Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Governor/Governess - what is it like?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
descartes123

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Governor/Governess - what is it like? Reply with quote

I am just curious to find out what it is like to be a governor or governess. The salaries often seem too good to be true. Quite ridiculous at times. Are they for real?

I also expect that this kind of work demands loads of qualifications and experience?
elkotik

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It IS a lot of hard work. Russians expect blood for the money they pay, particularly the elite. Each family is different and can work well depending on your circumstances.

I know 1 girl who got fired from 1 family because she didn't shut up when the 7 year old boy told her to. Russians can be fickle like that...

Never underestimate the workload!
Spasibo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the salaries are real. But landing a job is very tough, lots of competition. And families can be a pain to deal with. Better off to just do private tutoring.
maruss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: I would definitely second the last posting! Reply with quote

I can still remember from my encounters with the 'nouveau-riche' in Russia that most of them- and their off-spring- were usually quite vile!The best way to describe them is that they know the cost of things but not their value-(often the cost does not bother them either!).They have no respect for anyone, even more so for those who they consider to be below them and often made their money from dubious means.
Being despised my the majority of population makes them even more insecure and they live in fear of any changes in the political regime which might see them behind bars and maybe penniless!Consequently, those who have the opportunity own properties in London and other places where they feel safer and often keep their wives and children there.
As one of my Russian friend says, if Stalin were still around,
they would all have been shot!
elkotik

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spasibo wrote:
Yeah the salaries are real. But landing a job is very tough, lots of competition. And families can be a pain to deal with. Better off to just do private tutoring.

Tutoring can be equally hard, if not harder because of the visa...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: