck wishes everyone!!
Interview seemed to go well and I got through the first two stages.. now just waiting to hear back re a contract..seems to be taking a while..so that could be a good or bad sign!!??
Will let you know the outcome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: