Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I've been turned in every direction possible, somebody help!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkcaudill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: I've been turned in every direction possible, somebody help! Reply with quote

ok, I'm new here, and I'm delighted to find a web resource. I have had great difficulty finding much in terms of help from ANYONE as yet, even the state consultant for ESL has trouble returning my emails.
Let me tell you what I want to do:

I want to teach english as a second language. I want to teach outside of the United States, but I'd like to be able to teach in the states, because of course some day I'll have sick parents and have to be here again for awhile... But someone please steer me in the right direction.
here's what I've been told:
*I should major in English, so say English department heads
*I should major in a foreign language, so say Humanities heads
*I should major in Elementary Education, then get an endorsement, for a total of 6 years of school minimum, with no master's degree still!

I am having wayyy too much difficulty finding concrete information on what makes me employable as an english teacher. I love foreign language, I've been an exchange student, hosted them, and I help out with a group of Sudanese immigrants here in town, teaching adults english as a volunteer position.
I've been told I should get the CELTA or the Trinity endorsement, that alot of foreign schools don't recognize most degrees, etc.
I've heard that the US department of Defense has alot of foreign positions open through NATO, but like I said, I've also been told alot of things that were totally wrong. I'm really getting desparate here...somebody help me out with some concrete info, and some good web resources!

thanks so much in advance!

David K Caudill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
J.B. Clamence

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: I've been turned in every direction possible, somebody h Reply with quote

I want to teach english as a second language. I want to teach outside of the United States, but I'd like to be able to teach in the states

Um... I don't think anyone is going to be able to help you with this until you figure out what you want..

here's what I've been told:
*I should major in English, so say English department heads
*I should major in a foreign language, so say Humanities heads
*I should major in Elementary Education, then get an endorsement, for a total of 6 years of school minimum, with no master's degree still!

Well, I've never seen a job advertisement looking specifically for a foreign language major. English is probably best, but you could do Education as well. I would say a more general education degree would be better as you would be more flexible that way in having expertise to teach adults as well. You should get a certificate like a CELTA as well. If you haven't started college yet, you have a lot of time to think about it.

I hope that helped..
dkcaudill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by "like to able to teach in the United States" I meant that I would like to have enough qualifications to do either of these options. I guess my next question is,
Are there reputable, widely recognized programs for TESOL, and would be an add-on to say, a bachelor's degree in elementary education?

what I am going for here is versatility, I don't want to spend time taking classes that won't mean anything to anyone outside of just getting me a certificate. I am a sophomore at a state college, my major is elementary
ed. I looked at the TEFL International website, any thoughts on pursuing this? Anything I should know up front?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Celeste

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: Take this to actual teachers in your area. Reply with quote

I am a Canadian, but from what I have heard, most states have different requirements for ESL teachers. To teach ESL abroad, you really only need to have a bachelor's degree (in any discipline) and a TEFL certification is helpful, but not mandatory. I would like to recommend a website called teachers.net (it has many different bulletin boards on it, and most of the teachers that write in are from the states. I would really advise calling a school in the area that you want to teach and asking the administration and someone in the ESL department what they think you should do. An English degree is not necessarily the best way to go unless you want to teach high school English (literature and written communication skills, not ESL).
Paul G

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DK:

It would be helpful if you posted the state that you are in as teaching credential requirements vary from state to state. To teach in a K-12 school you need to fufill the requirements for the state you are in.

To teach in a community college or some universities you need at least a Master's.

A CELTA, while widely recognized internationaly, doesn't mean squat in the US.

TEFL Int'l is a well respected course.

An English major is generally geared more towards literature than the English language.

You should check and see what your university offers in the area of Applied Linguistics. You might be able to get a TESL Cert. on your way towards getting a BA in applied linguistics.

If your ultimate goal is to teach at an American university, you can get a Master's, or even a PhD, by distance while you are working teaching EFL overseas. You could accomplish the PhD in 3-6 years at an Australian university by distance courses and the price is really inexpensive when compared to getting the same degrees in the US.
Sherri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to decide what age group you want to teach. If you want to teach kids then you would be best getting a degree in education with a specialization in ESL. This way you can teach for international schools abroad, probably one of the best ways to go. When you return to the States you can fit into the state school system.

If you want to teach adults, then you should aim at best for an MA in TEFL (teaching English as a foreign language). This will help you to land some of the better jobs abroad and when you come back to the States you would be able to teach in community colleges and other language schools. Second best is a good TEFL certificate (plus a BA in any subject) which will help you get a good job abroad. I say it is second best because you will have problems finding a job with this qualification when you come home. Most places prefer a masters.

I hope this helps.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:58 am    Post subject: Qualifications Reply with quote

Get qualifications as a teacher in your own jurisdiction. Then do a Trinity Cert or something like it. Do not forget the opportunities to teach in International Scools with American Curriculum. Good conditions and it makes it easier to fit in when you go back to Kansas or wherever.

I do not recommend becoming a teacher of foreign languages in the US or UK. No one wants to learn !!! Maybe elementary school teaching ?
Or English ?
dkcaudill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, first off, thank you all for being as helpful as you have. I've ordered some videos from TEFL International. I think I could handle a semester in Thailand:) for the prices they quote, which seem great to me. I'm in Tennessee, and it's a horrible place to be a teacher in terms of salary, benefits, etc. so when I come back from my overseas job i'll settle in some other part of the country probably. I want to teach at an elementary level at first, then perhaps as I pursue a master's later on I'll teach secondary.
So the consensus(sp?) is: get a bachelor's degree in applied linguistics(sounds much more fun, I love linguistics) or education(garuntees me a job if or when I come back home). Don't bother with my state's endorsement(which is 20 hours on top of my bachelor's, and provides no stipend in my state) get an international certification like the TEFL Int... right?

Tennessee certifies K-8 with a bachelor's.
arioch36

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the consensus is you have to decide what you want. Especially, pick a country.I don't think you will be teaching elementary school overseas. You must decide where you want to teach, and then it will be k-school, high school, college, or language school (Usually high school students, up, usually adults.)
I don't recommend for or against a certification course. Assuming you are young, and have the money, I think it could be fun for you, maybe help you a little. There are very few places in the world that care about the cert. I would definitely agree that you wait on the Masters. If you have never taught much, you will have no idea whether what they are teaching is good or bad. Working and then taking a MA will give you a different (not always favorable) impression on the MA.
Personally, I would reccomend that you involve yourself now with some teaching, and start picking up the language.
dkcaudill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to be properly trained and qualified to teach the most places in the world as possible, including the United States. I want to avoid degree and or certificates that will limit the scope of where I can work, what I can do, etc. I don't think this is asking too much, and I don't think this is being confused at all. Being confused is being like other kids my age, who want to drop out of college and move to LA, where they plan to wait tables until they get "noticed" and then become stars. Wink
Anda

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 3:39 am    Post subject: The Future Reply with quote

A degree in Education with a fucus on agriculture would be the way to go. This will be the last year of this English teaching game as it is now. After a major war food production is the major need plus now there are plenty of aid jobs teaching agriculture but yes the money is bad but soon a job will be a job and people will not have the money for English lessons like now. Most people working in Asia as English teachers are in fact working for introduction clubs, social clubs or child minding centers.
dkcaudill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't agree with you that teaching english is a bubble about to burst, teaching agriculture is something that the Peace Corps. here would be able to train me in for volunteer work. I have considered this avenue, regardless of pay though, because it sounds rewarding, and interesting. I hope to teach in Japan, or the EU. As myself and my future spouse will both be looking for teaching jobs together, we'll have to rule out countries or cultures that generally don't treat women with the respect they do men. This is something I've just started to consider, any one got any ideas on where to stay away from?
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:30 am    Post subject: Your Requirements Reply with quote

I think it unlikely that you will find a job teaching English in a country where women are treated as they are in the USA.

It seems odd to me that you want to leave the US but expect to go to a place where things are the same !!!
arioch36

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:48 am    Post subject: Equal Treatment Reply with quote

Have to agree, not sure which countries you could go to and find equal treatment, or western concept of respect. But I find most countries will treat western women decently..they just don't always treat their own women that way
I loved learning in college, but the truth is...it does not matter very much what your degree is is...unless you know want to teach math, and you only took english lit courses. I see a BS as a first step, go out, get experience, and then you will have a better idea what you want. Most BS degrees are very general
dkcaudill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
scot:"It seems odd to me that you want to leave the US but expect to go to a place where things are the same !!!"

I'm looking for countries without excessively hard treatment of women. I'm not looking for some magical egalitarian atmosphere where my wonderful wife will frollick about in political equality. We have no problem with different, otherwise we wouldn't be interested in travelling. She was raised in the deep south, so she's seen her share of the mild/cultural mistreatment and knows how to handle that. I'm just looking for a place where she won't be required legally to cover up, stay quiet, or face severe punishment.
I think we've decided Japan would be the best place to start. Then perhaps Italy, because I've got alot of friends there from my stay as an exchange student. It would probably be a nice contrast to Japanese students, haha.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: