Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is $50,000 including all benefits OK to live well in Russia?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AV15

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Is $50,000 including all benefits OK to live well in Russia? Reply with quote

Hello,

I've got a job at one of the international schools in Russia (Moscow), starting September 2017. I've been offered $50,000 before tax. This figure includes the flight and accomodation allowances. I have a PGCE and one years experience post-qualification in a UK state school.

Is this OK to live well in Moscow? It's a significant amount more than I'm on in the UK but I don't know about cost of living in Russia. How much should I expect to pay for rent in the capital city?
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you on your own or with dependents? That will make some considerable difference, as will your definition of 'living well.'

However, unless you're significantly burdened with non-earning family members, I'm inclined to think this is a very reasonable salary for a newly qualified teacher with just one year of experience.
AV15

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on my own, and male, if it makes a difference.

It's a significant amount more than I make in the UK, where I'm currently on the M1 pay bracket. But extra money needs to be considered relative to cost of living and I've never been to Russia before. Rent is my biggest concern since other outgoings can be controlled easier. How much is it to rent in Moscow? If I lived in London there's no way I could afford to rent anything there...is the Moscow rental market any better?
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How much is it to rent in Moscow?

It varies considerably Wink
Your after-tax pay will matter quite a lot as well.

I suggest you make some inquiry at the school regarding take-home monthly pay and if they can put you in touch with someone who will assist you to organize accommodation, whether that is a school staff member or an outside agent. You're going to need someone with fluent Russian to walk you through the process of signing rental and services provision contracts anyway.
AV15

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

School say the tax is 13%, so that'd make my take home approx $43,500 a year. They can help with regard to landlords when it comes to providing a translator, but you get put in a hotel for a couple of weeks at the start of the contract and it's up to you to find a place that suits.

To narrow it down a bit...what would be the cost of renting a 1 bedroom studio apartment about 20-30 mins by metro from the centre of town, in an area where I don't have to worry excessively about crime? I don't need to be right in the centre but a reasonable distance is essential for stuff like weekend entertainment.
Vasey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the internet with extreme caution when you are there.Bear in mind that all of your internet browsing history/messages on Vkontakte goes straight to the FSB via SORM2.
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are alone, then it should be ok. You won't be living large, but $50K should be enough to pay rent, have a social life, and perhaps save a few bucks. It is a decent step into the country, and other opportunities will probably present themselves, should you stick around.
Best of luck!
danshengou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpvanderwerf2001 wrote:
If you are alone, then it should be ok. You won't be living large, but $50K should be enough to pay rent, have a social life, and perhaps save a few bucks. It is a decent step into the country, and other opportunities will probably present themselves, should you stick around.
Best of luck!

This sounds about right. Assuming you are somewhat frugal, savings of $500-1000 a month should be doable. And if you can pick up a side job here or there, even better.
maruss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Interesting questions.. Reply with quote

Russian friends tell me that you can find a reasonable one-room studio for around 20-30.000 roubles per month nowadays if it's not in the expensive central area -a lot depends on the landlord liking you as a tenant!Unless you speak Russian well and have Russian friends to help you, though, finding one is going to be the problem!Also bear in mind what area it is and how far from the metro, local shops and other facilities you will have to walk- or maybe even get a bus?Also how far from work is it?Unless you have experienced Moscow living it is very hard to understand the importance of these criteria!
Another point is that the greener and quieter the area, the more desirable it usually is, even more so if transport links and facilities are good- there are some very depressing and grungy suburbs in Moscow and most of it consists of high-rise blocks which are characterless.But do bear in mind that the city is very overcrowded, polluted, noisy and stressful to live in and it can wear you out very fast!Essentials tend to be expensive in comparison to wages and good quality stuff even more so- mind you, having said that, I saw plenty of crap areas in London when I was over there a couple of months ago, Harlesden coming to mind as one of them!Rents are also appalling, as you know and forget buying a flat,unless you are an oligarch!
maruss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: $ or roubles? Reply with quote

You wrote $50 000 per year or did you mean 50.000 roubles PER MONTH SALARY??
IF it's the former then you are on to a good deal-$4000 per month is serious money, especially nowadays, with the rate for the rouble being as low as it is?
But many Russian private firms offer 40-50.000 roubles per MONTH salAry for teaching jobs
and a room in a shared flat etc.
mitsui

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BKC-IH says they pay 40,000-50,000 per month.
Is it realistic to get that pay or does it depend on the amount of classes?
maruss

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: How much at BKC> Reply with quote

You will most probably get that as it's a minimum salary at a 'mac School' for an expat teacher and if you are new then they will try to ensure that you earn it by making you work split-shifts in spread-out locations etc!Unless you are a glutton for punishment don't take it!
mitsui

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes well I talked to a Russian from Yekaterinburg who said teachers could make lots of money in Moscow, especially in private tutoring. I have a wife and bills to pay, so I will look elsewhere, like in the Gulf or east Asia.
maruss

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Lots of money in Moscow? Reply with quote

As we have often said on this site before, people who make that have usually been established there for some time and have private lessons with either individuals or companies on a freelance basis.Very rarely can you just arrive and set yourself up like this, the only exception being if you are lucky enough to get a job with one of the prestige international schools who do often pay very well.In return they expect the best and can afford to be very choosy about who they employ!
Also do not overlook the hassle of getting a work visa and finding accomodation etc. if you go independently.
sauditeacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: $ or roubles? Reply with quote

maruss wrote:
You wrote $50 000 per year or did you mean 50.000 roubles PER MONTH SALARY??
IF it's the former then you are on to a good deal-$4000 per month is serious money, especially nowadays, with the rate for the rouble being as low as it is?
But many Russian private firms offer 40-50.000 roubles per MONTH salAry for teaching jobs
and a room in a shared flat etc.

Good question: I'm amazed that ESL teachers, who need deal in subtleties, are often not more precise about currency issues. If its roubles, as one would expect it to be for a job in Russia, say so - don't put $.

Amazing the lack of precision.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: